C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using DOT 5 vs using DOT 5.1 in a brand new fully replaced brake system

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 08:19 AM
Eric P
Drifting

Received 428 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
what about DOT 4? Came out in 2006 so the Factory never knew about it when the C3 was designed.
GM doesn't recommend DOT4 at all , only DOT3 ... Just looking up a 94 Corvette that uses DOT3 factory when new and GM still says DOT3 , now look up transmission fluid on the same vehicle and now TSB from 2007 states use Dexron 6 that wasn't available back in 1994 yet they still say DOT3 , can you imagine the trouble I would be in if a customer had an accident and I put the wrong fluid in it , the attorney's would have a field day on me so no thanks
Old 04-30-2024, 12:31 PM
C3Cliff
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought 4 SS sleeved calipers, new hoses, and a new master cylinder for my 69 in 1982. Flushed the lines with alcohol (a solvent for glycol based brake fluid) and blew the lines out with air. Put everything together and used DOT 5 fluid. 42 years so far without any leaks. I've also used DOT 5 in hydraulic clutch systems on heavy equipment such as mobile cranes where DOT 3 regularly causes problems with leaking slave cylinders. My personal opinion is that these newly discovered supposed incompatibility problems are related to improper selection of the rubber used in the seals and not some change in the chemical makeup of DOT 5 fluid. Any chemical compatibility chart you check will show that EPDM is compatible with both DOT 3 and DOT 5.

Quick Reply: Using DOT 5 vs using DOT 5.1 in a brand new fully replaced brake system