C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried one of those “Ready to Run” tach drive distributors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 08:04 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,106 Likes on 751 Posts

Default Anyone tried one of those “Ready to Run” tach drive distributors?

I need a tach drive distributior for my dad’s 65’ that will fit under the ignition shielding box, so it needs to be a small frame style and has to have tach drive. I’ve already had a MSD pro billet with a Digital 6 box in it and the factory/repro TI ignition stuff, and had lots of problems with both. The only thing that runs right, all of the time is an HEI, but it doesn’t fit in the ignition box. Thought about trying one of these “Pro series” distributors….

Anyone have any experience with them? I know they are Chinese stuff but…

https://www.topflightautomotive.com/...lor_attr=Black
Old 05-16-2024, 08:10 AM
Mdbirk
Burning Brakes

Received 675 Likes on 354 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Pro Series Ready to Run R2R Distributor for Chevy Corvette SB/BB, Tach Drive, V8 Engine, Black Cap https://www.walmart.com/ip/319716223
The following users liked this post:
ajrothm (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 08:10 AM
Mdbirk
Burning Brakes

I threw my msd away and bought that! Walmart app says they're out of stock but the actually website has them. https://swperformanceparts.com/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3ZayBhDRARIs APWzx8oA6k1_DOH0pwGL8ET7c2__3XXz_gckTd6G qw3hpDJOjBosnOWvpKsaArmDEALw_wcB
Old 05-16-2024, 08:39 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Have you put some miles on it? Run well with no issues?
Old 05-16-2024, 09:06 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 887 Likes on 700 Posts

They are all over ebay for $120 shipped... I use a chinese HEI myself and havent had any issues in 12 years except the ingnition modules have failed multiple times but thats a quality problem with the replacement parts and I changed my vacuum advance can for something with more tunability.

The truth is if the High dollar stuff was really so much better we wouldnt be having this conversation would we?
Mdbirk (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 09:09 AM
Mdbirk
Burning Brakes

10,xxx miles.... Trouble free
ajrothm (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 09:22 AM
ML67
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 50 Posts

What issues are/have you experienced? I've run the MSD billet tach drive and old 6AL box for close to 30 yrs w/ only a single coil issue. Was your issue w/ the digital 6 box or the distributor? The distributors, while not cheap, are pretty basic and simple. Do you have access to an old MSD box? Might be worth a try. Unfortunately I've heard the modern (offshored?) MSD stuff isn't what it was back in the day...
Old 05-16-2024, 09:48 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
They are all over ebay for $120 shipped... I use a chinese HEI myself and havent had any issues in 12 years except the ingnition modules have failed multiple times but thats a quality problem with the replacement parts and I changed my vacuum advance can for something with more tunability.

The truth is if the High dollar stuff was really so much better we wouldnt be having this conversation would we?
I have one of those 49.99 ebay China specials. Has worked perfect for about 13 years now. Not a fan of the red so I threw a black cap and retainer on it.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:04 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ML67
What issues are/have you experienced? I've run the MSD billet tach drive and old 6AL box for close to 30 yrs w/ only a single coil issue. Was your issue w/ the digital 6 box or the distributor? The distributors, while not cheap, are pretty basic and simple. Do you have access to an old MSD box? Might be worth a try. Unfortunately I've heard the modern (offshored?) MSD stuff isn't what it was back in the day...
Hey bud!

Man my old school 6AL box and Pro billet distributor in my 71’has been flawless for 30k miles/15 years, but I’ve had nothing but problems in the 65’ 396 car. Started out with the repro TI stuff and had misfire issues on the dyno, along with intermitten run issues on the road. Swapped all those parts around with no smoking gun found.

I said screw it and bought all new MSD pro billet distributor and the Digital 6Al black box. It worked fine for a few months then car started acting up. Odd misfires, surges, erratic timing etc, one side of the motor would pop hard through a side pipe. Bought another new Digital 6AL box, same problem. Inspected the distributor internally for rust etc, it’s clean as a whistle, air gap seems to be in spec.

So I slapped a Chinese MSD street fire HEI in for testing and the car runs flawless. Ran it for 300 miles, no issues..other then no tach drive and the ignition shielding doesn’t fit.

Yesterday I decided to try the pro billet/Digital 6AL box again and it instantly ran different/bad. It runs/acts like the timing is retarded, even with it as high as 49*.

I’m not sure what it is. It worked fine in the beginning for a few months so I know the wiring is good… the new style harnesses are almost fool proof. That said, I ripped it all off yesterday, put the HEI back in it and the car runs perfect.

Hence my search for a small frame HEI or “ready to run” style distributor.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:08 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 793 Likes on 555 Posts

Been running an MSD 8572 Tach drive with a 6AL box for 20+ problem free years. Not inexpensive though. Should find a cap/plug design that will fit under the shield.
As far as the Chinese part for $150. Might last years, might last minutes. You have to decide if you want to take that chance.

I always look at a companies "About Us" on their websites. It's telling that they only mention a warehouse and not a manufacturing facility.

​​​​​​​

TOP STREET PERFORMANCE

Top Street Performance is a privately-owned company based in Southern California. We have a respectable history in the automotive aftermarket industry, cultivating relationships with a network of quality parts manufacturers along the way. This means that we are able to provide premium parts and bargain pricing, all guaranteed by our one-year warranty.

Thanks to our hard work and dedication, we have been fortunate enough to enjoy steady growth over the past several years. We recently moved from an 18,000 sq ft warehouse in Downey, CA to a 52,000 sq ft facility in Santa Fe Springs, CA. This has allowed us to stock more products, ship orders more quickly and efficiently, and increase our sales and support teams to accommodate more customers.

Customer service is at the center of everything we do at Top Street Performance. Whether you're looking for a part or two for your resto-mod or performance upgrade, or whether you're a shop or distributor looking to add TSP's high-quality performance parts to your product line, we've got you covered. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff is ready to assist you in anything you may need.

TSP has been a proud member of the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) for over a decade, and we are an authorized retailer of premium products from industry-leading manufacturers.

Top Street Performance: Quality. Performance. Period.
Caveat emptor - just say'in
ctmccloskey (05-20-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 10:45 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 801 Likes on 571 Posts

Just my quick glance at that distributor. A couple comments and questions.

The pickup coil and reluctor wheel look to be copies of the Ford design. This should be a durable setup, and the signal from that sensor coil should be usable with several ignition module types, including HEI modules. Ignition coil choices should be simple.

What is the height of the setup? The cap looks taller than the older style caps. Will it fit under the shielding?
Old 05-16-2024, 10:58 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

You may be able to find some reviews on these distributors from some of the other vendors like ecklers or Summit since they all sell the same version I believe zip or ecklers carries two different versions of the same type of distributor
ajrothm (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 11:00 AM
Mdbirk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 69427
Just my quick glance at that distributor. A couple comments and questions.

The pickup coil and reluctor wheel look to be copies of the Ford design. This should be a durable setup, and the signal from that sensor coil should be usable with several ignition module types, including HEI modules. Ignition coil choices should be simple.

What is the height of the setup? The cap looks taller than the older style caps. Will it fit under the shielding?
I run a tunnel ram and it fits perfect, sorry I never stopped to think about the shield as I don't use one but I think it's just about 6 1/2in maybe 6 7/8ths....will that work? The website states it's a direct replacement. It's been really reliable. I bought the matching coil from them too.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:08 AM
Mdbirk
Burning Brakes

Okay I actually went out and measured it, it's 5 1/8 wide and from the top of the intake is 6 7/8, the one it came with that had the shield is 5 1/8 wide and it looks like it would about 7 7/16 once installed. So should fit
ajrothm (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 11:09 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

You may be able to find some reviews on these distributors from some of the other vendors like ecklers or Summit since they all sell the same version I believe zip or ecklers carries two different versions of the same type of distributor
Old 05-16-2024, 11:42 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,959 Likes on 3,053 Posts

For $120.00 it might be worth it to just drop one in and see how it runs.
When I bought my 73 it had a cheap unknown brand Chinese HEI in it and ran flawless for six years.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:05 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 930 Likes on 804 Posts

Amazingly I've been running my MSD 8572 for 28 years with an 31-year old MSD-6A (analog I reckon!) and it has never hiccupped.
The dang distributor does rust terribly so I clean it every couple of years and I've been coating the internals with Silver POR-15 - to keep the rust at bay for years.

BUT it has never failed me..... even when it was rusty AF. That being said I would buy one of those cheap ones if I had to replace it today..... MSD price is totally ridiculous.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone tried one of those “Ready to Run” tach drive distributors?

Old 05-16-2024, 02:32 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 809 Posts

DUI makes an excellent tach drive HEI.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:47 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
DUI makes an excellent tach drive HEI.
They do. But it doesn't fit under the shielding.
ajrothm (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 10:25 PM
ML67
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 50 Posts

That sucks...if I understand correctly you swapped out both the distributor and digital box for HEI? I'm curious if the distributor might work w/ an old analog MSD 6/6AL box? As I mentioned above, my only problem was w/ a coil where the barrel contact / brass sleeve pulled out of the coil when I changed wires and ran intermittently until I found the problem and swapped coils.

I know it can be a pita, but have you iteratively replaced the coil then the box w/ a known good box - like your old box in your 71? Just thinking out loud... ignition and electronic gremlins aren't much fun...good luck

Quick Reply: Anyone tried one of those “Ready to Run” tach drive distributors?