C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I tell if I have Hydraulic or mechanical lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 03:53 AM
Jerr79Shark
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I tell if I have Hydraulic or mechanical lifters?

Is there a way to tell if you are running Hydraulic or mechanical lifters just by looking at the Head layout? My Vette doesn't have the original engine and I am not sure what the PO was running in it, but the valve lash is off and I want to be sure I set it correctly.
Thanks in advance,
Jeremy :seeya
Old 02-14-2003, 06:06 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How can I tell if I have Hydraulic or mechanical lifters? (Jerr79Shark)

You cannot tell by just looking. Everything is identical. Hydraulic lifters are the most common even in aftermarket cams. Its is hard to explain but you should be able to hear the difference. If the valve train is quiet except for one on two clicky lifters you have hydraulic. If the whole train is noisey but not clicky (kind of a mechanical sound) you may have solids.Why do you think the lash is off?
Old 02-14-2003, 07:24 AM
dman535
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How can I tell if I have Hydraulic or mechanical lifters? (silvervetteman)

Pop a valve cover and push down on a rocker arm (towards the lifter side) If you can feel the lifter giving way to the pushrod, than its probably hydraulic. If the pushrod doesn't budge and some of the rockers on totally closed valved feel loose, than its probably solid.

Old 02-14-2003, 08:38 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Default Re: How can I tell if I have Hydraulic or mechanical lifters? (Jerr79Shark)

I have the same problem. The only sure way is to pull the timing cover, cam sprocket and get the cam manufacturer and part no. off the nose of cam. Then call them to get info and a cam card. You will especially need the cam card if it turns out you have a solid lifter cam. While you're in there you might as well replace the timing set and water pump, hoses....and get one of those trick 3-piece timing covers.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:49 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: How can I tell if I have Hydraulic or mechanical lifters? (Brettmc)

2 years ago I was wondering the same thing. One guy swore I had solid lift, so I got the specs on what the lash should be and checked it.....

I have less than .0015 lash and solid lift lash should be way more than that, soooo....
Old 02-14-2003, 09:40 PM
SEE3ER
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

When I bought this car, the block number said I had hydraulic lifters. So I got it home and started tearing down and rebuilding, adjusting and tuning. I took out the manual, and adjusted evry valve for hydraulic tolerances.THE CAR WOULD NOT EVEN START! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Did the whole sequence over again, and no start, just fast engine turn over like it had no spark or fuel! :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss
So..... I ripped into it again, but set all the valve lashes to solid lifter specs, and :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: the car flies! But I have to tell ya, you cannot hear my lifters, their quiet! :sleep:
Good luck! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To How can I tell if I have Hydraulic or mechanical lifters?

Quick Reply: How can I tell if I have Hydraulic or mechanical lifters?