C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 08:42 PM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems

The car cranks just fine but I usually have to rev the engine to keep her on. This is worse in colder weather. The choke is where it should be. Do you guys know what could be causing this problem and how to fix it, It would really help to get this solved.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:19 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Starting problems (SCVetteGuy)

So the problem continues even after the car warms up?

Does it rev OK? If not, maybe timing???

If so, it may be starving for fuel; clogged fuel filter, bad/leaking fuel pump, carburetor problem, ???
Old 02-25-2003, 09:25 PM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Default Re: Starting problems (jerryp58)

When its warm it works pretty good, but when its cold its terrible. Seems to rev ok. Don't know if it helps you know more but I have bad gas milage too, 10 miles to the gallon.

[Modified by SCVetteGuy, 2:34 AM 2/26/2003]
Old 02-26-2003, 12:43 AM
WhyFly
Instructor

Yikes...10 Miles per gallon...If you're planning on doing a lot of driving this Summer...let me know which station you usually fill er up at and I 'll be buying some stock.. :crazy: If you're satisfied the choke is operating correctly I still wouldn't completely rule out your carb. Do you smell excess fuel at all? Will it idle either warm or cold, or do you have to coax her with extra fuel?....Rough idle or smooth?...If you're happy with the carb and fuel supply, maybe your timing has slipped. Lose hold down..? Broken tooth on the gear? You might have a coil problem, bad rotor or maybe a cracked distributor cap. A hairline crack can cause you a ton of grief...What the heck..they're reasonably cheap to replace and a few more things to eliminate from the equation..Hmmmm, you might also want to check for a vaccum leak..Hope you find it soon...gas just keeps going through the roof....Good Luck..Let us know how you make out.. :thumbs:
Old 02-26-2003, 01:26 AM
77Dream
Drifting

I would say that is fuel related, mabe carb problems, maybe not. Might be getting too much, too little, not enough spark to burn it.

Then again... I could be wrong.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:43 AM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Default Re: Starting problems (WhyFly)

Yeah 10 mpg is scary!!! I'll be sure to tell you which station i'm going to!! I smell excess fuel at times when I get out of the car, and you can smell it in the exhaust. It idles at about 500 when its cold, and it cuts off that low. (This is with the car in park.) When warm it idles at 1000. Its usually much better with warm weather. I'd say the idle is rough until it warms up. I don't know if its related, but when I start the car i usually get some nice white smoke out of the exhaust, but mostly when the car hasn't been driving in a few hours, but when starting it up after about a 20 min break, not much smoke. Thanks for your help guys!!
Old 02-26-2003, 08:18 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

i have any 80 that im working on for a friend that had the same problems,swapped carbs. with a lars rebuilt carb. and its night and day,runs incredible now,so im sending this one back to lars to be rebuilt.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:21 PM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Default Re: Starting problems (patsnitrovette)

Hmm perhaps so, I looked in an Eckler's magazine and it said that my carb would not work with a stock intake manifold, but my car has a stock intake manifold. Makes you wonder.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:10 AM
WhyFly
Instructor

Hey SCVG...after reading your last post..and some of the things happening with your car..if I was a betting man..I bet a bundle on you having a carb problem there somewhere..It might be flooding itself..sticking float..
engine is getting too much fuel to burn white puff of smoke and the
smell of fuel in the exhaust says it's burning too rich...Try a carb swap
if ya can and see if it makes a difference..I think you might solve your problem. Let us know what you eventually find..You've got me curious.. :thumbs:
Old 02-27-2003, 07:37 AM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Default Re: Starting problems (WhyFly)

Ahh thanks for your help, I'll have to see about doing that, although, being 17 I don't have much cash. But I'll see what I can do, considering the amount of money it will probably save me getting gas if i fix it.

Get notified of new replies

To Starting problems

Quick Reply: Starting problems