C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talked to a ricer at the lights today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 11:14 AM
WillRace4Food
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Talked to a ricer at the lights today... (Corey 68)

Believe it or not I've had more want to race me in my 95 Formula. I was sitting at a red light and two pulled up beside me(they were behind each other). They started revving...I just looked over and pointed and laughed at em and turned my radio up. They didn't like this too much I guess so when the light was about to change I heard their little hamster motor rev to about 12 million rpms and when green he let out on the clutch and it bogged. I let off the clutch easy..just like normal and watched him buzz through the intersection slowly pulling away. His buddy was now beside me and was looking at me with a big grin on his face...I smilled..clutched it...and launched. By now his buddy was about 5 cars ahead of me. I shifted to second...still spinning and the rear was drifting out I came by him. He was looking at me with bug eyes and mouth wide open. I hit third and proceeded to put about 10 quick cars on him, let out and tapped the brakes to let him know I was done. They pulled up to me at the next light and was like..holly crap man..what you done to that thing. I just looked and smiled. Intake and exhaust. . The look on his face was priceless.
Weve had a bunch want to race us in my wife’s car too. 99 WS6 Formula that has bolt ons and runs 12.0s@ 111. My wife likes to laugh at them and ask..are you serious...you cant be serious and I will give them a rev shot. They usually buzz away with their tail tucked.
I respect the ones that took the time and effort to actually make their car quick. The ones who put a fart tip on it and a intake on and think they can rule the world are the ones I have problems with. I guess if I rode around in moms mini van my whole life a civic would feel fast too. Oh well...I try to help them when I can and have given many a ride in my cars. The realize what torque is and what real hp feels like. Its my task to educated the future motor heads of the world.
Tim

[Modified by WillRace4Food, 4:16 PM 3/27/2003]
Old 03-27-2003, 11:39 AM
terryrudy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Talked to a ricer at the lights today... (zwede)

Thats awesome! :)

I had a dude last summer pull up next to my ricer in a convertible Malibu and rev the engine. He called over "you wanna run?" and I enthusiastically said "Yes!" and then he smiled and made the turn at the light. :( What a major disappointment. Beautiful car tho.
-terry

A while back a riced out something or another (small japanese car) pulled up next to me at a light.

HIM: So you wanna race?

ME: Are you sure you want to race me?

HIM (Looks at the car for a few seconds): Not really.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:41 AM
Draginslayer
Intermediate

Default Re: Talked to a ricer at the lights today... (1bad69)

For being still in school I am around many ricers. Most of them are fart cans with a shopping cart spoiler on them. Every once in a while there is an actual nice import out there. It's always the ones that dont have fart cans that you might have to worry about. When my car was a stock 77 it still beat most of the imports but always had a few I couldnt beat. I mean that stock 180 hp was just too much for them in a car that wieghts twice as much as theres :D

I've had many shopping carts pull up next to me going down the road in rush hour, push the clutch, rev the engine, and then have to slam the brakes because the car in front of them is stopping. Most kids who drive the fart cans are just plain stupid and some think of the stupidest ideals, like trying to race during rush hour traffic. DUH :lolg:
Being 18 and owning a vette I will probably never have anything else (maybe a truck for cargo reasons) but I love this car, it is a true american sports car. I have so many future plans for it but job + school = slow income so not much to put into car right now. I will get things done eventually. My parents have always wanted to have a vette so when they bought it for me as a project they said they would help with a few things so they can drive it around. The day I get a decent job I'm going to pay my parents off for all their help by buying them cruise tickets or something where they can go to relax and have fun as a big thanks from me.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:47 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Talked to a ricer at the lights today... (zwede)

A while back a riced out something or another (small japanese car) pulled up next to me at a light.

HIM: So you wanna race?

ME: Are you sure you want to race me?

HIM (Looks at the car for a few seconds): Not really.

:lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Old 03-27-2003, 01:01 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a Vette related story, but an indication of ignorance. Sitting at a light in my 02 Formula Bird, a HondaMitsuNeon something or other pulls up next to me. You know...sticker fartcan wing thing. The car is full of teens, and one rolls down the window. Pointing to the front tires he yells....do a burn out!! :conehead
Eddie
Old 03-27-2003, 01:27 PM
BrianandDenise
Burning Brakes

And it kills me that they have such an aire about them while driving but if you corner one they can't compete with the Vette. Actually, they will mostly say yeah, Corvette's do kick butt.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:22 PM
stolemyname
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Talked to a ricer at the lights today... (BrianandDenise)

You shouldn't label all imports as ricers, or diss them all completely as being slow. As a current C3 owner, previous owner of 3 firebirds (2 LT-1's and a junky '84 w/5.0), and a previous owner of a '93 Turbo All-wheel-drive Eagle Talon (Mitsubishi Eclipse) I can assure you that the "ricer" 4 cyl was the cheapest and easiest to make it go fast. For under a $100 you can take a $3,000 AWD turbo 4 cyl from being a 15 second car to the low 14's/high 13's. For another grand you can EASILY get it into the 12's. As long as everything is in good shape (clutch etc.) you can get an early model AWD Turbo Eclipse/Talon to around 12.0 in the 1/4 for a total investement of around $5,000 INCLUDING the price of the car. Might be a bit ghetto (ie abs pipe to and from the intercooler), and would require doing much of your own work such as some porting, bit it can be done. It IS being done, and probably more often than you know or want to admit.

Don't go jumping on my telling me how fast for how cheap a Vette can be modded, or that if you add forced induction to a V8 forged internals then a 4 cyl could never match the power. I know these things. I'm just saying if you know what you are doing or can research the Internet any highschool kid on a burger flipping budget can make a "ricer" import that is faster than many Vette's on this board, including mine. The biggest problem is they just don't have any style. I'm keeping the Vette and I dumped the (much faster) import.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:51 PM
garagedweller2
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Talked to a ricer at the lights today... (IRON WILL)

Why do these import guys mod their cars for drag strip duty, when they're cars are so much better on road courses?
Old 03-27-2003, 03:54 PM
4DLuvOfSpeed
Advanced

Default Re: Talked to a ricer at the lights today... (REDSHARKONBOYDS)

Whos the guy on the forum that said
"ricers are like tampons...all the fingers need em.."
love that quote. :reddevil
The one I've heard goes "Hondas are like tampons; every wussy has one"

Substitute the word "wussy" with whatever other word you see fit :lol: :lol:
Old 03-27-2003, 07:47 PM
Marc80
Racer

You guys crack me up. I can't wait to get my vette back from the paint shop and get to driving again. I love how fast I can get up to speed limit with barely a sound from the tires (If I am careful). But don't hate ricers ... not deserves a vette! We just need to keep paciently (sp?) educating them
Old 03-27-2003, 11:10 PM
TheVin
Instructor

Default Re: Talked to a ricer at the lights today... (joeveto)

Please nothing sad about that STYX rules, not to mention RUSH,KANSAS,BOSTON, LED ZEPPLIN----don't get me started on the new crap that's out there now-----you guys are too funnu keep it up. Vinny
Old 03-28-2003, 12:58 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Talked to a ricer at the lights today... (Corzvette69)

One of my many ricer stories.

I was hanging out at the local scene (on a thursday night no less) and a kid with a Honda S2000 was showin off what mommy bought him for graduating.
Poor kid doesn't even realize that he'd have to dump the clutch at about 8000rpm to do anything with that car. No power at all in the lower half of the RPMs.

The problem when you build up a 4 cylinder is that the engine doesn't last as long as a V8. It won't be nearly as reliable.

Quick Reply: Talked to a ricer at the lights today...