C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD ignition experts,need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 08:10 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD ignition experts,need some help

yesterday,while driving,the car just shut off all of a sudden.after checking everything,i found that there is no power coming to the + at the coil from the msd box.i tried another coil but to no avail.there are 2 wires going to the box from the alternator,1 ground and 1 positive.4 wires coming out of the box going to the coil,none of which have 12 v.i took some pics,but i cant upload to the forum.that would explain it better.does that mean the MSD box is broken?can i just bypass the box,take 12v from the alternator and bring it to the + at the coil?
thanks for the help
Old 03-28-2003, 08:31 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: MSD ignition experts,need some help (java0881)

To bypass the MSD I think you just take 2 jumper cables that come with the MSD ignition and jump both sides of the coil. The coil on the positive side has 2 wires, one inner and one outer. Just take the jumper and jump the inner to the outer. Do the same on the negative side.
Never done this but the instructions say that if the ignition fails take the 2 supplied wires and do the jumper to get home.
Hope it works for you. I carry the 2 jumper wires in the car at all times. Haven't needed it yet in 13 years.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:34 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

There was was post here a few days ago that stated that our MSD coils have to be vertical and not use the clip on the intake because it holds the coil on an angle. Since these coils are oil filled the terminals are not always covered and short out. If the coil shorts out chances are your MSD box has been damaged as well. I am re-installing my coil this weekend verticle for this reason. Sorry for the bad news, hopefully yours is not damaged beyond repair.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:47 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: MSD ignition experts,need some help (gdh)

There was was post here a few days ago that stated that our MSD coils have to be vertical and not use the clip on the intake because it holds the coil on an angle. Since these coils are oil filled the terminals are not always covered and short out. If the coil shorts out chances are your MSD box has been damaged as well. I am re-installing my coil this weekend verticle for this reason. Sorry for the bad news, hopefully yours is not damaged beyond repair.
gdh....

Which MSD coils are you speaking about? All of them? Blaster 2.... etc?
Old 03-28-2003, 08:50 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

Default Re: MSD ignition experts,need some help (norvalwilhelm)

Just take the jumper and jump the inner to the outer. Do the same on the negative side.

i have 12v coming from the starter to the outer + on the coil.so what you are saying is to connect the outer with the inner contacts.(i dont have the original instructions )i will try that tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:53 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

yep i had my coil installed on the intake manifold at an angle :smash:
Old 03-28-2003, 11:35 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Here is what I learned about MSD not long ago. I have a 2 wire coil setup. (Blaster 2) When my poping at 3000 rpm began I was told to change the coil and to check and see if I had 8-12 volts at the coil while running. I changed the coil, no difference. I checked the volts at the coil while running with an old analog (needle) volt meter. It read 2-4 volts. So I posted that info here and sent an email to MSD. The MSD tech and forum members both told me that the MSD setup is an ignition amplifier meaning the box steps the voltage up to over 400 volts, that CANNOT be read by a voltmeter because it pulsates so quickly. I sent my box off to MSD just for good measure and the sent it back with an ALL O.K.. Now this coil in the vertical position is news to me, but I shall follow it.....
Old 03-29-2003, 08:25 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just take the jumper and jump the inner to the outer. Do the same on the negative side.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have 12v coming from the starter to the outer + on the coil.so what you are saying is to connect the outer with the inner contacts.(i dont have the original instructions )i will try that tomorrow.
_______

When you installed the MSD you removed the two wires from the coil and intalled a plastic bar. Then you hooked the original positive cable to the outside termianal on this plastic bar and a new wire from the MSD to the inside of the plastic bar. My taking a jumper and jumping between the inner and outer terminal you are putting it back to stock. Do the same on the negative side and the MSD is disconnected. If the engine fires then the problem is the MSD. If not the MSD is fine.
This is a way around the MSD if it lets you down on the road. I carry the 2 small supplied jumper wires all the time in the car.
The following users liked this post:
clevan barclay (06-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2003, 08:26 AM
Bamavette74
Advanced

Default Re: MSD ignition experts,need some help (71,454,4spd)

Huh? Wha...
Coil cant be canted?
Has anyone talked to MSD about this?
Who makes a non leaning mount?
Geez, mine is leaning like the Tower of Pizza :eek:
Old 03-29-2003, 11:52 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Default Re: MSD ignition experts,need some help (Bamavette74)

[QUOTE]Huh? Wha...
Coil cant be canted?
Has anyone talked to MSD about this?

Someone in that post did talk to MSD and they said that there coils had to be verticle.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:03 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

Default Re: MSD ignition experts,need some help (norvalwilhelm)

thanks for the info norwalwilhelm.
i completely bypassed the box today,meaning 12v from starter to + at the coil and - going to the distributer and the engine immediately fired up.the coil is still good. :cheers:
Old 03-29-2003, 06:37 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I had trouble with my msd box 3 weeks after i got it it let me down a dark and deserted road.You could smell the box was fried,i called msd and talked to there tech guys,told them what happened and it did it after i got on it hard,he asked how i had the coil mounted i said horizontal,he said msd blaster coils have to be mounted vertical or the coil windings will be uncovered from the oil and overheat which will in turn fry the msd box.They took care of my box and sent me a new one and i mounted it vertical,been great ever since.Now those guys with the stock coil bracket which leans a little bit on the intake i wouldnt worry about,its not that bad.just my 2 cents.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:39 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Default Re: MSD ignition experts,need some help (patsnitrovette)

I just fired off an email to MSD Tech Support to get a definative answer re: the stock position of the coil on the intake. I have an original Torquer intake that has the slightly angled clamp on the intake so that it can fit under the air cleaner. I will post their reply as soon as I rec. one from them.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:32 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 767 Likes on 535 Posts

I've had my blaster 2 coil located at the stock location for over a year and a half now without any problems. I am interested in what MSD says about the stock location though.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:14 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Default Re: MSD ignition experts,need some help (theandies)

TTT

What did MSD say about the stock coil position on the manifold??? Any word back from them??
John
Old 03-31-2003, 05:47 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

What did MSD say about the stock coil position on the manifold??? Any word back from them?? John
Haven't heard as of today, hopefully within the next few days.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:14 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Cool.
Thanks and please let us know because I know there are a lot of us running the Blaster2 Coil.
John

Get notified of new replies

To MSD ignition experts,need some help

Old 04-01-2003, 01:37 PM
Bamavette74
Advanced

TTT

I sandblasted, painted then mounted my Blaster2 in the coil mount that came with the car. Then I read this post...

The slant aint much, but I have not started the engine yet...

Keep us posted if MSD gets back to ya!!!
Old 04-01-2003, 01:45 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: MSD ignition experts,need some help (Bamavette74)

Have the MSD tach-drive distributor, 6AL box, and a Blaster II coil mounted in the stock, slanted position. Been running that way for over two years and not a single hickup.
Old 04-01-2003, 02:10 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Default Re: MSD ignition experts,need some help (gerry72)

Have the MSD tach-drive distributor, 6AL box, and a Blaster II coil mounted in the stock, slanted position. Been running that way for over two years and not a single hickup.
I have the exact same setup without any problems either, I am just curious on what MSD says.
John

Quick Reply: MSD ignition experts,need some help