C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished Installing The New Leaf Spring

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 01:17 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Finished Installing The New Leaf Spring (bence13_33)

Glad it didn't take to long to do because I've been thinking about this too. The reason I want to do it is better handling and being able to run tires wider than the fender (don't want them rubbing).

Now for a big question, with running that strong of a spring in back do you need to run strongers ones up front for even handling (strong springs in back stock in front)?

Also will be very interesting in your comments concerning ride quality, is it beating you to death compared to the stock ride for normal driving?

Believe it or not I have another question :D, thinking about going to the steel spring because it inexpensive, do you think the composite monospring is worth the extra $$?
Old 06-05-2003, 02:50 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Default Re: Finished Installing The New Leaf Spring (Tominator)

Well Shane you and I seem to be the only ones on the forum with 420 or 420 + inch pound rear springs. I would be interested in your driving impressions. For both the track and street. Particularly your 60-foot time. Especially if you didn’t make any other changes and the track conditions are roughly the same.

I can’t tell anybody the difference because I have had them on for the last 100,000 or so miles.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:32 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Finished Installing The New Leaf Spring (Fevre)

Suprised you didn't 're-engineer' one to suite your needs.

Fevre. I did. I cut the stock steel spring down about 2 inches and also moved the mounting points on the trailing arms in an extra 1 inch per side to give me more tire clearance.
Look at this picture and you will see the hole for the bolt is moved inboard.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Tominator
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Finished Installing The New Leaf Spring (norvalwilhelm)

Norval; that some how doesn't surprise me :D, I have trouble doing the smallest things on my vet and you make new parts that are better than GM. :crazy:

So when are you going to start making BB pullies and selling them to us CF members at a cheap prices? :yesnod:
Old 06-05-2003, 04:27 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Finished Installing The New Leaf Spring (Tominator)

Thanks Tominator but I will never start mass producing anything and selling them. I will be getting a high quality Lathe and Milling machine this fall in my shop but I will use them for my personal use. The local speed shop is always bugging me to work for them and when I was young I made alot of money doing custom work. Not any more.
I shoe horses on the side and get $100 per hour cash. That is good extra money on the side and I don't have to worry about screwing anything up.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:08 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,894 Likes on 923 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Finished Installing The New Leaf Spring (gkull)

Hey don't forget the rest of us die hards!

Mine is a custom 460 lb composite one. Rides fine I think. I have 550 lb front springs, but frankly I don't do much corner carving with it. I can tell you it has much better suspension than it has tires (BFG's) so it is pretty easy to get to their limit long before the suspension does.

JIM

Quick Reply: Finished Installing The New Leaf Spring