C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instant and excessive oversteer????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 10:29 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Instant and excessive oversteer???? (Chuck Harmon)

If you were de-accelerating in the curve you probably induced oversteer. Try taking the same corner without having to slow for one of darn slugs. If everything is fine, then that was the problem. When you brake or let off the gas ("lift") into a corner you shift weight from the back end to the front in a major "weigh" (pun intended:D) causing the tail to swing out. It takes practice, but the way out of this situation is to add judicious amount of throttle to transfer the weight back to the rear to give it bite and power around the rest of the corner. Too much throttle and you can make a spin out even worse.

My next bet would be along everyone elses thoughts regarding incorrect tire pressure as the most likely culprit. If you have new tires on one end of the car but not the other and the tread difference is significantly different OR the tires are a different brand this will cause major handling problems too.

Chuck
Nope, wasnt induced, I had passed the road slug and was in steady state cornering, if not slightly accellerating. The new tires on the rear are same make and model of tire, although the tread pattern has changed so maybe there was some internal changes as well.

I used to enjoy "power induced" oversteer when I actually had some - my poor L-82 just aint up to snuff in that department.

I will be checking for the following this afternoon.

>Tire pressure - especially differentials between front and rear
>connection at front sway bar
>rear strut rod lock nuts
>rear strut bracket to center section bolts
>side yoke and/or bearing play
>rear toe
>loose or worn front a-arm bushings
>loose a-arm mounting bolts
>loose or missing a-arm shims

hows that for a start

Quick Reply: Instant and excessive oversteer????