C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stroker kit need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Ebbsvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stroker kit need advice

ok...im thinking of turning my 350 into a 383 stroker.....if anyone has done this could you please list the pro's and cons you experienced with this mod? thank you in advance
Old 08-09-2003, 09:09 PM
Cary79
Intermediate

Default Re: stroker kit need advice (Ebbsvette)

I did the stroker conversion about a year and a half ago...the hp gain was great, but even more than the the torque was just unreal. Shoot me an email if you have any questions about the swap in general. What year are you working with?
Old 08-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Ebbsvette
Instructor

Default Re: stroker kit need advice (Cary79)

its a 79....it has a brand new crate 350.....i have the tranny and everything set for some major muscle....i just need help with what way to go
Old 08-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Chevyguy1973
Intermediate

There are pros and cons to the stroker. I used the Eagle kit including a new crank, not a reground and made sure it was built using the right parts. The performance is specatular, but so was the price. For the same cost, I could have gone out and purchased a high output crate motor from GM and had a warranty to boot. I guess, it's a personal preference thing. Both can be effective and provide the chirp in the tire and a smile on the face. The only suggestion I would have on a stroker kit, is if that is the way you go, go all the way. Don't cut corners on parts quality or work. Good luck. Dave
Old 08-10-2003, 02:06 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: stroker kit need advice (Chevyguy1973)

I can get my hands on my old L-48 block, that I yanked to put in the ZZ4. I have been thinking of a "budget" 383 for my truck. Have the block bored 30 over, clean it real good. Get a stroker kit, a good cam, timing chain, oil pump and gasket set. I have some 041 heads on my truck now, along with a dual plane intake and a good carb.
Do you think that would make a decent 383 for my truck to use as a daily driver / tow vehicle ?
Old 08-10-2003, 03:21 AM
Chevyguy1973
Intermediate

Default Re: stroker kit need advice (BSeery)

Does your old block have a 4-bolt main? That is something that would always be suggested I would think, although I guess not required for a daily driver. Also, don't forget that the harmonic dampner is different. It's that whole internally balanced verse externally balanced thing. Of course that is unless you purchase a stroker crank that is balanced.

That's the only way you can tell my stroker isn't a H.O. 350. It's got the wrong balancer for a SB 350.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:23 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: stroker kit need advice (Chevyguy1973)

Does your old block have a 4-bolt main? That is something that would always be suggested I would think, although I guess not required for a daily driver. .
Nope -- it's a well used 2 bolt block.
I have no idea if the current truck motor is 2 or 4 bolt. Any way to tell, besides dropping the oil pan (that just isnt going to happen !)
Old 08-10-2003, 03:48 AM
Chevyguy1973
Intermediate

Default Re: stroker kit need advice (BSeery)

Actually you can get the casting numbers from the block itself and look those up in the little chevy books. I don't have mine out here with me, but someone in the forum should have the references. If I remember correctly, the casting number should be on the top, back of the block behind the distributor. If it is an original truck block, depending on how old it is, it should be a 4-bolt. Something else to consider is that the 73 and older blocks have a little more meat on them and are a little more durable. The old 4-bolts are getting hard to come by and a lot of speed shops keep a couple extra good blocks sitting around for projects just in case. I hope this helps, and if anyone can punch holes in my information, please square me away. Dave
Old 08-10-2003, 09:56 AM
Jack71
Drifting

I'd cost it out. You may be able to pick up a crate short block 383 at a reasonable price compared with building your own and risk hitting all those "unknowns".
Old 08-10-2003, 10:34 AM
Chevyguy1973
Intermediate

Default Re: stroker kit need advice (Jack71)

I have to admit that I agree with what Jack is saying. When you can get a reliable 350hp motor with a warranty for under 3k, and all you have to add are the intake, water pump, etc... it really makes it hard to justify building it yourself. You might save a little money, then again you might not and it may take a year to find out. All it takes is a cam to go flat, or a defective piston, or a stuck ring, or... and your cost benefit just went out the window.

Why do I do it? Because it's a hobby, and I would no more pay someone else to do it for me then I would pay them to drive my car. Shoot, I might as sell the Vette and buy one of these disposable things that they sell these days. If this isn't your gig though, here is a link for ya... http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=12496968 :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To stroker kit need advice

Quick Reply: stroker kit need advice