C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Can't find any info on Neutral Safety Switch. Anybody have some ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 10:59 AM
SLO RDE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Can't find any info on Neutral Safety Switch. Anybody have some ?

Hey, I've been having problems with starting My car and I'am not sure if its the steering wheel lock or the safety switch. At first I thought it was the steering wheel lock but it seems to start when I move the shifter all the way down then back to park or it could be because I move the wheel back & fourth.Next time it happens I will figure out which one solves the problem. Anyways I have done a search on the forum & corvettefaq and haven't found much about the neutral safety switch. My Haynes book seems to descibe it as somekind of cable you can adjust but I saw a picture on here that shows it as two wires ? I took My console apart last night and saw the two wires that look like it on the right side of the shifter. All I did is clean up the contacts and put it back together.This is on a 76 auto, can anybody help with this ? Like I said I did a search and found nothing even My assembly manual doesn't have much on it.If its the two wires I looked at where do they go to ?Thanks,Dale
Old 08-13-2003, 11:08 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: I Can't find any info on Neutral Safety Switch. Anybody have some ? (SLO RDE)

The cable is the locking mech that locks the shifter in rev while the safety switch is and elec switch attached to the trans. I have a jumper to eliminate the switch but be VERY carefull if you go this route, I started mine reaching into the car and it was in gear. :eek: Started and left 2 black marks before smashing into the garage. :(
Old 08-13-2003, 11:32 AM
76Stinger
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I Can't find any info on Neutral Safety Switch. Anybody have some ? (SLO RDE)

Someone just recently posted something on that switch. I believe the switch is right beside the shifter inside the console. Everyone that posted on it was very concerned about messing it up - got my attention.

I have the same problem with my 76 - sometimes I turn the key and zip point nada. I finally found that if I gently "bump" the shifter upwards it usually starts. Sometimes it requires shifting it into neutral and back as you mentioned.

On another note, probably not your problem but worth looking for, there is a cable lock system right beside the column on the engine side that sometimes comes loose. This has caused an issue where I cannot remove the key or start the car. You might check it out and make sure it is loose / connected. I have been running mine loose for some time because I got tired of messing with it. Picture attached. Can't remember if it is supposed to be CW or CCW but sure someone can fill in the blanks. Good Luck!

STW :seeya
Robert
76Stinger

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/76s...keyproblem.jpg

[Modified by 76Stinger, 10:34 AM 8/13/2003]
Old 08-13-2003, 11:48 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, glossed over the auto trans part. :bb
:leaving:
Old 08-13-2003, 12:44 PM
SLO RDE
Instructor

Default Re: I Can't find any info on Neutral Safety Switch. Anybody have some ? (Fevre)

Thanks Guys!
Old 08-13-2003, 12:50 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Well that's the beauty of a state with no emissions crapola and or safety maven regs to put up with.....

MY '72 here has been modded down to common sense, in other words, the motorist has to actually learn to drive...., and yes, I did start the engine once with it in gear, even being an automatic, yup, I learned to not do that again....

so what???

Only thing I do appreciate is the locking steering wheel, that way when I lean on it getting in and out of the car, it's not turning on me....makes life easier...

GENE
Old 08-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Hershey
Racer

Slo, although there is some adjustment on the switch itself be loosening the screws and moving it, there is also a pin from the switch to the shifter that moves the contact in the switch along with the shifter, completing the electrical connection in park and neutral. If this pin is bent, worn or missing the switch will not work right. Mine was missing and I didn't discover this until I got another switch. Hershey :chevy
Old 08-13-2003, 10:35 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: I Can't find any info on Neutral Safety Switch. Anybody have some ? (Hershey)

I have had mine apart. At least for 73, there are 3 copper cylinders (one for start circuit, one for backup lights, and one for seatbelt worming light) that are pushed down with a small spring. As the shifter is moved a pin moves the switch mechanism. The cylinders are allowed to make contact with 2 strips that the wires are attached to when they are in the correct positions. If the switch is not making contact when in park or neutral then the pin may be bent/broke or the contacts may need to be cleaned. There isn't anything in the steering column that would not let it start.

[Modified by redwingvette, 10:37 PM 8/13/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To I Can't find any info on Neutral Safety Switch. Anybody have some ?

Quick Reply: I Can't find any info on Neutral Safety Switch. Anybody have some ?