C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I saw at the Chevy dealer today.... two unloved, unwanted, unsold

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 01:55 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I saw at the Chevy dealer today.... two unloved, unwanted, unsold (theandies)

I don't know why anyone would pay that much for a couple of fancy seats that have the 50th anniversary logo on them :rolleyes: GM really dropped the ball on a huge milestone for the Corvette. They should have made the anniversary edition a very limited production run with some special engine option, or something like that. Give me a regular Z06 with the 50th badges on it and I'd be happy.
There is no way you could make me pay a premium for an ugly purple base model car that has the number 50 on it. I'd rather spend the money on a nice Z06 of my choice and then buy $100 worth of 50th badges and make my own damn 50th
Old 08-19-2003, 02:06 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: I saw at the Chevy dealer today.... two unloved, unwanted, unsold (MNJack)

I agree with you MNJack on that one. OK, so the dealer asking $1k for the CD player marked it up a little more. As mentioned the option did cost around $600. Now, go and buy that same unit through a Chevrolet parts department and see what they charge. I know an am/fm cassette for a Grand Am is around $600 over the counter. :eek:

And I agree that when you compare todays dollar against yesterdays(69,70) vettes now are costing about where they did back then. As someone mentioned when you factor inflation a 69 or 70 cost about $25k of todays dollars. IMO, that is overpriced comparing what you get in a C3 verses a C5.(Ride, features, economy, performance) I would spend $40k on a C5 before $25k on a brand new C3.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:37 PM
1Asterisk
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: I saw at the Chevy dealer today.... two unloved, unwanted, unsold (MNJack)

It looks to me like the radio in the new vettes, is the exact same radio thats in the full size trucks.....Or at least I havent noticed any differences (I havent looked to hard either).
Old 08-19-2003, 04:44 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I saw at the Chevy dealer today.... two unloved, unwanted, unsold (LAvetteman)

The stock radio is just begging to be replaced with a decent aftermarket unit. Can you say Alpine???

(Even my C3 has a half-decent Blaupunkt...)
Old 08-19-2003, 04:46 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Depreciation is huge. Especially now, with all the zero finance deals, etc. The cheaper they sell the new ones, the cheaper you can have the used ones. The cheaper the used ones, the more competition there is for the new ones. Do I really need the new car smell, if I can pick up a low mileage C5 in the 20's? Here we have a dealership with a handful of really nice C5's all low mileage, all in the 20's.

Is deflation far off?

:eek:
Old 08-19-2003, 04:59 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: I saw at the Chevy dealer today.... two unloved, unwanted, unsold (LAvetteman)

I would spend $40k on a C5 before $25k on a brand new C3.
What do you mean *brand new C3*? Some have got used one's with that much in 'em just in parts! :p:

I gotta agree with Munday....

You don't see the Chevy Dealers in the Houston area discounting the vettes like the rest of their cars. Every ad on the radio ends with the same disclaimer.... "except for Corvettes".
Old 08-19-2003, 04:59 PM
RJR99SS
Le Mans Master

Default Re: I saw at the Chevy dealer today.... two unloved, unwanted, unsold (joeveto)

yeah, deapriciation is definatly your friend. I'd never just buy a brand new car, when i could buy one just like it that has maybe 30k miles on it (c'mon....whats 30k miles? thats nothing) for about 1/3 the sticker price.

I knew this one guy who worked next door the chevy dealership i work at. He bought a brand new suburban from us for 50k. For one, he lived about 2 miles from work. So he drives this massive expensive car 2 miles from and back to work every day. I asked him if he gots kids or something, he said he's single. I asked if he gots any stuff to haul in it, he never really does. I ask why drive such an impractical car, he said he just likes it look. Then i find out this guy only makes about 30k a year. So he's willing to sacrifice about a year and a half of wages for a "look".

THEN. When gm started selling hummers, this guy comes in wanting to trade his suburban in. It only had like 15k miles on it, and it was like 3 years old. He only got about 23k trade in value for it.

But now you see him every morning driving to work in his hummer. Which is about 3 years wages for him. It's people like that that keep our economy going i guess.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:09 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: I saw at the Chevy dealer today.... two unloved, unwanted, unsold (RJR99SS)

That has got to be one of the stupidist stories I've ever read. That guy is a complete MORON... but yeah, if he's willing to mortgage his life to have a $50k+ vehicle, so be it.

And who pays near $50k for a Suburban? I guess that one had the map pockets filled with gold bars?! :lol:
Old 08-19-2003, 06:39 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

What dealership, Can I go take a look and talk to them?
Old 08-19-2003, 06:48 PM
Hobbes Blk '80
Instructor

Default Re: I saw at the Chevy dealer today.... two unloved, unwanted, unsold (theandies)

Haha...those anniversary cars have got to be some of the Ugliest cars, let alone C5's I have ever seen.

That colour combination just looks terrible. Im sure we could all agree that the 50th Anniversary should be something like... Red Metallic/Black Trim/Black Leather

Aluminum 427 that yields 500 HP....6spd.

There ya go, all of a sudden, the 15-25K difference is justified :lol: :lol:

I'll take my C3 and still have enough money to pay my taxes, thanks. :withstupid:

Quick Reply: I saw at the Chevy dealer today.... two unloved, unwanted, unsold