C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant of the night- It's my fault!!- Pertronix...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 04:50 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Rant of the night- It's my fault!!- Pertronix... (Bob Turner)

Bob,
I'm not sure if the 74's had HEI's. The cars before HEI's ran points with a resistance wire built into the harness. Since the resistance wire was designed to limit the voltage to the coil while the engine was running, they needed a way to supply more voltage to the ignition while starting. On my '71, there was a small wire that came off one of the starter lugs and went directly to the coil. I'm not sure which terminal it came off of, but if you look at wiring diagram for an early shark you will see how they wired it.

BTW, if you want more pwr to the coil & better starting/running, you really can't beat an aftermarket capacitive discharge ignition - like MSD 6 or Crane box. They put 450-500 volts to the coil!
I installed my system almost 10 years ago I haven't touched it since. My ignition is never a concern now.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:53 AM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Rant of the night- It's my fault!!- Pertronix... (Smokehouse69)

Smokehouse,

Thanks for this idea.... This is probably the route I will go... Easiest to implement. It beats trying to "mickey mouse" a wire run under the dash.....

Bob :cool:

Quick Reply: Rant of the night- It's my fault!!- Pertronix...