C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad start this morning, red lights in rearview mirror

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 01:38 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Bad start this morning, red lights in rearview mirror (Tom454)

yada yada yada We're all criminals. 36 in a 35 is speeding.

:jester
Not where I live. I'm not sure about otehr states, but NH has a law on the
books (so I'm told) that allows 5MPH over the limit - due to the fact that
people should be paying attention to the road - not the speedo. The local
police seem to add another 5 if you're in a 45 and up.

I had a MA statey behind me in the rain this morning. Luckily, you couldn't
really go over 55 due to all the puddles on the highway.

:seeya
Old 09-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Bad start this morning, red lights in rearview mirror (NHvette)

Yah... I discussed that point with the PA State Trooper when he pulled me over... here is what he said... for PA...

The State of PA will allow you 10 miles over the limit. But it is up to the officer to decide on an individual basis whether or not he wants to grant you that perk. In other words... an officer can legally allow you 10 without getting his OWN butt in trouble , but he does not HAVE to allow you any.

Can't speak fo NH... never been nailed there.

[Modified by Tom454, 3:08 PM 9/19/2003]
Old 09-20-2003, 11:35 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Bad start this morning, red lights in rearview mirror (Tom454)

Yah... I discussed that point with the PA State Trooper when he pulled me over... here is what he said... for PA...

The State of PA will allow you 10 miles over the limit. But it is up to the officer to decide on an individual basis whether or not he wants to grant you that perk. In other words... an officer can legally allow you 10 without getting his OWN butt in trouble , but he does not HAVE to allow you any.

Can't speak fo NH... never been nailed there.

[Modified by Tom454, 3:08 PM 9/19/2003]
Morning rush hour on I-79 southbound, 6 lane highway, speed limit 55, in the middle lane 1 marked PA cruiser with 2 occupants doing 55. Me in my crew cab pickup with two of my employees. I decide to ooze past them, in the left lane, at an indicated 58 on my speedometer. Get past them, swing into middle lane when it is safe and FLASHING RED LIGHTS. I pull over and one of the people from the vehicle (he was dressed as a trooper) comes over and asks for my papers. I asked what the problem was and I quote "If we were in an unmarked car there would be no problem, but you were just showing us up by passing a marked cruiser.". After a 15 minute stop he came back and said he would let me off with a warning! Don't ever pass marked PA State Trooper cars as you will be pulled over for 'showing them up'. What a crock. Tie up rush hour traffic by cruising at exactly the speed limit and stop anyone who passes you.

Now about that 10 MPH thing???
Old 09-21-2003, 02:04 AM
tersian
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad start this morning, red lights in rearview mirror (glen242)

The law in PA says that using VASCAR they cannot ticket you for 1-10 miles an hour over the limit under 55 mph. If you get ticketed for 1-10mph over the posted speed under 55mph, fight it and you will win. Now, for RADAR and over 55mph, there is no such protection. Also, if you are caught doing 11mph+ in an active work zone in PA, you are fined over $300 and lose your license for a few weeks.

Those are just a few of PA's great traffic laws.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:07 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Bad start this morning, red lights in rearview mirror (Spook)

Is it me or isnt CA the place where your supposed to try and outrun the police... OJ Style...

Spook
:reddevil

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2003, 04:52 AM
1Asterisk
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Bad start this morning, red lights in rearview mirror (Desertdawg)

I used to ride with a State Trooper friend of mine. He always got people for 10 over. Exactly ten or more. If you were 80 in a 70 he'd get you. 79 and you're a free man/woman. He told me that was the general rule of thumb, although he said recently they have been pulling over people for 79, just not him personally. I imagine that if he clocks you for 79 he could just write the ticket for 80. That 1 mph really isnt going to show up different on most peoples speedos. Especially one that hits 140.

I tend to set my cruise on 76 or 77, on the interstate and figure I'm pretty safe. After all depending on how far you are going that extra 5 or 10 mph means very little in actual time saved.

Quick Reply: Bad start this morning, red lights in rearview mirror