C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you put the hood on by yourself?

Old 10-03-2003, 01:17 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How do you put the hood on by yourself?

Seems I can do about everything on my own except that. I drive around without the hood off for while after I get the eng back in, it does make tuning easier :), but have to find someone to help when the time comes. Anyone figured out a way to do it themselves?

[Modified by Fevre, 12:20 PM 10/3/2003]
Old 10-03-2003, 01:25 PM
ENTRPRZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do you put the hood on by yourself? (Fevre)

Very Carefully :D

Perhaps if you used one of those hardtop hoists. Strap the hood to it and lower it into position and bolt it on. Obviously the best way would be to get another person.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:25 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

hit the weights and roids. :jester seriously, i remember reading about how a guy on here in thec3 section put his hood on by himself.

[Modified by Redshark6974, 12:26 PM 10/3/2003]
Old 10-03-2003, 01:57 PM
PatG
Burning Brakes

In my experience this is a two person job.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:00 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: How do you put the hood on by yourself? (PatG)

I did it myself. I stuffed a bunch of blankets in front of the rad. Set the nose of the hood on them and was able to get the hinge bolts in. It was easy.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:01 PM
Lee74C3
Intermediate

Default Re: How do you put the hood on by yourself? (PatG)

Definitely not a good idea! :nono:
Old 10-03-2003, 02:06 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

I've done it many times. It is not difficult. Get everything you need (tools etc) and find a pad to go down under the point of the hood. I use a heavy durometer foam rubber block about 8" x 8" x8". With the hood open, place blocking and the pad on top of the nose support under the point of the hood. Squeeze it in tight. Leave the hood support bracket in place. Remove one bolt from each hinge and loosen the other. Now you can keep the hood from tilting with your shoulder while you remove the last bolt from the passenger side. Let the hood rest on the block while you move to the drivers side. Remove that bolt and the bolts from the hood support. You are now ready to lift the hood off. Reinstall in reverse order.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:09 PM
bhmyers
Racer

I have done it several time myself, just have to be careful not to scratch the paint.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:26 PM
HDIronman
Pro

Chris, if you decide not to attempt to install it by yourself, call me and I will gladly come over and help you. Besides, I will probably need help when I put my hood back on the car, hopefully very soon...!!!
:cool:
Old 10-03-2003, 03:14 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

OK, MY shark is a '72, I have a 1x2 stick/wood 36" long.....use it to prop the hood up with at a convenient angle....
pack rags/towels down against the headlight canisters, and sneal a town between the hood the fenders....with the stick holding it open....
release all the bolts, catch first....two bottom bolts on each side, then top bolts one at a time....I find a 1/4 inch air ratchet with swivel is best for this job....
the hood will slip down and rest on the rags pack under the front edge...
being tall, I just grab either side and lift it off then, letting the stick fall over top of the engine, as that's there it's leaning anyway....

to put it back it's basically the reverse of this motion...but I sit the hood on from one side, and raise the stick to hold it...then top two bolts, then the catch, then the bottom two bolts, and this with heavy towels wedged between hood and fender to keep that hinge area aligned side/side anyway....leave catch off and outta/way....lower very slowly with just top two bolts snug, bottom one's in place but loose....see there the binding is, and correct...
I find marking the hinge plates helpful...but not necessarily gospel on reinstall for some weird reason....OH, if you worried about the stick landing and hurting something wrap a rag around it....i'ts lightweight....

GENE
Old 10-03-2003, 04:18 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Why do I picture *Tim the Toolman Taylor* in all of the creative ways of putting a hood on listed above? Even I haven't tried the *hood* thing on my own.

I say.... rent a hooker for an hour. It won't help with the hood, but it should take your mind off of it. :cheers:
Old 10-03-2003, 05:14 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How do you put the hood on by yourself? (bgrice)

I have a clothshanger in my basement I constructed out of gas pipe. This doubles as my one-man hood hanger when the need arises. It stands about 7 ft high and is wide enough to straddle the car. I bungie up the hood latches to it and undo the bolts. Voila!
Old 10-03-2003, 05:19 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How do you put the hood on by yourself? (Stewart's74)

I did it myself. I stuffed a bunch of blankets in front of the rad. Set the nose of the hood on them and was able to get the hinge bolts in. It was easy.
I've done this, too. It works if you're very careful. But the potential for a eff-up is pretty great.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:55 PM
Langadorf
Pro

Default Re: How do you put the hood on by yourself? (The Dude)

I've done it by myself a number of times ... and without the use of any sissy blankets, etc. :D It's just a matter of balance and holding an awkward position for a minute or two.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:53 PM
rob75383
Pro

While my car was up on ramps and jackstands in the driveway, minus the motor, I would remove and replace the hood by myself every day-but I was just lifting it off and laying it down, not bolting it each time. I was working on the engine compartment, and didn't want to expose the por-15 once I had finished for the day, so I had to cover her up one way or another.
Once I had the motor back, and installed, I did have a little help from my mom to stabilize the hood while I put in the bolts. Thanks Mom! Without her, I wouldn't have had properly bled brakes either!! Kinda make me wish I still lived at home... WHOA!! WHAT AM I SAYING!!!!
Old 10-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Enad
Racer

Default Re: How do you put the hood on by yourself? (HDIronman)

Chris, if you decide not to attempt to install it by yourself, call me and I will gladly come over and help you. Besides, I will probably need help when I put my hood back on the car, hopefully very soon...!!!
:cool:
I've done it twice. I balanced the hood on a large heavy box on the engine. Then leaned the front down on to the hinges. However if I was you I'd take HDironman up on the offer. :thumbs:

Dane
Old 10-03-2003, 09:58 PM
John D.
Burning Brakes

When I had mine off I used my two sons to hold it while I started the bolts.
Also needed them to aline it.
Seems like it would be really hard by yourself. Not that it cannot be done but easier and safier with help. :seeya :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To How do you put the hood on by yourself?

Old 10-03-2003, 10:04 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

You guys missed the obvious, the way I done it at least 10 times.
You can reach and remove/reinstall the hood hinge bolts from under the front end, it takes a little choreography but it's doable.
On the plus side, you can lay the hood on the car, adjust the fit before you install and tighten the bolts...one time and your done.....
Old 10-03-2003, 10:24 PM
cdc
Intermediate

I thought my technique was pretty easy. I used an engine hoist. Just removed a bolt from each hood latch and used a longer bolt/washer and light weight chain bolted from one latch to the other. Leave enough slack so that the arm of the hoist won't bump the hood. With the hood in the open position, just unbolt the hinges and lift the hood slowly with the hoist attached to the chain. Back the car away from the hood as it hangs in mid air- then you can let the hood down slowly.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:30 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Tie a rope between the hood pins at the rear of the hood. Hook it to a engine hoist at the center of the rope, jack up the hoist until the hood clears the fenders then swing it into engine compartment and let it down guiding it to the front hinges. Once you get it at the right angle put in the bolts/brace and remove rope.

Tyler

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you put the hood on by yourself?