C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT- workplace harassment... need help and advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 03:52 AM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OT- workplace harassment... need help and advice!!

This is a MUCH more tempered group than the folks in Off Topic, so that's why this is posted here...

I've got a situation brewing at my job of 1 year.
I work second shift, and there is a woman from first shift whom I cannot get along with.
I used to engage in minimal smalltalk for the first couple of months, but she always has this negative attitude, a penchant for rumors, and talks badly about others behind their backs.
It all came to a head a couple of months ago, when there was some very important and specific items occurring on my shift, that my co-worker was to deal with all night.
She started to tell me about it so that way she could leave 15 minutes early, but I told her that she should tell him directly, because if he has any questions, I wont be able to answer them. She then got ticked, and started to rag on my co-worker, calling him various names, and saying," I don't know why he's always late" (which he is NOT, she just wants to leave early every day!)
I said," He's still got 12 minutes to get here!"
She then proceeded to verbally attack this co-worker of mine, within earshot of everybody else.
I then shut her up by saying,"I don't want to hear it! Besides, you are paid to be here 'till 15 after the hour, just like the rest of us, which gives him another 25 minutes to be here."
She then stormed out of the room.
End of round one...

The next day was a Saturday, on which we run a skeleton crew.
I basically had to deal with her one-on-one.
I came in to an empty computer room, sat down, logged her off the terminal, and then logged myself in.
She came in a couple of minutes later, started grabbing her stuff, and said,"By the way, what you did is illegal, I can have you fired for logging me off!" (which is NOT true--I checked with security... but leaving your terminal unattended, and still logged on, IS against security policies- but still not an issue to be fired over)
After saying that, she turned around, and was playing with her purse. Surprized, I then stood up, and without saying a word, I took two steps towards her shrugging, with my arms at my sides. Basically I was making the 'what did I do??' posture.
She turns around and said ,"This is harassment, I'm going to H.R. about this"
I said," Whatever... have a good day."
She gets an inch from my face and yells "WHAT DID YOU SAY??"
I stared at her for a second, and then said, "goodbye", calmly, albeit through clenched teeth, and then turned around and sat down at my terminal.
She then proceeds to say that she's going to h.r. ,and is gonna get me fired... etc.
I just ignore her till she leaves. I called my 2nd shift manager at home, and wrote him an email detailing the incident.
Well, Monday came along, and I didn't get called into the office.
No action was taken on her or my behalf, and it seemed that nobody was informed (besides my shift manager) to what had occurred.
From that point, she and I would only exchange a bare minimum of words. I would come in, and her turnover would be,"nothing's going on" and she would leave. This continued for about 6 months, and to tell you the truth, it was a nice time to not have to listen to her berate everyone else.
I called in sick last week, and she told my co-worker during turnover, "Oh, by the way, PSYCHO won't be in today", which was what he told me the next day I came in.
I then told my 2nd shift manager about the psycho referance, and he made note of it. I didn't take this furthe, because I didn't want to drag my co-worker into any of this.
end of round two...

This past Saturday, I come in, start to logon, and she just walks out. Now, policy states, that turnover is to be verbal and written, and she was walking out without saying a word.
As she was about to leave through the computer room door, I said , " What about turnover?"
And she replies,"Nothing's going on", turns around, and starts muttering things about me like: a-hole, psycho, bastard, etc.
I was about to say something in response, followed her, and stopped short of the door she had just gone through. I held any rebuttals to myself, and then went back to my work area.
She must've saw me, 'cause she then came back through the keycard door, and started to rant saying that the 1st shift manager is aware of my actions toward her, and that I will not get anywhere in the company. Then she said things like psycho, mother f-r, and some other mutterings under her breath.
end of round three....

I emailed an account of what occurred, and spoke to my 2nd shift manager the next day. I stated in my email that this cannot continue at its current course, and that I might go to h.r. myself.
My boss and I had a good long talk about the path we were about to undertake, and he then forwarded my email of what occurred, plus about 200 words detailing his and other people's "run-ins" with this woman.
Basically, EVERYONE has been on the receiving end of her "I'm going to H.R." statement, but the problem isn't US, its HER!
I told my manager that on Saturdays, I will either bring the security guard, or another 1st shift person with me when its her turn to work the weekend.
I'm not after getting her canned, but I just got a townhouse, I have to fix my 'vette, my live-in girlfriend is unemployed, and so on, so I just can't afford to lose my job over some #$^%#$% and her threats.
My co-worker suggested I bring a recording device in, to basically protect myself, but I've heard that it is illegal to do so.
My boss has said that we will wait for some kind of action from the big boss, and if nothing occurs, or if her tirades continue, he will personally take this to h.r. on my behalf.
I used to think harassment was mostly man-to-man, or man-to-woman, but I recently learned otherwise.
My problem is, once she starts with her yapping, I get very, very, angry, and just shut up, to avoid putting my foot in my mouth-- (like she has alread done)
What I'm afraid of is that she'll manufacture a scenario, or say that I said something which I didn't.
What kind of advice do you folks have???
Is it really true that a recording device is illegal?? -- that's my LAST resort, anyway.
I plan of having a person with me at all times I will be interacting with her, to be a witness, for one, and as a preventative measure.
I'm just really wound up about this whole situation, and I tell you, IT REALLY SUCKS!!! :mad
Old 10-16-2003, 04:46 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: OT- workplace harassment... need help and advice!! ('75 383 ElkGrove)

Do not make any recordings, other then that it sounds like you are on the right course. Make sure to document every occurence and make sure to keep your supervisors aware of the situations. You really need to talk to your supervisors again and let them know that this is really bothering you and this kind of work environment should not have to be tolerated by you or anyone else there. DO NOT let this person get to you, that appears to be what she is trying to do, so that YOU end up getting into trouble. You must remain calm and professional at all times, don't let your pride or ego sway you from this course. Your job depends on it. Once again talk to your supervisors soon, let them know that you would like someone to talk to this lady soon or you will be forced to go to HR for your own protection and job security.
I have been working in the data processing field for over 20 years, mostly on the swing and grave shifts and have come across people like this.
One of the things that I did was to humor the person. I know it's hard because of the things that have been said, but you only really have to do it
for however long it takes to do turnover. Remember what the Godfather said:
'keep your friends close but your enemies closer'. HTH
Good Luck and keep us updated.
:thumbs: :seeya
Old 10-16-2003, 06:05 AM
rob75383
Pro

Default Re: OT- workplace harassment... need help and advice!! (DMONSVETTE)

DO NOT let this person get to you, that appears to be what she is trying to do, so that YOU end up getting into trouble. You must remain calm and professional at all times, don't let your pride or ego sway you from this course. Your job depends on it. Once again talk to your supervisors soon, let them know that you would like someone to talk to this lady soon or you will be forced to go to HR for your own protection and job security.
I have been working in the data processing field for over 20 years, mostly on the swing and grave shifts and have come across people like this.
One of the things that I did was to humor the person. I know it's hard because of the things that have been said, but you only really have to do it
for however long it takes to do turnover. Remember what the Godfather said:
'keep your friends close but your enemies closer'. HTH
Good Luck and keep us updated.
:thumbs: :seeya
From what the other 1st shift girl says, I appear to be this woman's kriptonite... I don't pay her any attention, I don't fawn over her outfits, I don't try to flirt with her, and I don't take her @#$^% like the others do. When I talk to some of her female co-workers, and ignore her, she tries to tell the others that its time to leave... like they were going somewhere or had an appointment. The other females (including a pro-boxer who fought Kristy Martin), have many issues with this woman and her apparent favored treatment by the 1st shift management. She lacks technical know-how, but seems to get by on bluster and threats, and short skirts.
She does have the capacity to get my blood pressure to rise --out of anger, that is, not stimulation. But I always shut down and do the silent treatment, rather than vent. I try not to stand up to her directly, because the situation would just escalate beyond my controll, and my anger would take over and I would wind up saying something that would cost me my job.

Earlier this week, I heard that the big boss had pulled her aside and spoken to her about the email he received from my boss... but my manager and I have not received any update from him as to what the situation is, or what has been done. The first shift manager is pretty much putty in her hands, and has been caught in a couple of questionable situations with her. I don't know if these events have been brought up to the big man, but I sure as hell don't want to be the one to label them as an "item", especially since they both are married.
My manager included in his email, an account of when he had received word from her about an outstanding issue that had been pending for about 1.5 hours. It was a simple VTAM display and activate command, but it was well beyond her scope of understanding (sorry, this probably sounds like GEEK to most forum members). My manager asked her who was working on it, who had called, and when was the last time she checkied it- she responded by saying ," I can't believe these questions!", and stormed out of the room, neglecting to give a complete turnover which caused some problems later on.
She also seems to be on a "special" shift where she can take numerous days off and not have to account for them on her timesheet, which is probably due to her being "close" with the 1st shift manager. I personally have not seen any instance of her and the manager showing any kind of fondness, but then again I've only been there a year. There are, however, about 7 people who have varying stories of instances of overly close contact between the two.
Again, this relationship between her and her manager is not my focus. I'm only worried about having a civil and efficient turnover of what I can expect for tonight's batch processing. No false accusations, no slander, and no confrontations.
I was "keeping my enemy close" as you said, but that included me tucking my tail between my legs, and had only lasted until I had been hired on full time.
I am afraid that I being the "new guy" have been chosen as the one to pull the sword from the stone and rid the land of her evil. But I don't want a crusade. I just want to work honestly, to gain experience, and to make a buck.

[Modified by '75 383 ElkGrove, 5:06 AM 10/16/2003]
Old 10-16-2003, 07:08 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: OT- workplace harassment... need help and advice!! ('75 383 ElkGrove)

plan of having a person with me at all times I will be interacting with her, to be a witness, for one, and as a preventative measure.
This is your best defense. You say you're not after her to get her canned? I bet she doesn't feel the same way......CYA. You may want to ask your boss or legal department on how you can get solid evidence (tape or Video) of her abuse towards you. Other than that, and not knowing "her side of the story" thats all I can come up with. Good luck.

[Modified by theandies, 9:57 AM 10/16/2003]
Old 10-16-2003, 07:13 AM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Hmmmmmmmmm ,,,,,,, now how do I spell PMS

Gman

I can feel your pain
Old 10-16-2003, 07:15 AM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK after getting more details I can tell you that I have worked with people like you have described. This may sound crazy but I would do a reverse play.
'The best defense against an enemy is to make them a friend'.
Pretend to like her and play her game, she just wants to try and get everyone on 'her team'. It's all about her power trip. And all the while
you are observing and collecting information regarding her shortfalls.
This information will be used at a later date against her. When?
Don't worry the time and situation will present it's self. Remember,
'every dog has his day'. I have seen this happen before.
V net,act,term= :reddevil
Old 10-16-2003, 07:22 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Funny how turn a bout is fair play....little story....I once quit a job, partly over another older man I was forced into working with....I really really got to him one day, and got in hot water with the boss untill I explained my position to the boss.....but the tension was still there.....so I eventually quit.....

well some years later that cantankerous guy came looking for a job at a shop I was cheif tech at.....my boss came to me and asked if I would consider working with that guy again, I just looked at Jim, and said he would be needing another bench man if you hire him.....sorry I would not put up with that old fart again under any circumstances.....so he was not hired.....

but a year or so later I was forced out on account of the very long commute and the gasoline crunch of '73 or so.....first go round....

ME, tape it, get a recording device....if the bosses object, they be stupid....
you have to know how to handle that sort of thing....

like an old friend of mine who's wife was cheating on him....so he tapps the house phone with a VOX tape machine...old reel to reel tape recorder voice activated....he uses the tape for leads on finding other information, and I bulk erase the tapes for him, keeping the blank reels.....end of story..the other evidence was collected and used in the divorce proceedings, and she never knew what hit her....dead onthe spot....

GENE
Old 10-16-2003, 07:22 AM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Yes you can record your conversation with her. BUT you have to tell her that you are recording it. Get that on tape also. This will do one of three things, 1. Get her to shut up. 2. Get her to incriminate herself or 3. Get her to ask you to turn it off, therefore, admitting she has something to hide. My suggestion is to do everything you can to get her fired. She is a burden to the company and it's employee's. I'm sure they can find somebody much better, but if you do try to get her fired, just make sure you document everything and have all your duckies in a row. CYA, always. Just my .02 :flag
Old 10-16-2003, 07:25 AM
jumpinjimburns
Advanced

WV is a single party notification state meaning that only one person in a conversation needs to be notified that the conversation is being recorded. Even though it is legal here most judges don't want to hear anything like that (not that you would be going before a judge). Check with your state to see if you would be breaking any laws by recording the conversation. If for no other reason but to play it back for your girlfriend when this crazy woman calls your house saying that she's pregnant with your child........ :eek:
Old 10-16-2003, 07:37 AM
noskillz
Racer

Good advice may be contacting a lawyer rather than a Corvett forum <shrug> :confused:
Old 10-16-2003, 08:24 AM
pik
Racer

I agree that the best thing to do is report ecerything in writing. Having a third party with you is good insurance but not a long term solution. As a lay person, its my understanding that including certain phrases in your report can have an important affect. Using terms that relate how you felt (threatened etc) are important in compelling management to act, if only to protect themselves. If you report how you feel about this behaviour, threatened, uncomfortable etc. it is much more damning if no action is taken to change the other persons behaviour. Management having a "talk" with the person is "meaningless, unless it is documeted.
Good luck & keep your cool
Old 10-16-2003, 08:25 AM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: OT- workplace harassment... need help and advice!! (noskillz)

What's wrong with laying the microcassette recorder on the table in full view of her and say, "Ok, now you were going to say what to me?" This will shut her yap up. She needs to know that you are not a door mat and she needs to understand that there are people who are going to stand up to her foul moods.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:33 AM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I would keep a recording device on me at all times. If you ever find yourself alone with her it could boil down to a "she said he said" but with a tape of the encounter you have proof of what really happened. Sounds like management has her number anyway so I would run this by your manager to get his take on it.
Just keep your cool, these things have a way of resolving themselves on their own.
BTW, you don't want to be the reason she gets fired....she could take this out of the workplace and into your personal life.
Good Luck!!
Old 10-16-2003, 08:36 AM
69Rat
Racer

Oh yea.. getting a lawyer involved will help.. NOT!!! :rolleyes:

I've been a Network Engineer for over 10 yrs, and have worked in various other professions.. In each one, I've found people like this.. especially women. They love to threaten with the race card, the harassment card, whatever... I learned in the Navy, the best defense is a good offense. If she starts blustering about going to "HR".. and calling you names. Call her on it! Warn her that name calling will not be tolerated, and if she wants to go to HR.. just smile and say "FINE, Let's go right now!" Always smile.. if you can't control yourself while angry.. learn to. Always smile.. mad or not... it makes people wonder what's up, and in my experience..scares the S@!t out of them. I've NEVER been fired, or even "talked to" by my boss's for action with co-workers.. but I've had more then a couple of people fired due to skirmishes with me. If she's on a power trip.. who cares.. it's not your problem, and you shouldn't have to "play along", to have a decent work place. Screw that crap.... The biggest thing.. don't break the rules defending yourself.. Just smile and see her for the pathetic simp she really is... make it a game... whatever works to keep your cool. If the situation is as you've stated.. then you would have MORE then enough co-worker support, and validation to backup that it's HER and NOT you!! Never shy away from battle....
:nono:

Bottom line..keep the lawyers out of it.. don't be a simp, or let her have any effect on you. btw... if there is hanky-panky going on between her and the 1st shift manager.. I'd talk about what you know with your manager...and see what his take is. I'd bet my paycheck it's nothing new to him. The office rumor mill is quite effective, and very hard to hide from!! When it comes to war.. everything goes!

Good luck!

:cheers:
Old 10-16-2003, 09:01 AM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Default Re: OT- workplace harassment... need help and advice!! (69Rat)

One other thing you might try doing is to laugh at her. Not inside yourself, but whenever she does/says something stupid. She will get pissed. Nothing illegal about laughing. :flag
Old 10-16-2003, 09:26 AM
Michael Tucker
Burning Brakes

Default Re: OT- workplace harassment... need help and advice!! (69Rat)

"My co-worker suggested I bring a recording device in, to basically protect myself, but I've heard that it is illegal to do so."

check your state's laws on this every state has their own laws.

we had a guy that the city had order to have his recorder in plain view if he was going to use it. this was after they paid him a nice sum of money.

good luck
Mike
Old 10-16-2003, 09:26 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: OT- workplace harassment... need help and advice!! (greatgonzoglenn)

Personally I'd go to Hr first chance I got. Just for a heads up you know. Keep them in the loop. Tell them about your problems and your suspisions about her and her boss. HR if they are any good will do some investigating....

Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To OT- workplace harassment... need help and advice!!

Old 10-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: OT- workplace harassment... need help and advice!! (427V8)

She and her supervisor are " playing dirty".
If you play the "nice guy", you will lose.

I've been through this a couple of times.
Once, (in NJ) my neighborhood unsupervised kids were harassing me because I kicked them off my property where they were repeatedly vandalizing my buildings.
Their grandparents (parents were out doing drugs) called police and accused me of "assault". Before I knew it, the entire "white-trash" neighborhood was attacking me.
Something right out of the movies. One of them came running onto my lawn one day to photograph my own kids just to get even for video-taping hers.

The police believed the kids as there were 10 of them & 1 of me. I predicted this and had set up a video camera and VCR. While I was filling out my statement after having been read my rights (yes, I was about to go to jail), I played the tape back for the arresting officer, clearly showing the kids trespassing which they swore they had not done. She told me to hold on to the tape... and went back to talk to the kids & grandparents. The charges were immediately dropped. One of the kids parents was also a "councilman" in local politics. The tape saved my butt big-time... regardless of whether or not it was "legal".

Since then, I always use technology to my advantage... I even bought one of those tiny digital recorders from radioshack... can't be detected... very effective.... fits in your shirt pocket.

Trashy people have a way of winning in these situations... they've had a lot of practice at it. They can't get along in life any other way. It's their way of counteracting their own incompetence.

CYA big-time. You are under attack by an expert.... guilty until proven innocent.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:58 AM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: OT- workplace harassment... need help and advice!! (Tom454)

They tell us to keep a log in the army with date and time of each incident what was said to whom and whatever. It will be a nice companion peice to a chain of Email letters. start sending a carbon copy of the emails to HR cant hurt. But keep the log and dont be afraid to agree to goto HR like the other person said.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

If I'm not mistaken, you are gauranteed a respectful workplace environment, by Federal Law. Do not hesitate to go to your HR department with what is going on, if you don't document what is going and verify that you are trying to find a solution and relief to the problem through them, then if she ever does go to HR, it could be your azz!
I don't know what the state laws are in your state, but I was under the impression that the only conversations that were subject to notification that they were being recorded were ones gathered via the telephone. If that wasn't the case, then how would all the news channels get away with there own under cover reports, with hidden cameras and tape recorders. It is true that these tapes probably could not be used in a criminal matter in court to prosecute someone, unless there was a warrant issued before hand, but this is a civil matter.
My suggestion is that you check thouroughly on your local laws and if it is not a law against it, then get yourself a small recorder and record every conversation that you have with this woman. Save the recordings with a date and time appended to them and put them on tape or disk. That way if she does go off the deep end and tries to hang you, you'll have something to cut the rope with.
By the way, if your employer does not do something about the harassment that this employee is putting you through, you do have legal recourse to sue them. Most companies will break their azzes to avoid going to court over something like this and will get rid of the offending employee.
One word of advice to the other shift supervisor who might be "envolved" with this woman, "Don't get you meat, where you get your bread!"

Quick Reply: OT- workplace harassment... need help and advice!!