C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on buying C3

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 03:41 PM
96KICKS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Advice on buying C3

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking about getting a C3, it would be for both my daughter and I to share. I don't have any experience with this generation, other than I just love the body style. ANY advice at all about things to look out for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :seeya
Old 11-02-2003, 03:48 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Advice on buying C3 (C4Girl1996)

Is there any particular years you like? I'd say maybe look at the '79-'81's as they have probably the most comfort and nice styling to them. Nothing against any of the other years of course.

[Modified by bgrice, 2:50 PM 11/2/2003]
Old 11-02-2003, 04:59 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Check out my website. I have a few do's and don'ts.

The first thing you did right, is come to this Forum. There's a ton of knowledge and helping hands.

Buy what you like and buy the best car you can afford. It's a lot cheaper that way.

Also, check out eBay. There are a ton of Vettes for sale there, every day. Even if you don't buy one there (I've bought three cars online at eBay, one was my C4, and have had good experiences with all), you'll get an idea of the price range, condition, etc. Plus, you'll be able to decide what you like best.

:cheers:
Old 11-02-2003, 05:08 PM
96KICKS
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Advice on buying C3 (bgrice)

Well, I can see, I'm gonna be doing a lot more research than I thought I would have to. After looking the different years, I think I have it narrowed down to 79 to 81. I want manual transmission, so from what I had just read about the 82 is out. Okay, so now that I have narrowed it down, I'll take any knowledge you can offer. I'm going to start searching locally and see what I can test drive.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:27 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I really like the 81's. I think the body style is tight. Plus, it's the same year my dad owned, and stirred my first Vette passions. Loved that freaking car.

When I was looking for the C4, I came across one I really liked at a dealer (mostly Corvette dealer in North Canton, OH). We've got the car running, an 87, and I have my checkbook with me. The guy says, you can drive it after you buy it.

:lolg:

I shook my head and left. Then found my car for $7000 less. :yesnod:

At any rate, good luck with it. Condition is everything. The frame is the first thing you need to look at. The kickup just before the rear wheels is notorious for rot. That's the biggest problem and the hardest to fix. Ask me how I know.

After that, these cars are pretty easy to fix. And they do need to be fixed, often.

Another concern of mine, is previous damage. Run your fingers up under the lip of each fender. It should have an even groove. If at any point the groove disappears and becomes lumpy, the car's been fixed with bondo. And it was done by someone who doesn't know Vettes. I wouldn't buy it.

I prefer cars that are stock. But if you think you want to modify it, find someone who already did a lot of the work, and can provide detailed receipts showing quality workmanship. You don't want to inherit Bubba's car. Again, ask me how I know.

Good luck with it. It sounds like it will be great for you and your girl.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:07 PM
BUGGSY1970
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Advice on buying C3 (joeveto)

Follow the advice already given regarding rust. We both live in the rust belt and I have seen many cars that have rusted frames. It is at best a costly repair and it can be terminal. Decide what you want the car for and ahat you want it to do.

Cars with replacement engines (NOM means not original motor) can be had cheaper than original engine cars and if it is a quality engine and replacement can be a great adittion.

Buy the best you can afford and avoid a project car. Project cars can be fun to work on but they can be expensive and spend a great deal of time in the garage up in the air. If you have to pay for all repairs you need deep pockets.

Remember a 80 corvette is 24 years old and in car years that can be very old look for continual repairs if driven daily.

Above all drive it and enjoy it. C3's are a lot of fun.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:43 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Hey Cindy!!
You have a daughter old enough to drive? :skep:

Ok...79-81 with a manual trans. Are you concerned with originality? Do you want somehing like Suzanne's car? Or do you want something that looks nice and functions properly and is reliable? and why not a '78?

I think there's a 79 for sale out this way. black, 4-speed. not a trailer queen, but not bad looking. I just stopped one day to see how much they wanted (12.5k :eek: )

Old 11-03-2003, 10:08 AM
96KICKS
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Advice on buying C3 (ddecart)

Hi Dave!
Yes, she's old enough, just turned 16. Am I a cool mom or am I just :crazy: ? :lol: She's going to need something to drive this spring and summer and loves Corvettes as much as I, so this is a good idea. Plus, she can only take 1 friend with her when she's out cruising. I don't like the idea of a car load of kids. I'm buying this car for us to have some fun in, and for her to get a good start of 'really' driving a car. She's a very smart, responsible girl, so I'm not worried about her going nuts in it.

Not concerned with originality, looking for exactly what you said, something that looks nice, functions properly and is reliable. Why not a 78? I'm open to any year, I was trying to get as new as possible and narrow down my search. The only real requirement she insists on is a decent sound system and CD player! Hey, I have to agree with her. Not looking for anything heavily modified. This generation has more than enough horse play for us to have fun with. Got some good tips on checking out the frame area, I had no idea that could be a problem.

I still have to check insurance rates. :eek: I'm hoping this is still do-able.

:seeya

Hey Cindy!!
You have a daughter old enough to drive? :skep:

Ok...79-81 with a manual trans. Are you concerned with originality? Do you want somehing like Suzanne's car? Or do you want something that looks nice and functions properly and is reliable? and why not a '78?

I think there's a 79 for sale out this way. black, 4-speed. not a trailer queen, but not bad looking. I just stopped one day to see how much they wanted (12.5k :eek: )
Old 11-03-2003, 10:12 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ

Cool. Lemme look closer at this one when I get a chance. I think the price is high, but it's also been sitting there for a while.

Cool mom or :crazy: ....hmmm.... do you REALLY want an answer? :jester:

The insurance should be interesting. Considering that it's a Corvette you'd think it'd be a lot of $$$, but then if you consider all of the newer cars that are faster, you'd think it shouldn't be so much.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:14 AM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Advice on buying C3 (joeveto)

Look around for a post by Corz about the 77 I just picked up (well will be this weekend :) ) The opportunity was something I couldn't pass up for the price. However you should be prepared to put some money into your future "toy" even though I feel I got an OUTSTANDING deal on the car it does need alot of little things. Luckily for me I have alot of friends that have shops and it will save me a BUNDLE because all the work that needs to be done I can do myself and have access to all the equipment and help I need.

As said above.
Buy the BEST car you can afford.

DON'T impulse buy, have a forum member here check out the car with you, Corz helped me IMMENSLY in this aspect as he was 30 mins away from my 77 where I am 2.5 hours away and he went over it with a fine toothed comb.

Don't expect to find the deal of the century right away. Take your time, the time you take waiting and looking can also help you as the longer you wait the more you can save for a better car.

Ask ALOT of questions.

:D :cheers:
Old 11-03-2003, 01:33 PM
HDFLH67
Racer

I like the '69 w/ factory sidepipes as a fun car and solid investment! Get power windows! But whatever you do, get a second opinion from a mechanic or knowledgeable friend!
Old 11-03-2003, 03:58 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Advice on buying C3 (HDFLH67)

Teenagers:
1) love to drive like there is no tomorrow = many miles
2) tend to over accelerate often = wear and tear on drive train
3) dont brake until the last minute = wear and tear on drive train & brakes.
4) load cars up with freinds = vette doesnt work for that

Buy the used Honda/Toyota something and be glad she's getting good MPG, cheap insurance, and you can throw it away when shes done with it.

If its only a fun toy, then do what you want. The mid-late C3s are less expensive than the chrome bumpers up front and are also going up in value.

Brent...

[Modified by MN-Brent, 3:02 PM 11/3/2003]
Old 11-03-2003, 04:04 PM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Re: Advice on buying C3 (MN-Brent)

Teenagers:
1) love to drive like there is no tomorrow = many miles
2) tend to over accelerate often = wear and tear on drive train
3) dont brake until the last minute = wear and tear on drive train & brakes.
4) load cars up with freinds = vette doesnt work for that

If your daughter wants a car that she can just get in and go, then dont buy a C3 for her IMHO. You'll be stuck working on it and she'll be asking to drive your new sedan to go out with her freinds. Buy her a used Honda/Toyota or something like that and be glad she is getting good MPG and cheap insurance and you can throw it away when shes done with it.

Brent...
:iagree: That is exactly what I was thinking! There is no way I would put a kid in a corvette. :)
Old 11-03-2003, 05:46 PM
73ragtop
Instructor

I'd love to see your face when you tell an insurance agent you want insurance for a 16 year old driver in a classic Corvette. Old Corvettes are the greatest cars in the world, but they are nowhere near as safe in a collision as a more modern car. I have two responsible kids, but I'd never let them drive my Corvette by themselves. As others have said, these are OLD cars; they require frequent mechanical care, and unless you learn to do it yourself, mechanics' faces light up when you take your Vette to them. Many repair jobs double or triple in price simply because of the vehicle's cachet. Investigate this idea very long and hard before you commit to a purchase.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:11 PM
96KICKS
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Advice on buying C3 (73ragtop)

Well, I appreciate the advice, although . . . this car is more for ME than her. It's going to be driven by us both. I have a minivan also, which is available to her, but those are NO fun. I really like C3's, so does my daughter, how many 16 year olds think vettes are cool?, most are into mustangs, camaros etc. Insurance . . . I'm checking into this, the car will not be in her name. Frequent mechanical issues. . . you bring up a good point. I'm really going to try to find something mechanically sound, because no, I don't wrench on my cars, although I do have a really good, honest and very cute mechanic! He works with me, has no problem with me bringing my own parts in etc. So, having the work done is not a problem, the frequency will be something to consider. Safety issue, thats something to consider too. Although, thats something that can be debated over and over. I know a kid who rolled a 4x4 suv, it amazes me how people think those are safe vehicles. Thanks for the input. Keep em coming guys/gals. :seeya

I'd love to see your face when you tell an insurance agent you want insurance for a 16 year old driver in a classic Corvette. Old Corvettes are the greatest cars in the world, but they are nowhere near as safe in a collision as a more modern car. I have two responsible kids, but I'd never let them drive my Corvette by themselves. As others have said, these are OLD cars; they require frequent mechanical care, and unless you learn to do it yourself, mechanics' faces light up when you take your Vette to them. Many repair jobs double or triple in price simply because of the vehicle's cachet. Investigate this idea very long and hard before you commit to a purchase.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:14 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ

Default Re: Advice on buying C3 (73ragtop)

As others have said, these are OLD cars; they require frequent mechanical care, and unless you learn to do it yourself, mechanics' faces light up when you take your Vette to them. Many repair jobs double or triple in price simply because of the vehicle's cachet. Investigate this idea very long and hard before you commit to a purchase.
I'll have to disagree with that one. I owned a '79 Bonneville as a daily driver, put very little into it and drove it about 100 miles per day. My vette, with it's share of problems, has been relatively trouble-free. I think I drove about 7,000 miles over 2 years spending no more than $100 on spark plugs and a rad hose.

A Vette might not be for every kid, but I think there are plenty of kids out there that could handle one just fine. I wholly expect my son to be in that group 8 years from now. If things go as planned, he'll 'have' a white '69 to drive.

Hey Cindy,
I stopped (in the rain!) and looked at the one I mentioned. It's an '80. Black on black, mirrored tops, funky non-original wheels, louvers on the back window, and on the tail lights, and on the side vents ( :confused: ) Looks to be in decent overall shape. I'd be more than happy to check it out sometime if you want. I can snap some pics when it clears up too.

If you want to call on it, the # is 517-546-6357
Old 11-03-2003, 07:27 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Go get yourself a book called "How to Restore & Modify Your Corvette 1968-82" by Richard Newton. Even if you not looking to modify your C3 Corvette, there is a great section in the beginning of the book on choosing the correct Corvette for you & evaluating your new purchase (before or after). There is a great check list that you can use also to help you evaluate the condition of any car you look at so you can review the good & the bad later with a sound mind, basically doesn't get you to buy an expensive paint job ;)

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on buying C3

Old 11-03-2003, 08:12 PM
Blues Mobile
Burning Brakes

get a 68-72

With a 16 year old learning to drive, you will be glad you have the chrome bumpers front and back when she drives the nose into the garage, or backs the rear into your other car.

Old 11-03-2003, 09:25 PM
96KICKS
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Hey Dave,
You stopped in the rain! Awwwwwwwwww :) Thank you. The year sounds good, I believe I read in an earlier post it was manual, thats good. Louvers? I'm not real into accessories, I wonder if they can be removed without showing any drill holes or clip marks etc. I had an 80 Camaro with Louvers, can't for the life of me remember how I installed them, looked good on the camaro, but I'm not too fond of them on a Vette. Not too thrilled with the black on black, but on the other hand, it may look real mean. Funky wheels huh? Ya know what, I'll call on it, see what the person says, and I'll let ya know. Thanks for the info. and taking your time to check. I really do appreciate it.

Hey Cindy,
I stopped (in the rain!) and looked at the one I mentioned. It's an '80. Black on black, mirrored tops, funky non-original wheels, louvers on the back window, and on the tail lights, and on the side vents ( :confused: ) Looks to be in decent overall shape. I'd be more than happy to check it out sometime if you want. I can snap some pics when it clears up too.

If you want to call on it, the # is 517-546-6357
Old 11-04-2003, 01:51 AM
standup
Drifting

My first car was a 1962 International Scout.....it had vacuum wipers just like a Vette...(they didn't work either)...the THING was a POS......the THING used to pop out of second gear hard enough to break my arm.....after that, the only way to get it in gear was to pull over, turn it off, wait five minutes, put it in gear, then go.....I still LOVE that car.....

My point is....don't listen to these practical buggers telling you a Vette is too old.......buy your daughter the Vette.....share it with her.......she'll love you forever for it..... :thumbs:

Quick Reply: Advice on buying C3