C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I retrofit an older rear diff to my '80

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 05:29 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Default Can I retrofit an older rear diff to my '80

Can I put a stronger rear diff like the older Vettes in my '80? Will I have to change much?
Old 11-03-2003, 06:53 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Can I retrofit an older rear diff to my '80 (AGVI)

Yes you can. The housing will bolt up to your aluminum wing. Your going to have to change your strut rods b/c they are angled different. You also have to change half shafts. The 63-79 half shafts are 13 7/8" long from center cap to center cap and the 80-82 half shafts are 13 1/2" from center cap to center cap. You will also need to buy spindle flanges(2) b/c yours are a different style. We have a Hi-Performance kit that we sell and when we get and 80-82 vette in we alway put the cast iron (63-79) rears in them.

Your probably looking at about $1500 - $2000. But it all depends on what you get. If you find a rear at a sway meet or something that will probably save you some $ as long as you can buy one for under $300. How much HP do you have? You may want to go w/stronger than stock half shafts also. I would say it all depends on how much HP you have and what you plan on doing w/the car.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:21 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Can I retrofit an older rear diff to my '80 (Van Steel)

I was under the impression '80 rear ends were quite good, now half shafts can snap but I thought the punkin itself was good ?

Get notified of new replies

To Can I retrofit an older rear diff to my '80

Quick Reply: Can I retrofit an older rear diff to my '80