C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No low beams on 72

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 11:26 PM
MN 72 454
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No low beams on 72

Lost all low beams. High beams work fine so I tried the High/low switch and that wasn't the problem. All other lights work fine, just no low beams. Am I overlooking something simple??? :banghead:
Old 01-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: No low beams on 72 (MN 72 454)

When you say you "tried the hi/lo switch", did you replace it? I had the same problem with my '68, and put in a new $7.00 switch and cured the problem instantly.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:47 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Default Re: No low beams on 72 (Grinchia)

:iagree:

I had the same problem with my Camaro. The switch "clicked" fine but apparently it didn't make the connection anymore. I found the issue by unplugging the connector to the switch and jumpering the appropriate wires. The lights came on so I replaced the switch.

As Grinchia said, perhaps a $7 switch is all you need.

Good Luck!

:seeya
Old 01-09-2004, 07:36 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't ask me to explain why it is this way but this is my experience. Lost my low beams, high beams were fine. Since both lights were out, I reasoned that it had to be the dimmer switch since both lights wouldn't have gone out at the same time, at least not likely they would. So I replaced the switch even without trouble shooting it. Didn't fix the problem. As luck would have it, I had to have the 'Vette safety inspected that weekend and the low beams were working fine a couple of days prior.

So now I went through the wiring and found that there was voltage at the driver side low beam so I replaced the light. Still didn't work. I tested the new light and it worked as advertised. So I had power and a known good light but neither low beam would light. How odd. I pulled the passenger side low beam. It was burned out too. I replaced that one and now both worked. So, electricals not being my strong point, I reasoned that the way the lights work is as a series loop where if one goes, neither will light -sort of like Christmas tree lights. My wiring is as it left the factory (no Bubba splices or non-factory wiring). I can't explain the logic of why it works that way in 1972 but I noticed some other things about the light system too. If an indicator bulb burns out and you hit the signal stalk, both dash directional indicator lights come on without flashing.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Grinchia
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With mine, high-beams worked fine, and when High-beams were on, low-beams were too, so clearly the bulbs were o.k., and a live circuit as reaching them...just nothing at all happening in the low-beam switch position, ergo clearly it had to be the switch.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:02 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

low-beams were too, so clearly the bulbs were o.k.
WRONG STATEMENT, The low beams have two filaments one for low and one for high, so working on high does not indicate that the low beam is not burned out.

For an easy test of your blubs, take them out and jumper a hot and groung lead to them and see if they work.

[Modified by 72GACRZR, 12:04 PM 1/9/2004]
Old 01-09-2004, 12:24 PM
1FUNVET
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK I am a chick and that may be why I answer this problem with the following solution:

Replace the Bulbs!!
:eek:
Now I know that it could be more than that, but y not try the simple things first!!! :D :steering: :auto:

Get notified of new replies

To No low beams on 72

Quick Reply: No low beams on 72