C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Drain, 1980

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 05:13 PM
peparker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain, 1980

If I park my vette for a few days the battery drains down and needs a jump start. Kinda like me on a cold Hawaiian day :rofl:
can anybody point me to what might be draining my battery. It only takes about 5 days were it won't start. There are no visable lights on, and only the clock is running. :confused:
Old 03-19-2004, 06:30 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Battery Drain, 1980 (peparker)

put in a dark garage and look for light first, if not possible you need to isolate
the circut the drain is on. OH have the Batt tested :thumbs:
Old 03-19-2004, 06:47 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a similar problem. 3-4 days of sitting. If I first drive the vette at night after it has sat for a few days, the battery gets very drained. Just charged it the other night after it nearly died at 2-3 stops before I realized the amp gauge needle was dropping way down if I sat at a light for too long. Got home and sure enough, when I hooked up the charger, the battery was drained. Checked fluid and put it on the charger for the night. Drove it today and no problems.

Check both your battery and alternator for fitness. Either can contribute to charging problems (alternator - if it doesn't suitably charge the battery prior to parking for a few days, battery - if it isn't taking/keeping a charge or drains easily). I've been through 3-4 alternators and almost as many batteries since purchase in '97. Unless you disconnect the battery, there WILL be a drain.

Old 03-19-2004, 08:19 PM
daves80
Racer

alarm or antenna - two high draw cuircuits that are hot with the key off - if either one doesnt work, it may be the problem - oh ya, i almost fergot that pesky dome light delay - dave
Old 03-19-2004, 08:21 PM
American Boy
Pro

Default Re: Battery Drain, 1980 (TedH)

Get yourself what we call a test light. Unplug the positive side of the battery and plug the wire of the test light to the positive wire of the car with the other part of the test light on the battery positive. If you have a drain, the light will glow. Don't forget to wait for the courtesy light to shut off. If the test light is on, take the fuses out one at a time to see from what circuit the drain come from.

Stephan
Old 03-19-2004, 08:32 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Re: Battery Drain, 1980 (comp)

Mine was the burg alarm. I pulled the fuse and haven't had a problem since.
Who needs an alarm with a Doberman and an 85 pound Lab?
Old 03-19-2004, 09:06 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Battery Drain, 1980 (The Money Pit)

had a problem like that. The wire harness that plugs into the alternator was plugged in upside down. Still charged, but drained when the engine wasnt running.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:09 PM
peparker
Advanced

Default Re: Battery Drain, 1980 (lostpatrolman)

I have removed the dome light delay timer. I am wairting for a shippment from Dr. Rebuild for a replacement timer. I am not sure if the wiring to the alternator is correct though. I had to fix a connector and when I plugged in the connector all was good. Then I noticed that my battery light was on and I switched the wires. The light went out and the car runs good. :grouphug:

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Drain, 1980

Quick Reply: Battery Drain, 1980