C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater core Leaked,Whats the best way to clean carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Chuck-75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater core Leaked,Whats the best way to clean carpet?

I installed heater hoses that havent been on the car for 5 Yrs, and the heater core has leaked fluid into the pass.side floor compartement. Ive sence then pluged the hoses and shop vac. the carpet, but whats the best way to clean the carpet?, I dont want to install the new carpet that I have until I get all of the interior components that I need to restore everything at the same time. I have a new heater core and wasent sure if it installed from the intior side or from the engine side? :seeya Thanks all
Old 03-20-2004, 09:48 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Heater core Leaked,Whats the best way to clean carpet? (Chuck-75)

Good post... I have the original carpet in my 69 and it is in great shape except for being a little soiled and a few oil/grease spots. I have tried some of the "super cleaners" but nothing seems to really work that well. Maybe someone has a good answer.

[Modified by bluevetteman, 9:49 AM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-20-2004, 10:11 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I have used this product (basically just naptha) to clean grease marks off seatbelts. It is colourless and works very well. Check for colour fastness first.

Old 03-20-2004, 10:21 AM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

When this happened to me, I pulled the passenger side seat, carpet, backing, etc. out of the car.

Next steps:
- Cleaned the carpet using whatever carpet cleaner we had from in the house (noting directions and testing on an inconspicuous spot first).
- Rinsed off backing/padding
- Let everything dry in the sun well
Old 03-21-2004, 10:55 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: Heater core Leaked,Whats the best way to clean carpet? (SharkAttack)

[QUOTE]When this happened to me, I pulled the passenger side seat, carpet, backing, etc. out of the car.

:iagree:

Pull the carpet. The problem is that the jute backing probably has coolent soaked in it also. Depending on how much is spilled it could have wicked thru the carpent and jute and is now in other areas of the under carpet. The smell will linger forever.

This could be a good excuse to get both driver and passenger side looking like new again..... :)

Get notified of new replies

To Heater core Leaked,Whats the best way to clean carpet?

Quick Reply: Heater core Leaked,Whats the best way to clean carpet?