C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I paint the body on or off the frame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 04:21 PM
0Rick@Moroso Performance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I paint the body on or off the frame?

I am a little worried about trying to reinstall the body with new paint. You know, flexing cracks, rubs, the doors hitting the rear quarters before we get it shimmed right.

I am also worried about getting over spray on everything if I did do it on the chassis. Obviously, I would tape and bag everything, but it always seems to get through somewhere!

Which way have you guys done it?

Thanks for your help!

Rick
Old 03-29-2004, 05:03 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Should I paint the body on or off the frame? (Rick Moroso)

if the body is in good shap i see no reason to take it off to paint it, it's not like your going for a factory resto..... I am getting ready to paint mine on the car.. now if i wanted to do a full resto i would take it off so i could get to the frame and everything easier to replace/resto. :shocked:
Old 03-29-2004, 05:08 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are in for a ton of work if you paint with the body on....you won't be able to mask the entire frame...count on overspary....what's the difference if you paint it and then put it on the frame vs. putting the body on and then paint it? Use the lift to lower the body on the frame....the new paint will be fine and no over spray to clean up.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:41 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Should I paint the body on or off the frame? (GDaina)

I just ran into this in the past week. This is what I decided to do

My body is off and I just replaced the windshield frame and door pillars. The doors do not line up perfectly anymore.... I don't know why so I have decided much to put it in primer until I can get it back on the frame later this summer. I can then fit the doors perfectly and get the seams correct and have NO chance of the seams getting screwed up when I mount it on the body and shim it correctly.

Just My opinion. I think if no major structural work has been done to he body, by all means paint it off of the body, it makes for a much easier cleanup.

IF you are worried about fitment issues after you get it on the body, like me, take the extra time to mask off everything you can and then spray it. You'll only have minor overspray issues.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:51 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm doing the sanding and body work with the body on a dolly. The frame and motor are restored and sitting to the side of the garage. I've done paint jobs before with the body on and have always been disappointed in getting the frame and engine compartment messed up with the painting process. It's not just the overspray. If you color sand the wet sanding goo runs everywhere, regardless of how careful you are. It all depends on what result you want. I take the doors off and built door braces out of 3/4 inch conduit, so you don't have to worry about door chips during body install flexing, so you still have the support, especially with a roadster. Just my .02 cents worth.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:51 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Every restoration shop I have been to paints the body off the car. The car is stripped, the body removed for frame inspection & repair if any. Then the body goes back on for body work, panel replacements, alignment of the body to the frame, etc. Then the body comes back off for the final body work & paint. While the body is being prepped & painted the chassis gets painted & re-assembled, engine & tranny installed.

Then after as much as possible is on the chassis the body is re-installed. Most of the shops use a four post lift and place the arms under the body at the corners of the birdcage.

Simple :D :lolg:

Jim
Old 03-29-2004, 06:57 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Should I paint the body on or off the frame? (70BBvert)

Off, off, off... or messy messy messy....

That @#$% gets into everything. IF the bodywork (blocking/sanding) is done on the car. Expect a big mess and cleaning it up for a long time to come. Also, overspray no matter what you do.

Ask me how I know!

Old 03-29-2004, 07:00 PM
red79c3
Racer

If you paint the body on the Vette then make sure that you back tape and cover EVERYTHING. Or else!!!!!!!

Good luck! :jester
Old 03-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Paint it with the body on. The expense of taking the body off along with the possibility of "mistakes" putting it back on does not make sense to me. That will double the price. As to overspray, a $5.00 bottle of John Deere Blitz Black and some masking tape will take care of that in short order.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:50 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE]Every restoration shop I have been to paints the body off the car. The car is stripped, the body removed for frame inspection & repair if any. Then the body goes back on for body work, panel replacements, alignment of the body to the frame, etc. Then the body comes back off for the final body work & paint. While the body is being prepped & painted the chassis gets painted & re-assembled, engine & tranny installed.

this is exactly how I did mine and it certainly makes a nice job, but it really depends on how particular you are. If you don't need the frame to be show quality it is a little less stressfull to paint it on the frame. Craig
Old 03-29-2004, 10:13 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Should I paint the body on or off the frame? (paul67)

Paint it with the body on. The expense of taking the body off along with the possibility of "mistakes" putting it back on does not make sense to me. That will double the price. As to overspray, a $5.00 bottle of John Deere Blitz Black and some masking tape will take care of that in short order.
Paul, the body is already off the frame, so it makes no sense putting the body on, spraying, then masking the body to touch up the frame....
Old 03-29-2004, 11:06 PM
0Rick@Moroso Performance
Former Vendor

I guess I should have mentioned that I already have the body off. I am going to powder coat the frame and suspension.

I am just afraid of hurting the body putting it back on. I will most definitely take the doors off and bolt in some supports for the reinstall either way.

Thanks for all the tips!

Rick
Old 03-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Rick, you can cover the frame and suspension with thin plastic sheeting and then re-drop the body. The sheeting can be torn away after all the spraying has been completed. You must be working on the C3 race car, good luck!
Old 03-29-2004, 11:59 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I am just afraid of hurting the body putting it back on.
How would you hurt it?

I will most definitely take the doors off and bolt in some supports for the reinstall either way.
I wouldn't do that...the doors will give the body rigid support and prevent the body from flexing. If you do take the doors off to paint the car, install the doors, then use the lift to drop the body on the frame.

One problem with plastic sheeting...overspray will accumulate, and then peel off in small pieces, fly all over the place, and who knows where it will land...use newspaper if you're going to put the body on and then paint.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:04 AM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the same spot. I've decided that getting the doors aligned, headlights installed, and hood properly aligned after painting is not for me. So I put my body back on. I figure that masking everything off is easier than fixing the inevitable paint scratches and chips that I'd get from reattaching doors, and headlights, and hood.

I'd rather clean off overspray than doing spot repainting.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Should I paint the body on or off the frame? (Solid LT1)

Rick, you can cover the frame and suspension with thin plastic sheeting and then re-drop the body. The sheeting can be torn away after all the spraying has been completed. You must be working on the C3 race car, good luck!
Now that is a damn good idea.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:52 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Should I paint the body on or off the frame? (sray454)

I'm in the same spot. I've decided that getting the doors aligned, headlights installed, and hood properly aligned after painting is not for me. So I put my body back on. I figure that masking everything off is easier than fixing the inevitable paint scratches and chips that I'd get from reattaching doors, and headlights, and hood.

I'd rather clean off overspray than doing spot repainting.
Paint the door jambs, the inside of the doors, bottom of hood, basically all the removeable parts. Then put them back on & paint the entire car together, especially the doors. If the doors are painted horizontally the paint will lay differently & there is a good chance it will appear to be a different shade.

While it is more work it will result in a better job.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I paint the body on or off the frame?

Old 03-30-2004, 05:16 PM
James
Burning Brakes

I really think that if it can be done the best results you are going to get is to paint the body while its off the frame. The only thing that concerns me is how very very carefull you are going to have to be when the body gets laid back onto the frame after painting. I just get these bad visions of putting just a little to much stress in one spot or the other when you you go to do it and putting some stress cracks in your nice new paint job. Just like some one mentioned above I have seen people cover the entire frame with some plastic sheeting and lower the body onto the frame to protect it from overspay and then peal it away once all painted. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:18 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Should I paint the body on or off the frame? (James)

Its been a long time for me - but I say paint with the body on.

If the body is off now - ok - but the downside to body off is supporting the fiberglass, esepcially the heavy front end (especially with headlamps in). The doors can be taken off with a body on re-paint and there is no flex to the cowl area. But with an off body you should make steel supports for the door openings.

If you do a good tape job, which is very attainable, the body on is much less risk/work.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:26 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Should I paint the body on or off the frame? (GDaina)

Thanks George. I missed something in the original post. My bad!

Quick Reply: Should I paint the body on or off the frame?