C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why didn't I mark that?!?!?!? :banghead:

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Why didn't I mark that?!?!?!? :banghead:

I have been troubleshooting the wiring for the center guages. Last night I realized there was a large lump of electrical tape about 4 inches from the wire harness. I unwrapped it to find that at some point in time, someone cut the harness clean out, then reattached it. But they didn't bother to use connectors of solder or anthing like that. No, they stripped the insulation off, twisted the two wires together and taped them.

I do have the appropriate connectors so I decide to cut the harness out. I strip back all the wires and attach a connector to each one. Then I proceed to connect the harness back into the car's wiring.

Here is where the problem arose. :banghead: There are two black wires in the harness. :banghead: One is the common ground, :banghead: the other is part of the two wire system the controls the fuel guage. Does anyone know of a simple way to determine which wire is which. :banghead: :banghead:
Old 04-12-2004, 12:45 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Why didn't I mark that?!?!?!? :banghead: (Ak. Mal)

Can you attach an long piece of wire to the other ends use an ohm setting on a meter to test which goes where. Like with the battery disconnected, can you bridge on the black 1 at the back of the fuel gauge and with the meter between it, test for continuity in the black wires going to the gauges, then go to the fuel tank and bridge that black wire and check again.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why didn't I mark that?!?!?!? :banghead: (72GACRZR)

what year is your car , I have my dash out , new harness in and my old harness in a bag
Old 04-12-2004, 04:54 PM
73sbvert
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Why didn't I mark that?!?!?!? :banghead: (Ak. Mal)

Here is where the problem arose. :banghead: There are two black wires in the harness. :banghead: One is the common ground, :banghead: the other is part of the two wire system the controls the fuel guage. Does anyone know of a simple way to determine which wire is which. :banghead: :banghead:
With a VOM, do a continuity check between the KNOWN common ground and each wire. The one that is common ground will have almost no resistance, whereas the other will.

hth

Get notified of new replies

To Why didn't I mark that?!?!?!? :banghead:

Quick Reply: Why didn't I mark that?!?!?!? :banghead: