C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Engine block Pad Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Streamline
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1972 Engine block Pad Numbers

I am trying to find out what is the correct letter and numbering size (font, etc) to stamp the front pad on my engine block for a 1972 Corvette small block base engine. I realize it requires two sets of numbers, the smaller VIN numbers and the larger alpha characters for engine type, build date, and transmission. Does anyone sell a kit or rent them to do this? Any help would be really appreciated. I can be reached at cross065@hotmail.com.
Thanks - JD
Old 05-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: 1972 Engine block Pad Numbers (Streamline)

Just wondering, why do you want to restamp the block?
Old 05-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Streamline
Racer

Default Re: 1972 Engine block Pad Numbers (Tom73)

Someone has decked the block. Block is an 010 block, but no pad numbers.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Sorry but cannot answer your question, have no idea about the fonts or print size. Maybe some NCRS expert can chime in here.

I was just wonder why you wanted to restamp the block? For NCRS points, for personal pride, for resale value, or ???. If you car is a driver then there is no need for a restamp. But for a top value show car it could make a difference. So was just wondering.

tom...
Old 05-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Someone has decked the block. Block is an 010 block, but no pad numbers.
If the block has been decked, then you have lost your broach marks. Adding a stamp on top of that will be an obvious attempt at 'faking' it that will stand out like a sore thumb. You will do more harm than good by restamping it. Leave it alone.

BTW, How do you know this is the original engine anyway? If it was the previous owner that rebuilt it how do you know he didn't replace the original with this one? 010 blocks are pretty common.

:cheers:
Old 05-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Streamline
Racer

Default Re: 1972 Engine block Pad Numbers (Mike Ward)

Mike thanks for your comments.
Now back to the original question I had:

I am trying to find out what is the correct letter and numbering size (font, etc) to stamp the front pad on my engine block for a 1972 Corvette small block base engine. I realize it requires two sets of numbers, the smaller VIN numbers and the larger alpha characters for engine type, build date, and transmission. Does anyone sell a kit or rent them to do this?

Old 05-11-2004, 11:08 AM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Not trying to hijack this post but
Tom Mike

There was a post not too long ago about a custom bike with a smallblock confiscated by police because the stamped ID on the block was gone. So after the block is decked whats is one supposed to do??? :confused:

Steve :steering:
Old 05-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: 1972 Engine block Pad Numbers (stpman)

Not trying to hijack this post but
Tom Mike

There was a post not too long ago about a custom bike with a smallblock confiscated by police because the stamped ID on the block was gone. So after the block is decked whats is one supposed to do??? :confused:

Steve :steering:
Show me a law that says that it's illegal to deck a block, or that it's mandatory to restamp the numbers if you do. If this was the case, every 2 bit shop would have a set of stamps, which would render the whole process futile from a law enforcement point of view. Also means the original poster wouldn't have to ask the question. I was just trying to give him some advice to not do something counter productive which will cause problems in the future.

I don't believe the story about the pad on the bike anyway, sounds like another internet urban legend. I'm sure the bike was impounded for some other reason, far more legitimate.

:beatdeadhorse:

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 Engine block Pad Numbers

Quick Reply: 1972 Engine block Pad Numbers