C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i buy 76&77

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 03:41 PM
BoostedLT5
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i buy 76&77

Ok i am new to the forums but have loved corvettes since i was about 4. i am now 21 and have the chance to get a 76 matching #'s and 77 parts car for $3000. I have talked to the seller the 76 needs to have the engine rebuilt, but is in good shape other then that. The 77 has front end damage and twisted frame, however all other parts of the car are in good shape. Is this a worthwile investment? I am just looking for outside opinions here. My father and i will most likely be undertaking the restoration ourselves, and i think something like this would be a fun thing for us to do.
Sorry for the long post, but i am very excited about the possibility of finally getting my dream car.
:D
Old 05-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Default Re: Should i buy 76&77 (BoostedLT5)

The words "investment" and "corvette" should never be used in the same sentence!!! :lol: :lol:

Those years are nice rides, and they're the most reasonably priced. So don't expect to turn it for a big profit or anything. It sounds like you can merge together a nice running car in that deal though!

Would you stop there -or- are you the type who can't be happy without a perfect car? It costs about the same to restore so you may consider an older model. I've always liked the styling of those years though... good luck!
Old 05-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

$3,000 sounds ok to me. Before you plop 3 grand down I would check the 76 out the best I could. Rust might be a BIG problem. There's a thread going on now about windshield frame rust. If you could put the car up on a lift it would give you a better overall idea of its condition. If there's a "corvette" man in your area let him look at it. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2004, 06:34 PM
BoostedLT5
2nd Gear

Default Re: Should i buy 76&77

hey guys thanks for the replys. I am most interested in getting a nice running car. The only thing that will be absolutely perfect will be the engine. Most of the money will be dropped into making that. HAHA. very funny about corvette and investment too. I am not looking to turn this for any type of profit, this will be more of a investment of love for corvettes. I am obsessed with them and even though my dad wont admit it to me, he loves them too. So this is just something that both of us are looking to get into.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:41 PM
HDFLH67
Racer

Consider paint too! If you need a paint job, you're looking at several thousand dollars just for a driver repaint! It can be a lot more than you anticipate!
Old 05-16-2004, 11:59 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

I'd buy a part's '77 for 3k, and you get two for that much. Go for it.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:47 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Should i buy 76&77 (Schmucker)

If you have the time to work on it, you can't go too wrong buying both for 3K. As others said, check for rust. good luck! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Should i buy 76&77

Quick Reply: Should i buy 76&77