C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silly Question....how do you place a car on stands?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 12:15 AM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Silly Question....how do you place a car on stands? (Cor6996vette)

Put all four tires under the car
This is good advice that my dad gave me once as well.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:10 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Silly Question....how do you place a car on stands? (vetteguy75)

I jack up under the front crossmember and rear spring plate with a wood block to soften the load. I prefer this to twisting the frame when done at the side frame rails.

I then place 2 jackstands on each frame rail as per factory locations, and if the car is going to up for a long time, I also put a 5th jackstand under the front crossmember shimmed with some plywood, just because a BB is somewhat cantilevered if left unsupported.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:51 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Silly Question....how do you place a car on stands? (COMMANDER370)

When I do some quick and easy work, I just jack up one side and put stands under it, then go do the other side.
If the car is going to be up for some time (1 week - 1 year) I use some large ramps that lift the car up by at least 12"s and supports the car at the wheels instead of the frame.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:02 AM
73ragtop
Instructor

Default Re: Silly Question....how do you place a car on stands? (vetteguy75)

I put the car in the middle of a 2 car garage, and my son and I simultaneously use a floor jack on both sides of the car at once. When it's high enough, we slide a jack stand right in front (or back) of the jack, as the case may be, and slowly lower the car on to the jack stand. If we're raising the front of the car, we chock the rear wheels; if we're raising the back, we chock the front wheels. Even if I'm working on only one side of the car, I raise both sides to avoid the torsion or twisting force on the frame. If possible, I leave the floor jack that's on the side I'm working on in place just barely touching the frame in the event of a jack stand failure (though I've never had one).
Old 07-09-2004, 04:21 PM
darrentpi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I jack car up from front cross member, and as well as rear spring just bellow rearend, where leaf attachment is, works great every time. I use a hockey puck on my floor jack, to protect frame.
DM
Old 07-09-2004, 04:59 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Skipple
... and maybe a good follow-on to this question would be how long is everyone comfortable leaving it on the stands? I get some visible sag at the door frames after a day or so. Not sure if there is any long-term issues here.
I don't know if there is any problem but when I had my '73 convertible up on jack-stands for an extended period, I added two additional jack-stands. One under the front crossmember and one under the differental. Just wanted to be on the safe side

tom...
Old 07-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Nick-75Roadster
Advanced

Originally Posted by wugak
I've had good luck so far rolling her up on ramps to do work on one end only. I couldn't find steel ramps that were wide enough so I bought some platic ones at autozone for $35 a pair I think. They are very wide with no lips on the outsides. They look and seem very sturdy with lots of ribs underneath. They have a non-skid rubber pad on the bottom so they don't squirt out and a big lip on the end so you don't roll off the other end.

Just roll back 2 feet, wedge them in and drive on up, usually feathering the e-brake for control.

Of course I place 2-4 jack stands under the car anyway so if the ramps imploded the stands are there for backup. I left it up there for 3 days a few weeks ago. I had the jack stands sitting about 1/8" below a cross member and when I got back the ramps hadn't sagged one bit. So far so good, knock on wood.....

I do the same thing! I've had the car up on the ramps for a couple of weeks at a time but never had the rear on jack stands for more than a couple of days.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:16 PM
checklst
Racer

I agree about the stands, Although I still have to use jack stands for some suspension work I love the wood ramps this site had plans for (sorry I forgot the original poster) I could not ever go back to stands or plain ramps for ant type of undercarrage work.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:30 PM
lowvette
Burning Brakes

Default Where do you store this?

Originally Posted by checklst
I agree about the stands, Although I still have to use jack stands for some suspension work I love the wood ramps this site had plans for (sorry I forgot the original poster) I could not ever go back to stands or plain ramps for ant type of undercarrage work.
This looks cool, but where do store the ramps when you're not working on the Vette?
Old 07-09-2004, 08:34 PM
lowvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Turbo-Jet
I jack up under the front crossmember and rear spring plate with a wood block to soften the load. I prefer this to twisting the frame when done at the side frame rails.

I then place 2 jackstands on each frame rail as per factory locations, and if the car is going to up for a long time, I also put a 5th jackstand under the front crossmember shimmed with some plywood, just because a BB is somewhat cantilevered if left unsupported.
I used to lift under the front crossmember with a wood block, as you've described. It is faster because you only lift from one point before placing the jackstands. However, I found that it does eventually cause the crossmember to deform and I've since stop using the crossmember in this manner.

Quick Reply: Silly Question....how do you place a car on stands?