C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Separated frame on glass T-top

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:19 PM
yellovette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Separated frame on glass T-top

Ok folks, I know someone out there has had the same problem with their T-tops that I'm experiencing, so I need to hear from you! One of my mirrored glass tops had the frame separate from the glass. I subsequently removed the frame completely. I see that it was obviously glued to the glass with a black rubber like compound. My top is in very good condition, and I DO NOT want to send it out for restoration. All I would like to be able to do is re-glue it myself.

I searched the archived postings in this forum, and did locate several others that had posted similar questions, however no one was able to say with certainty, what mystery product was used to bond the glass to the metal.

One suggested using a 3M product called 5200, while someone else suggested using weatherstrip adhesive.

Are there any other suggestions????????
Old 07-08-2004, 01:53 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

the same thing happened to mine about 5 years ago. i used the glass adheasive commonly found in the parts houses and it seemed to work for a couple years but separated again a couple years ago. now, i didn't completely separate my glass from the frames so that probably affected how well the adheasive sealed. with yours already completely removed, you could probably do it yourself but at what cost? i hate the thought of one of my glass tops separating from the frame at *ahem* 60mph.
since you already have everything disassembled and cleaned, you may want to just talk to a couple of auto glass or body shops in your area and see what they can do for you.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:34 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would think that the glass tops are glued with the same adhesive used for the windshield. I'm sure a glass shop should be able to prep the glass properly and reglue it using urethane adhesive. I'd call a few shops and check it out.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:36 PM
1yy07
Racer

Default glass t top

I sent mine to Night Watchman Co. time and $ WELL SPENT talk to Michael Parisi 1-800-322-8867.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:16 PM
yellovette
Instructor

OK guys. The information regarding T-top adhesive is shrouded in secrecy. I telephoned Melrose today, and they refused to tell me what product I should buy, never mind sell me the stuff! I guess they were worried about losing a $100 sale!

Anyway, here's the definitive answer. If this information winds up being of help, drop me a line and let me know, (erampone@shaw.ca).

The product/s required are made by 3M (who else?). There are three items which are required to effect a professional bond.

1) Glass Primer - P/N 08691 $3.12
2) Metal Primer - P/N 08692 $3.12
3) Adhesive - P/N 08609 $13.90

The above items are available from any NAPA dealer at those prices, and all except the adhesive can be ordered online from www.napaonline.com

The glass and metal frame must be cleaned thoroughly. I intend to finish cleaning with rubbing alcohol.

The primers, each come in a 6ml quantity and are applied to the glass and metal frame respectively. These apparently are a necessity to ensure adhesion as good as original. I will be clamping the glass and frame together till the adhesive sets.

There you go for whoever's interested.

Get notified of new replies

To Separated frame on glass T-top

Quick Reply: Separated frame on glass T-top