C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs help please! Calipers rebuild or buy, cheap part dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 12:28 AM
hdhamou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newbie needs help please! Calipers rebuild or buy, cheap part dealers?

Hello, I am in the process now of rebuilding my baby. Its a 1974 conv. First thing first. The Delco calipers are shot. Tried to bleed them and fluid just drips out of the seals. I have read up about rebuilding them, but would like to know from others how hard it is and if there are any special tools needed? Do they usually have bad scoring if they are the originals? These are the original calipers and also am wondering if they are a pain to take apart because of age and rust sealage? If I dont rebuild them I was looking into buying a set. Are the stainless steel knock offs ok compared to the AC Delco's? Does anyone know who gives affordable prices on all parts? I need a crap load and many of the parts I need such as the bumper covers and interior panels are not cheap. Also, if anyone knows anyone in MD VA who is good with Fiberglass please let me know. Thanks so much for all the help, and sorry for all the questions. I could go on and on. G-day
Old 07-12-2004, 12:37 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Welcome to the insanity!

If it were me, I'd just replace the calipers w/new ones. It goes w/o saying, but brakes are kinda important and I wouldn't be taking any chances with 30 year old rusty pieces.

I've heard you can get pretty inexpensive replacements at Autozone. However these are probably the original lip seal design and most people seem to prefer o-ring pistons. It will cost you a bit more, but perhaps you can contact Vette Brakes (a forum supporting vendor, find their link somewhere on the list in the left hand column of the screen) and see what a set of their stainless steel sleeved, o-ring piston calipers will run you. They will be more than Autozone rebuilds, but this way you do it once, get it over with and hopefully never have to bother with them again.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 07-12-2004, 01:38 AM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree to what was previously said I would contact VB about there brake package. Cheap and the word Stop does not mix. But now a good deal does if what you get for your money gives you a quality product in return. .
Old 07-12-2004, 07:12 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Scoring on the older original calipers is normally not the problem. Pitting from moisture is what kills them. When the calipers are rebuilt the machine shop overbores and installs stainless steel inserts. Be sure to check your rotor run-out as well, excessive run-out will also kill the calipers. Beware of cheap Chinese replacement rotors.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie needs help please! Calipers rebuild or buy, cheap part dealers?

Quick Reply: Newbie needs help please! Calipers rebuild or buy, cheap part dealers?