C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My timing light doesn't work with MSD

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 06:06 PM
thebruce
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My timing light doesn't work with MSD

After driving myself nuts yesterday trying to find out why the timing mark was bouncing around like crazy, I found out that dial-back timing lights don't work with MSD boxes. I was surprised that the problem showed up not only at idle but also at high RPMs, since I always thought that multiple spark only happened at idle.

Aside from buying a new timing light, anyone know of a way to get around this? I've got the MSD distributor too, which doesn't work without the box, so I can't lust disconnect the box while I set the timing.

Thanks,
the Bruce :flag
Old 07-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thebruce
After driving myself nuts yesterday trying to find out why the timing mark was bouncing around like crazy, I found out that dial-back timing lights don't work with MSD boxes. I was surprised that the problem showed up not only at idle but also at high RPMs, since I always thought that multiple spark only happened at idle.

Aside from buying a new timing light, anyone know of a way to get around this? I've got the MSD distributor too, which doesn't work without the box, so I can't lust disconnect the box while I set the timing.

Thanks,
the Bruce :flag
You're SOl, it's buy an MSD timing light time
Old 07-20-2004, 06:15 PM
thebruce
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was afraid of that. I'm sure they're a great deal....
Old 07-20-2004, 06:18 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

87 bucks from summit, about a hundred more for the self powered one
Old 07-20-2004, 07:27 PM
75 Hot One
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam Memolo on Two Guys garage mentioned on the weekend show that a dial-back timing light doesn't work with the electronic ignition package they were working on (I can't remember what make it was). However, I didn't know that and my Sun timing light (dial-back) does work with my MSD 6A system. I conclude that it depends what type of electronic ignition you have.

Get notified of new replies

To My timing light doesn't work with MSD

Quick Reply: My timing light doesn't work with MSD