C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barrett Jackson a Real Scam

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 10:38 PM
Rolm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barrett Jackson a Real Scam

I had the feeling that Barrette Jackson Auction was a Scam with those phony pump and dump prices for some of those silly over priced cars. Barrette Jackson kind of screwed themselves by airing that silly contest they are running on speed vision. Have you noticed that most of the teams are loosing money on most of the cars they bought and auction off? The looses would have been much greater if the teams had to pay commission and all the associated taxes. Once again it has been proven it is almost impossible to make money on a so-called classic cars. Buyers be aware of the Auction pump and dump whether it’s at Barrett Jackson or any other auction.

Last edited by Rolm; 07-22-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:41 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, but what is pump and dump?

Terry
Old 07-21-2004, 11:11 PM
griffths
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trw
Sorry, but what is pump and dump?

Terry
Make it sound like too good of a deal to pass up (pump it up) so they can unload (dump) it on you.

Jay
Old 07-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by griffths
Make it sound like too good of a deal to pass up (pump it up) so they can unload (dump) it on you.

Jay
Interesting, never heard that phrase before!
Old 07-22-2004, 12:59 AM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was also very interested in how they were going to make money when most of the cars they bought were from dealers
Old 07-22-2004, 01:10 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Money can be made in classic cars without question, I think they just try to make it look easy. The cars that bring the "Big" money are rare cars w/ full documentation or has an extensive race history.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:13 AM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We can go into all the issues with BJ, but the major issue was that their Palm Beach Auction simply didn't bring the high-dollar, price insensitive buyers they had hoped for. Scottsdale has become a social scene...with people outbidding eachother to establish themselves as "big spenders" with big incomes.

It's actually very easy to make money on collector cars, but not by buying from dealers. Also, they should know better than to buy small market cars (Rebel Machine, El Camino, a drag racer) and cars that are known dogs among marque collectors (308GT4 is considered the least desirable Ferrari ever made!)

They need to stop buying cars they like, and start buying cars that sell well.

The BJ show is definitely a joke. They specifically try to make cars seem worth much more than they really are.

And as far as rare and documented cars the only ones making money...at BJ Scottsdale this last year, an "original" '69 Z-28 sold for six figures. Curiously, the same car was sold at BJ the previous year for $40K without rear disk brakes and the hi-po manifold that appeared on the car this year. Crazy.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:58 AM
Stinger66
Instructor

The "Pump and Dump" you see on the show is no different than what can be found at any new or used car lot.
Granted B & J is using this as a vehicle to promote their business, but cant blame them for that.
By chance I met one of the L.A. Team gentlemen and we talked cars for nearly an hour. He seemed to be very genuine and a true collector as well.
But when the smoke clears, the cars they sell at these auctions are most all of graded 3 and 4 quality. Anyone owning a grade 3 or 4 car knows what they have and what the car is worth. They use the auction as a way to get the car out to be seen by the people that are true buyers and the money to buy their dream car.. or by restorers that have searched and found "Deals" that still exist. Such as these teams are trying to do. I find it entertaining and true to its concept for the most part..But to call foul on these teams seems unfair considering how rare it is to find a quality and interesting car for sale cheap enuf to make a good profit on..
But, the L.A. team did find a C3 in Vegas that they bought from a guy that was in dyer need They believe will make a very good profit for their charity. That show hasnt been on yet but will be soon I believe.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:47 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see what the problem is. Anyone who's watched the auctions knows that most sellers lose money, and only a few make money. Pay attention and you'll hear that so-and-so spent $80,000 restoring the car, but it sells for $30K. Anyone who gets into this hobby thinking they can make money buying and selling classic cars needs psychological examination. Only a very few rare folks will succeed.

If you wanna make money in the car hobby, change your last name to Edelbrock, and open a performance shop!
Old 07-22-2004, 09:09 AM
Fevre
Race Director

The whole show concept is a little fishy to me, a whole gang of guys and cameras show up to buy a car from you, if you sell it you end up on TV, if not they just wasted your time. The dealers sell the cars so they get free advertising while the private seller gets to be 'famous' on TV. I wonder since the procedes are going to charity if the seller can write off the diff between the fair market value of the car wand what the sold it for? Probably lots going on behind the scenes they don't let you in on.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Rolm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fevre
The whole show concept is a little fishy to me, a whole gang of guys and cameras show up to buy a car from you, if you sell it you end up on TV, if not they just wasted your time. The dealers sell the cars so they get free advertising while the private seller gets to be 'famous' on TV. I wonder since the procedes are going to charity if the seller can write off the diff between the fair market value of the car wand what the sold it for? Probably lots going on behind the scenes they don't let you in on.

Well said that was the point I tried to make. Barrett Jackson in no different then any other auction " buyer be ware" Those prices that are bid on some of those cars may be a scam, were the so-called buyer keeps bidding and bidding on a car knowing that it's just for the TV show eventhough he wins the bid there is no actual sale.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:31 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Are we talking about the show, "Carsearch" ? Or the BJ auctions in general? It was clear that some of the carsearch cars were bid up beyond market value because the bidders knew the money was going to charity. I don't have a problem with that, although it does invalidate the premise of the show a little bit, ie, that there is a competition based on finding "undervalued" cars and selling them at true market.

And if you are interested, one of the Carsearch team members has been posting in the C1/C2 section, if you have questions for him.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Fevre
Race Director

BTW

That was a sweet Hemi Road Runner they brought back from England, anyone catch the price?

Get notified of new replies

To Barrett Jackson a Real Scam

Quick Reply: Barrett Jackson a Real Scam