C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched Glass

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 05:38 PM
69'Silver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Scratched Glass

Does any know how to remove a scratch from glas. I have a good size scratch in the passanger side glass. It will catch your fingernail if you drag it across. Is this to deep to repair. The glass is the original and I would prefer to keep it.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:32 PM
CruisinCO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd call a good glass shop, but i'd think if you can fit your fingernail in it, it's prob too deep....Just a guess...
Old 07-27-2004, 08:36 PM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeaaa... about that. You should see my windows. To tell you the truth, I havnt even seen them since the doors were put back together. With no top either, I just keep them rolled down. My baby sits in its own locked up garage covered and heated in the winter (minus one motor right now). It only comes out when there is definatley no chance of rain.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:44 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Eastwood sells a glass polishing kit for scratches.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:16 PM
79ls1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good glass shop shouldn't have any trouble. I had a good sized rock chip out of my windshield and the local shop happened to be at my work. They looked at it and said no problem, I'd never see it after repairs. Unfortunately, it spider webbed before I could get an appointment, so I can't tell you how well it works.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Location: Ville de la Baie Quebec. A winner is just a loser who tried again.
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I would do like the others said,, check out a shop. But if you want to do it yourself, 3M has an excelent polishing system, enybody can do it, its the expeience that will do the difference, its not easy to remove the distortion after the blending.......
Old 07-27-2004, 11:25 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good glass shops can grind the glass to look like new, however the process is very expensive..(here in IL anyway) They wanted to charge $150.00 an hour, and estimate at least 1 hr for side glass. Also want the glass removed from the car (which mine was) Eastwood co sells a grinding kit for the do it yourselfer...but it takes skill. You can easily distort the glass if you do it wrong. Polishing kits work well and are easy to use...but will not remove scratches.
Good luck with your decision
Eddie

Get notified of new replies

To Scratched Glass

Quick Reply: Scratched Glass