C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straight vs tapered valve stems

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Straight vs tapered valve stems

OK, I am down to cleaning and inspecting my valves. The block is clean and ready to be milled, heads are clean and ready to be milled. The intake valves cleaned up nicely and are within tolerance of the valve guides. However, the exhaust valves are so pitted and covered with rock hard residue that I've ordered new valves...I checked the tolerance of the guides in the heads with the good intake valves, so I just ordered stock stems.

However, I noticed that the Clevite valves have tapered stems. At first I thought the old exhaust valve stems were worn by .001" on one end, but they could have been the tapered variety. As a note the intake valve stems are straight (not tapered). On the other hand the Sealed Power, manufactured by Federal Mogul, valve stems are straight. I don't see any advantage to a tapered valve stem...perhaps it's a way to get more oil down the valve stem? I'm going with the straight stem, but on the next rebuild I may change my mind if someone has a good enough reason.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:04 PM
comp
Team Owner

are you talking about just under the valve head??? on the tulup part?
Old 07-31-2004, 01:20 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by comp
are you talking about just under the valve head??? on the tulup part?
No, the entire stem is tapered. For example, the one in my hand right now measured with a vernier caliper near the grooves where I can see the valve was rubbing against the guide is .341" while toward the valve end is .340".

Since stock valve stems are .340" I figured there was .001" of wear near the valve end of the stem. But, it looks like it came that way.

Anyway, the valve stem on the valves I am ordering are .3414" to tighten up the gap due to the .001" of wear I see throughout the entire engine and the stems are straight....001" on both ends. I was getting a lot of smoke out the exhaust when I would first start the vette...I'm sure now that it was due to the large gap in the valve stems allowing too much oil to flow through to the cylinders.

Anyone know anything about the difference between tapered and straight?
Old 07-31-2004, 01:40 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have never heard of tapered valve stems? They are all straight as far as I know.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:55 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

The head end of the valve sees much more heat than the keeper end of the valve. That is the reason for the taper. When we use a straight stem valve we will then put a taper in the valve guide, opening up the port end of the guide an extra .0005 - .0008 to help keep the valve from sticking in the guide on high compression engines that have a lot of exhaust temperature.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:29 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pete79L82
The head end of the valve sees much more heat than the keeper end of the valve. That is the reason for the taper. When we use a straight stem valve we will then put a taper in the valve guide, opening up the port end of the guide an extra .0005 - .0008 to help keep the valve from sticking in the guide on high compression engines that have a lot of exhaust temperature.
Now THAT makes a lot of sense. I'll have to see what the valves I ordered measure out as when I get them...they still could be tapered for all I know. If not, then I figure it will be time to get the guides reamed during the next rebuild...which will be in about three years...after I graduate from college and get a job that will enable me to drop a crate engine in the vette temporarily while I do the rebuild.

This is so sad being without my vette...almost like being lonely. All those cowbody songs should be re-written to replace horse, boots, girl, etc. with vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Straight vs tapered valve stems

Quick Reply: Straight vs tapered valve stems