C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior work - phase one.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 06:21 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interior work - phase one.

Well, carpet is out! More of a job than I thunk but yea it's out!

It's so odd - the pass. side is very rusty under the footwell area - I knew that it always got wet when I washed the car. Can't see where it's coming from though even with dash out. Anyway, there was reflectix under there, but only directly under the seat. No more than that. I scraped the rust off the floor and don't know about putting in the new carpet without fixing the water leak. Anyway that side scraped clean except behind the seats. Old carpet was glued to the undercoating and pulling it up left a bunch of jute stuck to the undercoat.

Drivers side was a different story. Same amount of Reflectix may just as well have been left OUT for all there was. But the glue on top of the floor won't scrape up. It is ON THERE and I can't get the putty knife flat on the metal flooring like on Pass.Side. Tons of glue and undercoat. I need suggestions to pick that stuff up.

Drivers' side carpet was moldy underneath and really stunk when I pulled it up. I need to find water leaks on both sides and that's a bit over my head too. I don't have the wherewithal to go replacing the birdcage if that's what the car needs.

I'm going to need a couple of interior panels too. Do they sell them pre stained? How is it going to look unless I restain the whole interior? Seems like it will not look right having new panels next to old. There again - it's over my head to completely gut the inside and replace with new. All this started out to be was a carpet job!

I need to get some sleeep it's 3:20 in the morning! I need to find my sanity here too. Anyone seen it?
Old 08-09-2004, 08:20 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Welcome to that wonderfull world called "restoration" Paul! I had similar issues with my 72, so I know where your comming from. If your weatherstripping is good, check the outside drain corners next to your windshield for that leak. Debris may be blocking the drain channel, and water may be comming in.
Just a thought
Eddie
Old 08-09-2004, 09:12 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
Tons of glue and undercoat. I need suggestions to pick that stuff up.
I just used a steel bristle cup brush on my drill. It probably took me about a half hour of grinding per side. Then I hit it with rust converter and then 2 layers of rubberized undercoating. If it rusts again, it won't be from the inside!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:18 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default No wonder

Originally Posted by wcsinx
I just used a steel bristle cup brush on my drill. It probably took me about a half hour of grinding per side. Then I hit it with rust converter and then 2 layers of rubberized undercoating. If it rusts again, it won't be from the inside!
Gawd I just went out to the garage a day later and the drivers side floorpan still looks WET!
And it was the Pass. side that I KNEW leaked. I may have to push her out into the sun and get a good look at things tomorrow. Who wants to help me push it back IN?
Old 08-09-2004, 10:16 PM
vttedrm
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul, how can the car have a leak.....I thought "It Never Rains in Southern California..." damn, now I'm going to hve that song in my head all night.

Don't you just love starting a SMALL project, and finding your restoring the whole car!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:00 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vttedrm
Don't you just love starting a SMALL project, and finding your restoring the whole car!
YEA! My car never gets rained on but it DOES get washed!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:01 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Gawd I just went out to the garage a day later and the drivers side floorpan still looks WET!
And it was the Pass. side that I KNEW leaked. I may have to push her out into the sun and get a good look at things tomorrow. Who wants to help me push it back IN?
Rust can hold onto moisture like a sponge. Another thing I did (both pre and post grinding) was to "brush" the pans with a propane torch. It's amazing how much water vapor will come up out of dry looking rusty pans. Just sweep back and forth being careful not to blast the sides much.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:37 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Just sweep back and forth being careful not to blast the sides much.

Very good suggestion! Or just fire her up and let the headers do the cookin' !!

Your way is much MUCH more quiet though!
Old 08-10-2004, 04:22 PM
comp
Team Owner

all sound good... DON"T forget to wear a mask
Old 08-10-2004, 05:18 PM
Double Aught
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Paul, I promise, after today, I will not make fun of your brown Corvette. I'll just call her Ol'e Rusty.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:42 PM
BBShark
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

I just removed 2 layers of adhesive and glued in jute from my interior. I used Goo Gone spray gel that you can get at Home Depot in the paint section. I sprayed it on thick 24 hours before trying to scrape it out. It's not easy, but it works better than anything I have tried.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:53 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Now THAT's an idea!

I used Goo Gone spray gel that you can get at Home Depot in the paint section. I sprayed it on thick 24 hours before trying to scrape it out

Thank U!
Old 08-11-2004, 09:22 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a wire brush on an angle grinder. Removed all of it in less than two hours.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:49 PM
stingray4me
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was leaking above the upper door hinge, I had to weld in a new piece of metal there. I also put that spray strayphome stuff behind the kick panel.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior work - phase one.

Quick Reply: Interior work - phase one.