C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Water Pump Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 11:28 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Potential Water Pump Problems?

I have been trying to track down an overheating problem. I am starting to wonder if it is the water pump which wasnt my initial thought because I replaced it about a year ago. So I decided to take off the upper radiator hose off and run the car thinking I could tell if the pump was working. I dont know if this is the proper way to test it or just something stupid . But I only occassionally got squirts of water coming out. I know the thermostat opened and thats why I think there are occasionally spirts but shouldnt there be a pretty continuous stream of water if the pump is working correctly. I know there wouldnt be pressure in the cooling system becuase I have the hose off so does that kind of void my experiment. So is my pump dead, I need some help.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:39 PM
Simmo
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cant comment on the pump test but...

There are water pumps and there are water pumps. Edelbrock Victor and Stewart make pumps with better designed vanes that flow more water and brings down temps. Dont fall for the old wives tale of restricting flow through the block to give it time to absorb heat.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:57 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Umm, ok.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:23 AM
Joe Buck
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Potential Water Pump Problems?

Quick Reply: Potential Water Pump Problems?