C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the kick-down switch be adjusted?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 08:32 PM
brystheguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can the kick-down switch be adjusted?

My kick-down switch (75 L-48) that operates the ducted hood door is waaay off. If I pull the plunger down with my hand all the way I can hear the solenoid opening the door but there is no way that the gas pedal will activate it. The top of the pedal arm is about an inch away from the activation point of the switch. I read in the AIM and it said the following:

After installation, press switch plunger as far forward as possible. This presets switch for adjustment. Switch will adjust itself with first wide open throttle application of accelerator pedol.

Will the switch reset itself? How does it know that it's wide open throttle? I'm confused!
Old 09-20-2004, 09:26 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put some tape on the pedal rod to get the desired adjustment. Some people actually bend the rod for this. Electrical tape or hockey tape works just fine.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:30 PM
brystheguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by desi
I just put some tape on the pedal rod to get the desired adjustment. Some people actually bend the rod for this. Electrical tape or hockey tape works just fine.
Thanks. Cripes, I'll need a whole roll of electrical tape to get mine to activate! I'm still curious about the AIM way though.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:27 AM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took mine apart and inside are a series of serrations, the switch is set in the full forward position and when you first press the pedal to the floor it self adjusts to the WOT activation position there is no way to set the switch or make it activate sooner.

The only problem is that with this setup the flap only opens at full throttle. At 3/4 throttle when the secondaries are open there is no cold air entering and really limits the breathing of the engine.

The purpose of the flap is to keep water out for daily driving and to give you a shot of cold air at WOT. I do not drive my car in the rain and would like cold air as often as possible even at partial throttle postions therefore out the flap came. I am going to plug the two snorkle oultets as well so that all the incoming air will be through the hood.

Get notified of new replies

To Can the kick-down switch be adjusted?

Quick Reply: Can the kick-down switch be adjusted?