C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiberglass floor repair question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 09:06 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 859 Likes on 630 Posts

Default Fiberglass floor repair question

OK, while getting ready to put my interior back together I decided to replace my front carpet. When I pulled it out I found a long but not severe crack in the drivers side floor near the clutch. I have never done any fiberglass work before. Should I do this repair in the interior or underneath the car or both. I did a search and only came up with severe cases of this. Mine really isn't bad as I pushed hard on the area and it still felt solid but I would be dumb not to fix it now. Please tell me how you experts would repair this. Thanks for the help.

Bill
Old 09-20-2004, 09:29 PM
65LS6C4
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill,

You need to make the repair on both sides. Just feather the ends around the crack making a wide valley with the crack at the low point of the valley. Try to make the valley about 3 inches wide to add enough stability to the repair. Make certain that you do not have any paint left in the area that you intend to place fiberglass. Fill the valley starting with progressively wider strips of glass soaked in resin (example 1", 2" 3"). Lay the most narrow stip first, then lay the next wider strip.. and so on until you fill the valley. Allow the repair to cure, then sand smooth. Make the same repair on the other side. There should be some fiberglass tutorial examples online. This type of repair is not difficult to make. If you are in a rush you can lay one wide sheet of glass on one of the repair sides (without feathering, wait for it to dry and then just feather the other side very well to make a more integral repair on that side. good luck
Old 09-20-2004, 09:37 PM
Summerfun
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 65LS6C4
Bill,

You need to make the repair on both sides. Just feather the ends around the crack making a wide valley with the crack at the low point of the valley. Try to make the valley about 3 inches wide to add enough stability to the repair. Make certain that you do not have any paint left in the area that you intend to place fiberglass. Fill the valley starting with progressively wider strips of glass soaked in resin (example 1", 2" 3"). Lay the most narrow stip first, then lay the next wider strip.. and so on until you fill the valley. Allow the repair to cure, then sand smooth. Make the same repair on the other side. There should be some fiberglass tutorial examples online. This type of repair is not difficult to make. If you are in a rush you can lay one wide sheet of glass on one of the repair sides (without feathering, wait for it to dry and then just feather the other side very well to make a more integral repair on that side. good luck

Old 09-20-2004, 09:38 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Best place to start, on the floor where you will not see it. Go for it.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:56 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Thanks a million guys. I will give it a shot tomorrow. I assume it is OK to use any generic auto parts store fiberglass repair kit? Thanks again.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:10 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill,

I ran into the same problem with my 69. Both floor boards were cracked, and the passenger side was nearly broken out (floor pan was cracked on three sides). In my case, I used a jack to raise the damaged section from below and forced the pan into position before doing repairs.

Since this area will be covered by both a pad and rug, unless you lay the cloth on REAL thick, you shouldn't need to sand when done.

Mark
Old 09-20-2004, 10:29 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Thanks Mark.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:23 AM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
I assume it is OK to use any generic auto parts store fiberglass repair kit? .
For '69's this is fine. I think later cars need something different. also use matt for repair, not cloth. works better and not a "Bubu." Watch the mix ratio and timing on the resin. Read the directions. The worst that can happen is that you scrape it back out and do it again. Also buy a gal of acitone for clean-up.

Take a look at the battery box since you are back there.

69's rock!

George
Old 09-21-2004, 07:43 AM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point on the battery box. Mine was cracked and needed to be repaired as well.

Mark
Old 09-21-2004, 08:47 AM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Here is a tip you will appreciate: When doing the underside, lay your fiberglass on a plastic sheet, like a drycleaner bag. Have all your pieces precut and layer them with resin on the plastic sheet. Whet the prepared underside area with resin before raising the plastic sheet and placing the resin coated fiberglas against the underside. Roll it down over the plastic sheet to get out the air bubbles and slowly pull the plastic off at an angle. You may need to roll it again to remove all the air pockets. Ferget trying to lay-up the fiberglass layer by layer underneith, it won't happen.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:40 PM
stingry
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I had a similar problem. I went to a steel shop and had a piece of 1/16" steel cut (aluminium would work too but is hard to bend) and then riveted that in place with resin between the steel and floor. I cut out holes for the floor drain. Use large rivets with washers as backers on the underneith side and a backer on the steel side. This clamps the steel in place while the resin dries. Then I laied 2-3 layers of matt over the top of the steel to gain back some insulation properties. Solid as a rock. I did the floo and the firewall (about a 45 degree bend) and now it doesn't crack or creak when you get in the car. I have pics if you want. Just send me an email address.

Cheers,

Pete

OK, while getting ready to put my interior back together I decided to replace my front carpet. When I pulled it out I found a long but not severe crack in the drivers side floor near the clutch. I have never done any fiberglass work before. Should I do this repair in the interior or underneath the car or both. I did a search and only came up with severe cases of this. Mine really isn't bad as I pushed hard on the area and it still felt solid but I would be dumb not to fix it now. Please tell me how you experts would repair this. Thanks for the help.

Bill
Old 09-21-2004, 01:40 PM
stingry
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Default floor pan fix

I had a similar problem. I went to a steel shop and had a piece of 1/16" steel cut (aluminium would work too but is hard to bend) and then riveted that in place with resin between the steel and floor. I cut out holes for the floor drain. Use large rivets with washers as backers on the underneith side and a backer on the steel side. This clamps the steel in place while the resin dries. Then I laied 2-3 layers of matt over the top of the steel to gain back some insulation properties. Solid as a rock. I did the floo and the firewall (about a 45 degree bend) and now it doesn't crack or creak when you get in the car. I have pics if you want. Just send me an email address.

Cheers,

Pete

Bill
Old 09-21-2004, 08:30 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the replies everyone. I feel armed with the info to get it done now.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:46 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Bill,
When I got my '74, I found that the floor on both sides under the seats had been pulled UP !!! It would seem that the seatbelts had been worn when the car stopped suddenly and the force had pulled the steel plates UNDER the floor through the (fibreglass) floor. I pulled all the carpet out and the battery as well. Most of the floor in the battery box was corroded or missing - it was a wonder that the battery didn't fall out.

SO. I suggest that you take 999's advice and check the battery box as well. As for repairs, I didn't lay glass underneath, just put several layers over the top and guess that the floor is at least 10 mm thick in some areas. I did "grind" the floor clean for good adhesion first. To stop the resin falling through the gaps, especially in the battery box area, I used lots of duct tape UNDER the floor to make a "water-tight" barrier to keep the resin where I wanted it. Good luck!

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 09-22-2004, 10:46 AM
Grinchia
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stingry

Cheers,

Pete

Pics would be great, I'm looking at a similar (more severe, involving the lower edge of the firewall as well) repair this winter when I pull the engine. E-mail me at :

grinch@iw.net

Thanks in advance!

-Roy

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass floor repair question

Quick Reply: Fiberglass floor repair question