C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Conversion--alternatives to R134a?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 11:42 PM
Homie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Conversion--alternatives to R134a?

Heya. In addition to getting a new engine in my '80 6-speed vette, I am going to have the mechanic fix the air (not sure what is wrong, just doesn't blow cold air). I told him I definately didn't want to stick with the old system that uses a coolant that is near impossible to get (R12).

I remember a couple of years ago when I first came on the forum (different screen name) some of yall were talking about alternatives to the R134a systems. I think there was even a website specifically dedicated to the different systems you could convert a R12 system into. Some people were also claiming you could add a can or two of something-or-other to a R134a system to help make it colder.

Anyone know what the alternatives are, what that special thing is that one should add to a R134a system to make it colder, or what that website is?

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:57 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stay away from the wierdo refrigerants. They are propane based and marginal at best. Plus, if you contaminate a guy's recovery equipment with it, you will pay big $$$ to repair it!

R134a is in my stock setup (new drier and oil) and it works great.

Hans
Old 09-24-2004, 01:08 AM
jn76vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Have you considered Freeze-12?Freeze 12
Old 09-24-2004, 01:44 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Wrencher
Stay away from the wierdo refrigerants. They are propane based and marginal at best. Plus, if you contaminate a guy's recovery equipment with it, you will pay big $$$ to repair it!

R134a is in my stock setup (new drier and oil) and it works great.

Hans

My 1980's A/C was cold enough to make my toes cold on a trip from Phoenix to Tucson in 108 degree temps doing 80 MPH down the interstate. It is the original system using 134a. I have sealed up all the ducts under the dash to keep what little air flow there is going to the vents. I also have put heat / sound barrier under the carpet, but my heals still roast from the exhaust pipe under them and my e-brake is very hot to the touch after a cruise.
If anything, when the factory compressor kicks the bucket, I will have an aftermarket polished Sanden compressor put in.

Those other replacement refrigerants are nasty and some are very dangerous. Either pay for the R12, or convert to the 134a.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:08 AM
ewalker302
Instructor

I've converted a few cars to 134a and its really easy and cheap to do. I think the kits are around $30 at wallmart/autozone.
It is just as cold, and I've never seen it cause a leak.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:29 AM
ACECO
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

I've heard of people using propane but this is NUTS IMO. Use a 134a conversion kit (w/oil) after pulling, and holding, a vacuum on the system to completely evacuate all the R-12 and also make sure you have no leaks. I have done this on several cars with no issues. FWIW.

Good Luck!

Old 09-24-2004, 05:45 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you intend to do the job youself .... Freeze 12 is very good. I was skeptical until I tried it. It has NO flamables like propane.. it is 134a and 142b to carry the mineral oil that is in an R12 system. They say you can just put it in an R12 system. They do reccomend that you add some ester oil. Now when you use freeze 12 both oils circulate and the combination does seem to cooler better at low speed. I had a very small leak that I couln't find (I have a sniffer) with just R134a but not with the freeze 12.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Freeze12 was recommended to me by a shop I respect.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:39 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,555 Likes on 804 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I went the R12A, which is what Freeze 12 is. By research it appears this is a very good way to go. It is designed to mix with existing R12 and is environmentally safe. It also blows colder than R134. It is my belief that most shops are pushing the conversion because it is a good money maker. R12A is only $15 a pound and with C3s using only 3lbs total you can see where they would make more money. A conversion for $100+, or a recharge for about $50 max.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Pete76Shark
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

On a long or short cruise on a 95 degree day I have to turn mine down from max cool, and until that changes I am sticking with 134a.

Also, if you search e-bay you will find a good bunch of folks selling the small cans of r12.

If done correctly the 134a is just fine and if you read all of the threads on this you can cut a few corners (just do a conversion kit and nothing else) and 134a is still fine.

Depends on how much time and money you want to throw at it right.
But at least you have options.
1) buy r12 cans & oil from ebay.
2) buy r134a cans or conversion kit from local auto parts store.
3) buy "whatever" from ?? and have a unique system that nobody will touch except you..

Depends on how much risk you want to take.
I myself would not pick #3 cause it is to unique, but Larry B. knows what he is talking about regarding the oil being compatable, very important.
Also if you can't do the work yourself (cause your not handy on A/C stuff) then you had better have a
guy who will work on your A/C if you go with #3

I picked #2 and replaced parts and O rings so I had 99% new parts in the A/C system when I was done. I am very happy with my vent temps.

If I was interested in quick and easy, I would do #1 and call it a day.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Homie
Instructor

Talked with the guy who is going to install my new engine and asked him about R134a versus R12a. He said he generally does R12a and prefers to go that route because it is generally colder. Although the R12a itself costs a little more, it is not significant.

Seems like I'll go this route unless someone knows a strong reason not to.

Thanks a bunch.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Conversion--alternatives to R134a?

Quick Reply: A/C Conversion--alternatives to R134a?