C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension: When to rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Caphie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension: When to rebuild?

I'm new to Corvettes. I'm new to mechanics outside of "normal" maintenance items. As winter is fast approaching I'm thinking more and more about prioritizing all of the projects I expect to do to my '79.

Since I'm new to the "sport" I am not entirely sure if I'm supposed to feel every bump in the road or if my car is due for some suspension work. I'm looking for feedback on how you decide when it's time to rebuild the suspension and/or replace shocks.

As far as I can tell my 64,000 mile car is on its original suspension components and shocks. I hear a lot of creaking/squeaking from the rear end at low speeds (pulling into the driveway, for instance). The steering feels loose. I don't expect it to be as tight as a modern car, but overall I think the car should just feel "tighter."

I am considering placing an order with VanSteel for a complete suspension rebuild (rubber bushings) and a set of Bilstein shocks. However, I'll be pretty disappointed if after installing all of this stuff the car still feels the same.

TIA
Old 09-24-2004, 05:01 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

My guess is that you would see an improvement one way or another. The original rubber bushings deteriorate over time regardless of mileage on the car. At ver least it would reduce or eliminate some of the squeeks and groans. Steering "tightness" is almost more a matter of opinion. I expect my ride to be extremely tight and will change rods and ends to make this happen but that's me. Many don't mind a little slack.

Incidentally, if you want a professional opinion, simply call VanSteel up. They're good folks.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:13 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Welcome to Corvettes. Since this is your first car then you'll have to get "used" to some things about them. First they almost always will need some type of work so if you bought one to work on you're ok,but if you bought one expecting to only perform maintenance then you might be in for a surprise.
The noises you hear may be normal for the car, the harder ride is. Try an earlier car -73 with solid mounts for a firmer ride! Rubber suspension parts are affected more by age then mileage. So your car with under 100k miles may have more wear then a newer higher mileage car. That said, you have to jack up the car or get it on a lift and look it over good. Check the suspension parts for excessive movement and dry rot. Before you start dropping money into it,have a knowledgable vette person look it over for you. When you know the status you can decide on what direction you want to take. If you start putting in a lot of money then loose interest or want out you may not get back your investment on a '79.
Good luck, the 78 and 79 cars can be built into nice drivers with some work.
Gary
Old 09-24-2004, 05:35 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

You WILL see a difference, but remember these cars will still ride rough....not like a dump truck...don't expect a Cadillac either.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

with everyone. Installing new bushings compared to your old wore out ones will be an improvement. Like GTR1999 said, get the car in the air and check out how things look. This is what your front suspension will look like.

This is what the rear looks like.

Up front you only have bushings on the control arms and sway bar. In the rear you have bushings on the t-arms, strut rods and in front of the differential. Check all of those.

You can also check your bearing out by pushing at 3 & 9 o'clock on your tires. If you have a lot of play, that means that your bearing are starting to wear and they should be rebuilt. If you push at 12 & 6 this will check the play for you side yokes. If you look at the side yokes while someone else pushes the tire, you will see the side yoke actually move in and out of the differential. No more than a 1/16" - 1/8" in and out. Well I hope some of this helps you out. If you have any questions you can call me anytime. We are open M-F 8-5 and my name is Dan. I'll be more than happy to speak with you and help you out in any way. My number is 800-418-5397
Old 09-24-2004, 09:32 PM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

while you're doing this, replace the springs. they are 25 yrs old. i'm running poly with a kit from Zip that i got Dec 96, and installed with VBP 460 lb front springs, 330 lb composite spring in the rear, delco gas shocks. i've got about 18k on this set up now and it rides firm, firmer than stock, but not the roughest.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:38 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you go taking the car apart - tighten the adjusting bolt on top of the steering box. Straighten the wheel, loosen the lock nut, tighten the screw 'til you get resistance, then back off 1/8 turn, and tighten the lock nut while holding the screw steady. Joe
Old 09-24-2004, 09:45 PM
75rag4sp
Racer

Originally Posted by joe73vette
Before you go taking the car apart - tighten the adjusting bolt on top of the steering box. Straighten the wheel, loosen the lock nut, tighten the screw 'til you get resistance, then back off 1/8 turn, and tighten the lock nut while holding the screw steady. Joe
This will take out some of the slop but that is why I have a box of steeroids in the garage!!!!!
Old 09-24-2004, 09:48 PM
Caphie
Advanced

Thanks, all! I've been lurking (mostly) here since I bought the car a couple of months ago and I am truly amazed at how willing most of you are to help out us newbies! You're a stand-up crowd and it makes me proud to be a C3 owner.

I bought the car as a project. In fact, I had a chance at a '76 in better condition for only $1000 more. However, the "project" aspect led me to the one I bought. I'm itching to learn as much as possible and I'm not afraid to dig in... but I want to be darned sure the next owner doesn't ever refer to me as "bubba."

I'm trying to organize the project into phases. Phase 1 will involve what I call "straightening it out." Basically, I want to get the drive train back to near stock condition and get all of the accessories (door locks, AC, headlights, etc.) working again. This will involve the suspension work mentioned above, rebuilding the Q-Jet, and other miscellaneous items (the car sat for years before I bought it).

Phase 2 will involve the aesthetics. I plan to redo the interior in all black and repaint the car Chevy’s Torch Red.

Phase 3 is where performance mods find their way onto the car. By that time it will depend on how “tired” the engine is, but I think I’ll lean toward a crate engine when that day arrives (probably years from now).

Since I know you guys LOVE pics, I'll post the car as it appeared when I bought it a couple months ago:

Old 09-25-2004, 08:08 PM
crazcorkath
Instructor

If the steering feels loose, it could be more than just bushings. It could also be the rag joint or a part in your front end.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension: When to rebuild?

Quick Reply: Suspension: When to rebuild?