C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the proceedure to gravity-bleed brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 12:03 AM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakes

Well I'll be trying the Denatured alchohol, but I use the little specimen bottle with the trigger thinggy...KK?
Old 10-09-2004, 08:25 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 822 Posts

Stainless Steel Brakes Co. does not like using denatured alcohol. They are concerned that some of it might not get out of the system. It has a low boiling point and if any is left in there it can cause BUBBLES. They recomend fresh DOT3 as a flush fluid (even if you are switching to DOT5). The fluid will not be in there long enough to soak into the new hoses so it won't leach out over time. You need to replace the hoses when you do the swap to DOT5.

You should remove the vacuum check valve from the booster to be sure the M/C is fully in the "zero" position. If you have non-power brakes you can just loosten the 2 nuts on the firewall if you want to be sure the M/C is in the "zero" position.

You can jack up the rear so the center of the axle flange is 15" above the floor with the axles drooping.

There has got to be 100 different ways to bleed brakes. I must have tried them all. I bought a cheap pressure bleeder and it helped me a lot.

-Mark.

Quick Reply: What's the proceedure to gravity-bleed brakes?