C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 12:34 PM
wadey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hood adjustment

The hood of my '76 sets a bit higher where the front clip meets the hood at the corner of the windshield and was wondering what the proper adjustment procedure was.I tried to adjust the two latches at the windshield and had some success but then the hood didn't close as easily.Can an adjustment be done at the latches at the front of the hood?
thanx wade
Old 10-08-2004, 12:59 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

They sell rubber spacers that are placed in the channels about halfway between the latches and the hinges. They are used to arch the hood. Try running a search in this forum and you may find some good info. I've seen it asked before.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through something similar with my 80. I tried removing the shims on the hood and much like you, my hood was a bear to get to latch. I then attacked the problem from the other side. I shimmed up the latch mechanism, I am talking the part that sits down in the engine bay, just to clarify. I did this on both sides with some washers, removed the shims on the parts on the hood and it has helped tremendously. I almost have it perfectly level to the quarter panels now. I don't know how different you 76 and my 80 are but you might give it a shot and see what it does for you. It is always undo-able.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:54 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

You're talking of the front hinges? You can make alignment easier by-------
* take the hood and hinges off.
* look at the surfaces the hinges rest and bolt against. You'll probably see that the hinges have made deep impressions in the fiberglass there.
* wrap some sandpaper around a 3/4" piece of wood and sand those surfaces flat.

You now can shim (or remove shims) and see positive results. With those surfaces uneven you'll always get a wobble and never the same set as you're trying to get good alignment.

Get notified of new replies

To hood adjustment

Quick Reply: hood adjustment