C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nearly in tears.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 10:55 AM
KINGTED
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nearly in tears.

Yesterday on the way to work I took the vette because my truck was back in the shop. Getting on the freeway I heard a clapping type of sound from below/forward. I played witht he gas and clutch a bit listening.

Running a couple minutes late, I figured I would check it out after work. no more than a mile later i was on the side of the road calling the insurance company to send a tow truck.

I dont even know what happened it was all so fast. Cruising in the second lane going about 70 (really slow in southern california) listeing to the car debating about pulling off. Then with a clunck and what felt like the tire or suspension going, I think the engine seased on me. Instnataniously I slipped the clutch in and pulled over. When I stopped the engine was not running and there was steam/smoke coming from the hood.

As I called the insurance company to send a tow truck I starting looking under the car and on the road for parts that had come off. My heart dropped as I thought I saw oil dripping rappidly from the oil pan. As the sun rose (and 2 hours later as the tow truck lifted the vette) I realised it was not only black oil but also water and antifreeze dripping from the oilpan.

So, its at the mechanic's now. We are guessing it will need a new motor, which really blows since that was the original, matching numbers 454. Seeing as how I never thought I would be in this possition I never really paid attention to the posts about swapping and choosing engines. Any suggestions as to what I should put in it? An old one rebuilt, a new one? I dont know. I still don't want to realise what is going to happen.

At least the truck is running really well now (knock on wood).

TED
Old 10-15-2004, 10:59 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's sad. But before you post an official R.I.P. on the engine, pull the heads and oil pan and see how it looks inside. And make sure your mechanic doesn't encourage you to simply replace the motor with another unit, unless that's what you really want. What we would have thought were basket case engines have been rebuilt to better-than-new!
Old 10-15-2004, 11:00 AM
munday
Le Mans Master

hopefully you can reuse your block.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:01 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 316 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 thru '24
Oldtimer

sorry to hear of your trouble, but be positive, you don't Know the engine is shot. Usually they give more warning than that that something is going wrong. Good luck. Might be a semi minor thing.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:08 AM
stingry
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

If the pistons didn't go through the side of the block there is always hope. It sort of sounds like a head gasket as the sump was full of coolant, another thing it could be is the heads. Sounds like a great chance to rebuild the original motor and put on some BB aluminium heads. Then you can really cruise at 70!!!!!!

On a serious note I rebuilt my motor and it was about the same cost as a low power crate motor. Mine is a SB. for yours I imagine it will be cheaper as BB crate motors are not cheap. Expect to pay between $1500-$3000 for a rebuild. If you are worried about numbers make sure the shop nows this and get them to put it in writing. I had mine barely machined on the numbers side of the block and it still is legibile and looks great. It is fantastic when people look under the hood and drool over the engine especially after you tell them it is the ORIGINAL 1970 engine.

Good luck!
Old 10-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Summerfun
Race Director

Originally Posted by stingry
. If you are worried about numbers make sure the shop nows this and get them to put it in writing.
Good luck!

When they take out the engine get a Vette buddy to go with you and go over the engine.
Even if you know nothing about engines, having a buddy to speculate with using plain old common sense can get you a lot of answers!!!!

Maybe a forum member lives close by??

I wish you luck!!
Old 10-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like it grenaded (probably tossed a rod), but I agree about saving the block, just in case. It'll be worthless as a core anyway, if the rod went through the side as I suspect. The heads should be fine in any case. Look at it from the bright side, now you can build a stout BB with all the goodies. I'm thinking KB forged pistons, Carello rods, steel crank, womper-stomper cam kit, ported heads, Hooker headers... Yep, that's definitely the bright side! Bummer it had to let go on the freeway.

Hans
Old 10-22-2004, 09:30 PM
KINGTED
Intermediate

Default The Block Is Salvageable :)

My mechanic finally got the back of his place cleared out and got the engine out. He said It was bad. Looked like it broke at the piston first. The cam was in 3 pieces. He said the block is not good but we can put a couple sleeves in it and I think he said a weld. When I asked well what pieces can we keep, the reply was the block (thank god), the intake manifold and the carb. So this should all cost less than a crate and the value of keeping the block makes it well worth it.

So next question, what do I rebuild it with? The original 454 Had a ton of power to begin with, but I wouldnt mind more. If there are better parts that are tougher and more efficiant. I dont even know, I wasnt looking at upgrading the engine untill it died last week.

Thanks for your help and support guys.

TED
Old 10-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Summerfun
Race Director

Could you show some pics of the block.
ALL the damaged areas.

That block may cost a you lot of money in the long run if it is not structurally sound!!!
Old 10-22-2004, 09:49 PM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

Youll have to get the thing dipped and echoed and blueprinted....the whole damn kit and kaboodle before you start reduilding it...boring it out...yea..hahaha itll be cheaper IMO to get a fresh 454...plus there is a piece of mind factor. Engines blow dude...literally and figuretively. No sense driving something that may not have a sound block just some NCRS label for "numbers matching".
Old 10-22-2004, 10:37 PM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Default KerChunck

Thats a sickening sound, I know, Had a 350 in a 69 camero nuke on me, I was just getting up on the freeway just like you, the metal plate on the back of the water pump desentegrated and dumped all the water on the road. Before I could pull over it warped the heads and over heated.....Bummer, Hang in there, Go for a new block, don't trust the old.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Don't let them deck the block, I think that's where you'll loose your number matching block.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:05 PM
KINGTED
Intermediate

Default value?

The original block adds alot of value to the car though, for a 71 with the OG 454 even if its only the block and intake. Not that Im looking to sell it soon, but I dont want to lose alot of money in this. butt Im not sure, obviously thats why Im asking for advise and recommendations.

TED
Old 10-22-2004, 11:30 PM
81 Vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05
First C3 General Poster!

Originally Posted by KINGTED
The original block adds alot of value to the car though, for a 71 with the OG 454 even if its only the block and intake. Not that Im looking to sell it soon, but I dont want to lose alot of money in this. butt Im not sure, obviously thats why Im asking for advise and recommendations.

TED
Sorry kiddo but this isnt a question of percieved value, its a question of practicality and safety.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:17 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Build a crate motor and set the original aside. When/if the time comes and you want to sell the car, resleeve the block, weld it, put a cheap rebuild kit in it and sell.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:37 AM
75rag4sp
Racer

Originally Posted by lostpatrolman
Build a crate motor and set the original aside. When/if the time comes and you want to sell the car, resleeve the block, weld it, put a cheap rebuild kit in it and sell.
Yep If he is more worried about numbers than a sound engine it wont be driven hard.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:25 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,062 Likes on 821 Posts

When you sleeve the block, you have to deck it anyway so the numbers will be cut off. No reason to try saving that block. Throw it in the corner of the garage and get you a different block to start with.

-Mark.

Get notified of new replies

To Nearly in tears.

Old 10-23-2004, 11:53 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Save to old one for resale (not that it'll help much) and drop a crate in...
Old 10-23-2004, 12:43 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Save the old for resale purposes. Slather it in grease and set aside. It is worth keeping. Then buy a crate BB or one from something else and have it built. You will be dollars ahead in the long run.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:34 PM
KINGTED
Intermediate

Man, this just really sucks.

I want both power and I dont want to lose money on it. I dont plan on selling soon, I'd like to keep it forever, but I also dont want essentially throw away money.

A crate is going to be more expensive too. Plus I think if I get a crate, legally I have to put cats on it, get it smog checked, and all of that. I guess I need to make a decision and tell my mechanic tomorrow. Maybe I should just tow it home and leave it.

Thanx
TED

Quick Reply: Nearly in tears.