C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small block engine, big block hood: what to do with the extra space?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 05:14 PM
cicconjo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Small block engine, big block hood: what to do with the extra space?

When I got my '69 my original intention was to do a SB to BB engine swap. The more I learned from you all the more I realized it would involve more $$$ and know-how than I presently have. So I considered a 383 build, but again, to do it right is no bargain. Lastly I thought about supercharging, or turbocharging, and more of the same. And since I have neither the technical skills to do the work myself, nor the time to learn, I've decided the most intelligent thing would be to just embrace my nice-running 350, and maybe do some minor mods, and spend the rest of the money on cosmetic fixes. In fact, since the previous owner had a big block hood installed, I've ordered correct-looking "3-5-0" emblems from Corvette America to put where the "4-2-7" would usually go. If God god gives you lemons make lemonade.

So my question is what would you guys recommend that I do under the hood for relatively cheap? Hot cam? Performance carb? Gear adjustmements? Headers? Intake? What am I missing? What's the easiest and cheapest way to add some power and fill up the extra room under ther hood? Any ideas would be most welcome.

Joe
Old 01-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The number one thing is get some headers. Then move on to changing the intake and tuning the carb. The type of carb isn't as important as having a well tuned one. Mess with the timing a bit and it should be quite a fun ride. While the intake is off you may want to swap the cam, but I have no suggestions as to what to get there. Tell us more about your stock setup.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:24 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That same hood was used on the LT-1 motors with their high rise intakes. Holley 300-36 is the same manifold. Needs a Holley carb, though. There are lots of good manifolds that would fill that space nicely. Joe
Old 01-05-2005, 05:33 PM
Paul @ Thunder
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe73vette
There are lots of good manifolds that would fill that space nicely. Joe

Along with a nice NOS plate kit too.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I have the same hood and love the style of it. That is the main reason for me doing the hood swap. When I was rebuilding my motor I went ahead and got a little bigger intake. I now wish I had gone bigger but, I got a good deal on the one I have. My suggestion is to get a better breathing intake and then exhaust. Those are just bolt ons for the most part and will help out in the performance department. All of this is if you don't already have these installed on your car.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:45 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Tell us more about your motor. Is it stock or modified? Joe
Old 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

There is not that much room under there with the LT1 intake. I have the stock air cleaner on mine and I have maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch clearance.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:48 PM
cicconjo
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those ideas are exactly along the lines of what I was thinking. The set-up right now is pretty quiet. Intake is from Edelbrock, low rise, Holley carb, and from what I can tell nothing special. The car is not with me now so I don't know the model numbers. I like the idea of getting a high rise intake to make use of the space.

And from a cosmetic standopoint, I never much cared from the Mickey Thompson(M/T) valve covers that are on now. I may go with something like this:

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...F1LQSSNFV64VB0

or else try to get something stock-looking.

Thanks for the help guys. If anyone had any other ideas I'm open . . .
Old 01-05-2005, 06:04 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

I like the stock aluminum valve covers: Joe
Old 01-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Gordonm
There is not that much room under there with the LT1 intake. I have the stock air cleaner on mine and I have maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch clearance.

I agree, can't be that much more room under there.

Get notified of new replies

To Small block engine, big block hood: what to do with the extra space?

Quick Reply: Small block engine, big block hood: what to do with the extra space?