C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A happy post for once from me...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 02:43 PM
BreauxBridgeKid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A happy post for once from me...

Thought about it all night. Everything is getting power except my ignition to the solenoid for my starter. Everything in the car works, cept for my ignition for my starter. Replaced my ignition switch, nothing. It just didnt make any sense to me. I'm no mechanic or anything like that but I'm ok with electronics from working in Car Stereo for quite a few years, so I gut my interior searching for something that made sense to me.
With my dash out of the way, I had pretty good access to my harness and ignition switch etc..So anyways after replacing the switch same thing all accessories work but starter just wont receive ignition. With me not knowing mechanic work and such I just sat and stared at the car thinking WTF is happening. So, put a test light to the purple wire coming out of the ignition switch and turned the key....no power. I realized that wire runs back to the solenoid so I knew for some reason I wasent getting power at that purple wire coming out of my ignition switch and that must be my problem.
Well funny how things work. If I didnt switch out my ignition switch I wouldn't have had the old one to examine to realize exactly how it works. I see the rod moving back and fourth on the column and think "is it possible its just not pushing the mechanism far enough to engage the ignition?" So, I loosen up the ignition switch and push the whole switch as far toward the front of the car as I with with sheer force and bolt it back while using pressure...guess what. THE CAR STARTS.
Turns out after days, weeks....god knows how long really of troubleshooting, bring to mechanics, shops, friends, etc... all it was, was the stupid rod wasent moving mechanism enough to engage. Lesson learned and I really really hope this post might help someone if they ever come across a similiar problem, I know I use this forum as my bible and I really want to thank everyone who takes the time to help me out.

Much Love,
Paul
Old 01-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Good job. Persistance pays off. Sometimes it is the small things that take the longest. Look at all you learned along the way.

Quick Reply: A happy post for once from me...