Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stress cracks and other 'newbie' questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:12 PM
craftyguy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stress cracks and other 'newbie' questions

Let me get started by stating that I have never purchased a new/used corvette. I have recently started looking and found a 1977 corvette stingray. The owner claims that the car has stress cracks, but that they are normal with a car of that age. I have never seen a car with stress cracks unless it was somewhat abused, so I dont know how it would apply to a corvette, and if it is something that should deter me from purchasing this corvette.

He is asking 13000 for the car. It has 39000mi on the engine, and he didnt specify how many original miles it has. Does this sound reasonable considering it has stress cracks. I was planning on going to look at the car today, so if anyone has any pointers or other things I should look for that would make or break the deal, please let me know. I am hoping to purchase a corvette that wont turn into a major project (meaning it hopefully will not be in the shop because it's undriveable) for at least a couple of years.

Also, What can I do about checking the history on the car? Most online places (Carfax, etc) will not handle any VIN with less than 17 digits, and this corvette has a VIN# that is 13 digits long.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:28 PM
C3 RV
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

First, welcome!

Don't buy the first vette you look at. There are lots of great cars out there. $13K sounds too much for a 77 with unknown mileage, not original engine, and in need of a paint job (or more).

Keep reading here and you'll get a feel for prices and issues to look out for. Many of these cars need a lot of TLC, but it is possible to find ones that have been treated well and are reliable for weekend drivers. I bought my 81 last fall with 28K miles, original engine, perfect interior, and recent paint job for $13.5K. The only maintenance money I spent this year was an oil and rear diff fluid change.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:47 PM
craftyguy
Cruising

Thanks!

I may be able to get him down quite a bit on this one, I'm just not sure the value I should be shooting for. I found this car on craigslist.org, but from a local individual. I would rather it be local so I can go and check it out for myself. Not a big fan of making purchases from the other side of the country without seeing 1st hand what it is like.

Also, do you have any info on stress cracks and maybe what causes them.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Arcticshark
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by craftyguy
Thanks!

I may be able to get him down quite a bit on this one, I'm just not sure the value I should be shooting for. I found this car on craigslist.org, but from a local individual. I would rather it be local so I can go and check it out for myself. Not a big fan of making purchases from the other side of the country without seeing 1st hand what it is like.

Also, do you have any info on stress cracks and maybe what causes them.
I own a 77 L82 and I love it! BUT.... I would not pay more than 6k tops for a 77 unless it is pristine and numbers matching. Just my 2 cents. p.s. stress cracks around the rear window sails are fairly common.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:38 PM
PizzenEwayMoney
Drifting

RRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put on the brakes.

Dont make the same mistake I did and many others do when buying their first c3. Read past threads and peruse these forums for info for a few months FIRST!!!!!! You are nowhere near ready to buy. If you were you would know that the asking price for that 77 is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy high.

Please dont a mistake and jump the gun. You will be very sorry. These cars are so quirky and have so many proprietary systems that often go bad over time you can spend an arm and a leg in time and money if you dont know what you are doing.

Sit back relax, grab your beverage of choice and read, read, read. When you are finally ready to go looking there are several references with checklists on things to go over on every single system to make sure it is in the condition you are willing to repair or pay for.

Good luck, happy hunting.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:49 PM
craftyguy
Cruising

PizzenEwayMoney,

Can you recommend some good places to start reading? I've been pouring over corvette forums for a couple of days now, and most posts are about problems people are having with their cars. Not much good info on buying them
Old 11-20-2006, 05:59 PM
PizzenEwayMoney
Drifting

Try these for starters

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/buying.html

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/D...00/guide2.html

http://corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part1.htm

http://corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part2.htm

http://corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part3.htm

I would highly reccomend that when you are ready to buy, have another fellow forum member in your area come along with you to show you what to check on these cars. You can repay him/her with beer or money whichever they like better. Personally I like cold beer and wings @ Hooters

I think another good idea for you would be to find some of the threads where people are documenting the restorations they are doing. This will give you a really good break down on where the problem areas are.

Just relax, slow down, no rush.

Last edited by PizzenEwayMoney; 11-20-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:10 PM
craftyguy
Cruising

Thanks! I was starting to feel myself lean towards "buy on impulse"...which never turns out good

I'm in the Portland, OR area. That would be outstanding if there was someone else in this area that would be willing to give me a hand. mmmmmm hooters wings
Old 11-20-2006, 08:34 PM
rotgirl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Vette

Hey CraftGuy,
There are quite a few "deals" out there now since the market is turning towards the buyer. On *BAY there is a '77 10 miles from me that I looked at that you will probably be able to get for around 5K. So keep looking and have patience.
rg
Old 11-20-2006, 08:36 PM
rotgirl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

...and remember that shipping for $800-$1000 on top of a 5-7K car is a much better deal than $13K!
rg
Old 11-20-2006, 08:46 PM
craftyguy
Cruising

rotgirl,
The only problem I have with purchasing a vette (or any other car for that matter) is that I would feel much better about the transaction if I were able to see it in person. I know that there are places that would check it out for me and everything, but that can add up fast if I'm considering 2 or more cars in totally different locations. Thanks for all the replies!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:49 PM
c3srule
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default patience is a virtue....

....and I should know since I've waited almost 3 years to buy a 'Vette - and I'm closing in on spring '07 to make my dream happen. Anyway, I've spent those 3 years being a "sponge" and learning as much as I can about 'Vettes - C3s in particular. I've gone to countless show & shines, talked to lots of owners to get their opinion on the pitfalls, what to look for in a car etc,. been to Corvettes at Carlisle twice ('Vette heaven!!). My point is similar to what other forum members have said here - and that is to take your time, look at lots of cars, check up on resale prices through NADA, monitor asking prices (some great buys out there now), try and find someone who knows these cars well like a local mechanic or a local NCRS judge (i.e. a "trained" eye), develop a good checklist before going out to look at cars so that your heart doesn't make the decision for you - my checklist started at about 30 questions and has grown to just over 100 questions - call me **** but I want to make sure I spend my hard-saved money wisely. Anyway, good luck with your 'Vette search!
Old 11-20-2006, 10:03 PM
craftyguy
Cruising

c3srule-

Would you mind emailing me your list of questions?
It would give me a good place to start
craftyguy@gmail.com
Old 11-20-2006, 10:17 PM
chevy69
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Welcome!!! There is a wealth of knowledge here - If you are patient and ask questions (and even for help) you will come out way ahead.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:20 PM
chevy69
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Forgot to mention - come over to the C3 general section - most folks won't see your post over here.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:31 PM
c3srule
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default checklist

I compiled my list starting from a post I saw on another forum (Corvette Action Center - the URL was posted above by PizzenEwayMoney). I also got a wealth of information and guidance (and more checklist items) from a book I bought titled "Corvette C3 Buyer's Guide 1968 - 1982", author Richard Prince, put out by Motorbooks International. I would highly recommend these 2 sources as good starting points, as well as "mining" the wealth of information stored within these forum pages.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:47 PM
delamorajc
Racer

Default Be educated!!

I recently jumped into a 68 C3 convertable without any knowledge and now that I am in the thick of it I wish I would of read more and looked at more vettes so that I would better understand what I was getting into. I think most of my vette is pieced together the interior is from the 70's the motor is from the mid 60's and it's components stink!. I spent 2,000 buck the first week I owned on a trans re-build and new starter and engine mounts. Since than I've invested in a new exhaust system Hooker Super comp with Jet-Hot coating a Carb with an electronic choke, new wires and plugs + distributor cap. The to do list is long and will prob. take me over several years to complete due to cost and time. So you can see that once in make sure what you are getting a solid hopefully unmolested vehicle.

Best to you.

JC

Get notified of new replies

To Stress cracks and other 'newbie' questions

Old 11-21-2006, 11:19 PM
gsjack
Instructor

Many good things posted already. The 2 things i think are the most important.

1-Never do an impulse buy.

2-Make sure you either hire, or know someone, well knowledged in a C3 to do a pre-purchase inspection with you.

Have owned many C3's in the past 35 years. If you do not know exactly what you are looking at, or for. You can drop a lot of $$ and get burnt quick.

Be patient, find a Vette club in your area. Write them and ask who they know who is a sponge for the year C3 your looking for. The majority of the time, they are more than glad to help out a Vette Brutha.

Jack
Old 11-22-2006, 06:27 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

In your general area....

http://www.corvettetraderonline.com/...ale/l2413.html

http://www.corvettetraderonline.com/...ale/l0872.html

http://www.corvettetraderonline.com/...ale/l1071.html

http://www.corvettetraderonline.com/...ale/l2003.html
Old 11-22-2006, 01:42 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by craftyguy
...I was starting to feel myself lean towards "buy on impulse"...which never turns out good
You are probably correct in most instances, BUT there are exceptions. My '68 convertible winked at me from across a parking lot (the sun glinted off the corner of her bumper and caught my eye). I knew I would buy the car before I ever got across the parking lot and could get out and take a look at her. It's been 22 years now and we're still together.

Quick Reply: Stress cracks and other 'newbie' questions