Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who and where does the TITLE DOCUMENT come from?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Spitfire80
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who and where does the TITLE DOCUMENT come from?

If there's no loan on the vehicle...
If the transaction is a private sale...

Where does the seller gets the TITLE DOCUMENT ?

Making a transaction from Canada. The seller is in Florida.
Been e-mailing with seller and observed very interesting convincing pictures...
I want to make the deal !

I only need to transfer $20,000.00 to his bank account and I have to wait 2-3weeks for transport company to pick it up !
I've got his address, pictures of his house etc....
My CONCERN is : I paid $20,000.00 and don't have the vehicle !
He seems to be very trustworthy and professional BUT SO DOES proffesional FRAUD/SCAM criminals !

Any advice anyone !!!!!

Phil
Old 02-10-2008, 03:59 PM
PizzenEwayMoney
Drifting

What do you mean where does seller get title? Seller is supposed to possess title. If the seller does not have the title then they need to get a replacement title. This can be very quick or take a very long time depending on the documentation they have. If they have the stub receipt off old title then they should be able to get one the same day(I have done this before) Anything other than that and it is going to take a while.

I have a question for you.....What did the seller tell you about the title? If you have paid in full for the vehicle than you should have the title in hand. You do have a receipt or other docs to confirm the transfer right? If you do not have the title or any legal paperwork supporting the reason for your payment i would be chittin bricks right now.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:39 PM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seller has, or should have, a Florida State title, if it's titled in that state. If you're bent on the deal and haven't sent the money yet, put it in an escrow account, have the seller airmail you the title while he call's your bank to verify the funds are in the escrow account. Then when you get the title, release the funds.
If you've already sent the money without arranging some sort of plan as mentioned, yes bricks I'd be droppin' by the pallet full!
Old 02-10-2008, 04:45 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,350 Likes on 2,781 Posts

The title is issued by the state where the car is registered. Some states, like CT, do not issue titles on cars over a certain amount of year old.

It is very possible for the car to not have a title in one of those states. You need to see if FL is one of them. As previously asked, what did the seller tell you? Your post says at one point you "only need to" transfer $, and at another point you say you paid it. Which is it? These are the pitfalls of buying sight unseen, something I would never do under any circumstances.

I bought a car in CT last year by flying out, giving him a deposit after checking the car in person, and having a shipping company pick it up. He did not have a title because CT doesnt issue them. He gave me a full notorized bill of sale and I took all of his ID numbers, etc.

Tell us you didnt just send someone $20k without any documentation.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Spitfire80
Racer

Sorry guys....
French speaking and sometimes the scenario not so obvious to readers...

He resides in Fort Myers area.
Didn't seem to know about the "title document".
I asked him about the above document because US/CAN customs need the apparent document with the original bill of sale. Right ?
If he doesn't have one, where does he go to have one made up? He's the original owner !

Don't forget, I'm 30hrs away. Ottawa, Canada.

No I haven't sent him the $$$$$$$.
The problem is that the vehicle is FOR SALE now and I want him to take it off the market !
Lets say I send him a downpayment, and he agrees to send me the Title and the Bill of Sale. Subsequently the money is wired to his account.
There will be a period of time before the TRANSPORT company picks up my vette.
What if this vehicle disappears ! Never was in my possession !
Only thing I have is documents....
Is there a better safety net here ?

ps. I'm a 18yrs police officer/detective and I've seen scams and frauds !
There are pro's outhere and they are good at it !!!!

Maybe I've seen too much !!!!!!! hehehehe !

Any input or advice ?
Never bought an item that expensive before and it gives me the creeps...

Phil

Last edited by Spitfire80; 02-10-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:01 PM
PizzenEwayMoney
Drifting

Originally Posted by Phil7755
He resides in Fort Myers area.
Didn't seem to know about the "title document".
I asked him about the above document because US/CAN customs need the apparent document with the original bill of sale. Right ?
If he doesn't have one, where does he go to have one made up? He's the original owner !
Phil

Florida Motor Vehicle agency
http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/faqtitle.html

It is the sellers job to do this leg work not yours. Don't let your "drive" to get this car make you overwork or do something stupid.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:14 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Phil,

The first thing I'd do is start a thread here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...aysprune=&f=42

Asking if someone in the Fort Myers area would be willing to go meet the seller, look at the car along with the paperwork to make sure everything is kosher.

I'm not sure about Fl. but in NY until 1973 there were no titles, when selling a vehicle we signed over the transferable registration.

If the seller doesn't have a title ask him to take pictures of both sides of the registration, it will say either transferable or non-transferable on it. If it's non-transferable it has to have a title!

Personally ,I could never buy a vehicle using only pictures and the word of the seller as a judge of condition.

A plane ticket is a very good investment when your looking to spend $20,000 IMHO.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:17 PM
DaveP52462
Advanced

With that kind of money involved I would fly down there and get the title and vehicle and take it to the transport co. yourself. This way you will also get to check out the car also. Don't take a chance with that kind of money. Good luck..
Dave..
Old 02-10-2008, 06:18 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

He's the original owner and he doesn't know what a title is? Uh, no.

He didn't drive it all this time. I understand there is a language barrier, but this story has some holes.

Also, I seriously doubt he will send you a title if you give him a down payment. I sure wouldn't.

I am also a LEO and you should be concerned. International enforcement here could be difficult if he screws you. I'd go see the car in person and take the title in person or I wouldnt do the deal.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Spitfire80
Racer

Default Thanks guys for everything...

Wanta cover my BUTT and my $20,000.00

Phil
Old 02-10-2008, 07:28 PM
jw72
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are to many honest sellers with great cars to mess with people who don't know what a "title Document" is.

RUN!
Old 02-10-2008, 07:45 PM
cdb
Racer

How the hell can he plead ignorance to the title ?

It sounds like he is brokering a car that is not yet his. He collects your $$$ then buys the car from other party, gets a title flipped to his name and then signs it over to you. Otherwise, he should have all the paperwork and he should at least fax copies of them to you. Or even photo the docs and email to you so you can at least view something.

I would have doubts about all of this, and are you OK with dropping 20K on an '82 ? Seems high, but thats off topic.........It was an '82 right? If not then I will stand corrected................
Old 02-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Spitfire80
Racer

Default keep 'em comin !

The seller is the original owner.
He has sent me via e-mail a scanned picture of the Original Bill of Sale ...
I requested him some closeup photos.
He went out in his garage, took them and within minutes, they were sent to me...

The pictures are FRESH taken minutes ago from is garage...
The guy really wants to sell it and seems honest...

I'm just scared of wiring 20K and being w/o original documents.
The vehicle would be picked up weeks after that...

He advised that once he's got the 20k, he would fax me the Bill of Sale and Title document

Phil
Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 PM
cdb
Racer

Originally Posted by Phil7755
The seller is the original owner.
He has sent me via e-mail a scanned picture of the Original Bill of Sale ...
I requested him some closeup photos.
He went out in his garage, took them and within minutes, they were sent to me...

The pictures are FRESH taken minutes ago from is garage...
The guy really wants to sell it and seems honest...

I'm just scared of wiring 20K and being w/o original documents.
The vehicle would be picked up weeks after that...

He advised that once he's got the 20k, he would fax me the Bill of Sale and Title document

Phil
OK after this post it does seem that the owner now acknowledges that there is a title, correct ? Thats fine, but one of the previous posters made a good point, maybe ask a forum member near Ft Myers area to have a look in person. I think at the very least I would do this considering the amount of money involved.

Last edited by cdb; 02-10-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:06 PM
vette blue
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bank could be holding the title if there is a lean on it. At the very least an iron clad contract and a copy of the title endorsed to you if you feel he is trustworthy. Jet blue has cheap flights from Plattsburgh, you'll sleep better going out to see it.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Barry O
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Florida is a title state. If he is in Fort Myers, that is Lee County, I think. Here is the number for Motor Vehicle in Collier County the next county over, (239) 774-8177. They can tell you what you need to know. You may want to contact them with the VIN number and see if it matches the guy selling. All sounds pretty fishy to me. Good luck
Old 02-10-2008, 09:49 PM
marz
Burning Brakes

I bought a car from someone in Florida too. It took some time to get the car and even longer to get the title. The car arrives...not the car in the pics...different motor, tranny, etc. I called him once and then Voila...telephone has been disconnected. I didn't spend that much, but $20K wired to someone with no verification is just crazy.

Last edited by marz; 02-10-2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Who and where does the TITLE DOCUMENT come from?

Old 02-10-2008, 10:22 PM
PizzenEwayMoney
Drifting

Default IT is $20,000 Dollars!!!!!!

Pick a day you have off, fly down exchange funds, take title and sale paperwork have a drink and fly back home. Is peace of mind not worth a few hundred extra for you?

Last edited by PizzenEwayMoney; 02-10-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:26 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

There is no reason, NONE, to not spend $400 on a plane ticket before you spend $20k. If you get screwed, it is totally your fault.

And... I just saw this on another post... it's not REALLY an '82, is it?

I have a bridge to sell you, man.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Dr Wall
Advanced

Default Fishy

Phil, my Canadian Brother........like I said you should just buy my 81. I don't like the ignorance about title either.
I bought my 67 from California and had it shipped up. The US customs need to have a copy of the bill of sale and the title for at least 48 hours prior to your car crossing. You need to let them know when the car is coming and who the transport company is and broker if you are using one.
You can save yourself brokerage fees if you go to the border and pick up your car yourself and drive it across to the Canadian side.
Buying sight unseen is pretty scary. I agree with the other members that it is a pretty cheap investment to go check the car out for yourself.....after all you'll have it for a long time.....take a vacation.......Florida's gotta have better weather than Ottawa now.
Good luck with the 82..........but remember the 81 4 speed with 22851 original kms....no title issues guaranteed.

Walter

Quick Reply: Who and where does the TITLE DOCUMENT come from?