Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 vert - what's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:17 AM
mwier76
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 69 vert - what's it worth?

Hi all -

I looked at a 69 convertible last week in Michigan. Car was base 350 with a 4-spd #'s match. Correct paint Riverside Gold and Black leather interior. Interior was all there just needed new carpet and a good cleanup. Radio was not original but they didn't cut the dash at all. PS and PB no A/C.

Frame was in great shape with only a little surface rust on the front support. Body lines and gaps were all good. Last tags on the plate were '86 and it had been stored in a garage. 75k miles second owner (no documentation). Paint was 5/10 and would need to be redone. Chrome in front looked okay but back would need to be redone. The guy told me the radiator had a leak in it. I think it would need suspension redone, new brakes all around, exhaust, suspension, etc. The top was in okay shape - I would probably replace it.

Thing is, I couldn't get it running. The gas in the tank looked like mud (would need new gas tank). When we charged the battery all the electrical worked and the starter chugged but it wouldn't turn over. I tried to crank it by hand but couldn't get the fan to move.

So...I didn't bid on it on ebay but the guy called me this morning and told me he'd give it to me for $12k. Not knowing that it runs (he says it did before he put it away) what do you think it would be worth? Sorry I don't have any pics. I'm up for a challenge and looking for something to rebuild, just don't want to pay too much on the front end.

I have a '74 now that is getting a new front and rear bumper and paint this week and then I'll probably sell that if I do end up buying this.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Sitting in a garage for 23 years, and the gas looks like mud? Please tell me you didn't try to start the engine with that gas.

You said "When we charged the battery all the electrical worked and the starter chugged but it wouldn't turn over. I tried to crank it by hand but couldn't get the fan to move."

This is unclear to me. Did the crank turn or not? Saying the starter "chugged" implies to me that it did, but you also say it "wouldn't turn over". Some people say "wouldn't turn over" when they mean it wouldn't fire.

This one is a tough one to value. Bad paint, and mechanically needing pretty much everything. '69 4 spd vert is a nice car though. $12K seems like a lot, given the mechanical condition. I'd be thinking more in the $6-$8 range if the frame, birdcage and body are really right, and you better love this one even at that level. I'm guessing your in for $15K or more in paint and parts to get this car back right, plus oodles of your time, for something that will be worth low $20s when you are done.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:07 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by mwier76
Hi all -

I looked at a 69 convertible last week in Michigan. Car was base 350 with a 4-spd #'s match. Correct paint Riverside Gold and Black leather interior. Interior was all there just needed new carpet and a good cleanup. Radio was not original but they didn't cut the dash at all. PS and PB no A/C.

Frame was in great shape with only a little surface rust on the front support. Body lines and gaps were all good. Last tags on the plate were '86 and it had been stored in a garage. 75k miles second owner (no documentation). Paint was 5/10 and would need to be redone. Chrome in front looked okay but back would need to be redone. The guy told me the radiator had a leak in it. I think it would need suspension redone, new brakes all around, exhaust, suspension, etc. The top was in okay shape - I would probably replace it.

Thing is, I couldn't get it running. The gas in the tank looked like mud (would need new gas tank). When we charged the battery all the electrical worked and the starter chugged but it wouldn't turn over. I tried to crank it by hand but couldn't get the fan to move.

So...I didn't bid on it on ebay but the guy called me this morning and told me he'd give it to me for $12k. Not knowing that it runs (he says it did before he put it away) what do you think it would be worth? Sorry I don't have any pics. I'm up for a challenge and looking for something to rebuild, just don't want to pay too much on the front end.

I have a '74 now that is getting a new front and rear bumper and paint this week and then I'll probably sell that if I do end up buying this.

The right year, color, interior color (like mine )
BUY IT.........for 10k
Old 08-03-2009, 02:36 PM
mwier76
Advanced

Default Pics

Here is the link from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...=p4506.c0.m245

Old 08-03-2009, 05:27 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Every dollar you put into a numbers-matching '69 roadster is a much better idea than any dollars you are currently putting into a '74.

Buy the car as cheaply as possible and get it done.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

yes if the metal is good, paint, interior, rubber, exhaust, brakes, tank, all lines, hoses etc...then the mechanicals ( mainly engine ) will put you underwater... but you will not be to far underwater. and you will be saving a 69 convertible... looks like bidding ended at 12 so I will take that much at least.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 PM
wer2xu
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

does his garage have a roof? That car has been outside for a while...that being said, if you do most of the work yourself, and leave the paint for about 10 years from now, I would buy it at 10K.

if you get just take a rollback and take it home...dont try to start that thing again...I bet the stuff in the gas tank is rusty water....not rusty gasoline.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

That car is a complete and total restoration. You are looking at several thousand get to get is running and driving properly if the engine can be saved, which it doesn't sound like it can. A decent paint job will run you 3k minimum.

Seems like a decent car on the surface but once you run the numbers you start to get real deep real quick.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:56 PM
68 l79
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Every dollar you put into a numbers-matching '69 roadster is a much better idea than any dollars you are currently putting into a '74.

Buy the car as cheaply as possible and get it done.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:54 AM
skylarkul
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Your 74

Tell us about your 74 and what you would want for it.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:36 AM
mwier76
Advanced

Default 74

74 is a red/black leather 4-spd l48. 115k miles. Runs and drives great. It was a california car - zero rust on the frame. Both the front and rear urethane bumpers were cracked when I bought it. I have new ones and will be installing them and getting it to the paint shop in the next few weeks. Tach/speedo need to be fixed. Window motors work but are very weak and need to be repaired. Interior is in pretty decent shape with new carpet. A/C is still on the car but doesn't work. I put new rear rotors, calipers, pads, and shocks on it. Great car, but I like the 68-72's better. I'll snap a few pics tonight. Looking in the $10-11k range.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:25 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by mwier76
74 is a red/black leather 4-spd l48. 115k miles. Runs and drives great. It was a california car - zero rust on the frame. Both the front and rear urethane bumpers were cracked when I bought it. I have new ones and will be installing them and getting it to the paint shop in the next few weeks. Tach/speedo need to be fixed. Window motors work but are very weak and need to be repaired. Interior is in pretty decent shape with new carpet. A/C is still on the car but doesn't work. I put new rear rotors, calipers, pads, and shocks on it. Great car, but I like the 68-72's better. I'll snap a few pics tonight. Looking in the $10-11k range.
Telling us whether the engine numbers match and if its a coupe or convertible will go a long way to establishing an actual value. Also the original color.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:44 AM
mwier76
Advanced

It is a numbers matching coupe. Original color millie miglia red and correct interior black leather. Didn't get home in time last night to snap pics.

Get notified of new replies

To 69 vert - what's it worth?

Quick Reply: 69 vert - what's it worth?