Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS Red Bastardized '81 (Worth a look no smog!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS Red Bastardized '81 (Worth a look no smog!)

Alright so it's here in sunny San Diego.

So this one does NOT have to smog. It has historical vehicle plates and has been granted exemption status. My last two renewal notices did not require smog, just to give you an idea. The first one asked for a smog cert, but a "quick trip" to the DMV fixed that so they don't ask any more. The title is permanent and transfers. If you're from out of state, such as Arizona or Nevada, they also have means to register it without needing smog.

Information as to what I've had done to it (I stopped doing my own work a couple of years ago so all work was done by Top Flight Corvette):

Engine remanufactured back in 2004 with stock top end but slightly higher compression pistons.
Vortec heads
Summit 1103 Cam
Non-computerized Distributor with a new ignition module (Professional Products dizzy possibly, been a few years since I acquired it new)
Edelbrock vortec, spreadbore, intake manifold copy (I think it was made by professional products or something)
Edelbrock 1904 Q-jet with passenger car metering rods (none of those fat M truck rods)
Summit long tube headers
Shorty spark plugs to accomodate the headers (I kept burning a plug's boot, fixed now)
Northern Factory aluminum radiator 5066 (these are MADE for Corvettes, no mods were needed for it)
Power steering is mostly new
Fuel pump is new
Master cylinder and vacuum booster are only two years old
2 of the calipers have been replaced with stainless steel sleeved calipers, the other two are still working fine. Both replaced are on the passenger side.
Motor mounts and transmission mount are new polyurethane mounts
Front suspension was rebuilt with polyurethane, instead of rubber
Front shocks are KYB Gas-a-justs
Rear are Gabriel Ultra Gas shocks
Rear spring is the stock steel 9 leaf
Front springs are the stock 550 lb. coils
This came with the Gymkhana suspension so it has the sway bars (1 1/4" or 1 1/8" in the front and 3/8" in the rear, if I recall)
It's currently fitted with 275-40-17 Toyo Proxes 4s with plenty of tread on 17" Cragar soft black 8s 17x9s
The passenger side rear wheel bearing is a VanSteel replacement, the others haven't had any problems or shown any problems
The weatherstripping is ALL new, including under the hood
Paint... It could use a new paint job, but it looks OK as is. It still shines and looks great from 5+ feet, though
Sidepipes are custom made with glasspacks, so they're not obnoxious. They're welded to the bottom of the frame, under the doors. Careful with ankles on the chrome tips!
Ground clearance isn't actually too bad with them, either. If you lower it or stick on bigger pipes you're probably going to hate speedbumps and dips, though.
Pioneer front speakers and Kenwood rears
Sony MP3/CD player with front aux in (It fits so nice it almost looks like it came with it)
Duralast gold battery
New fusible link (I cooked one trying to jump start a car once)
New Alternator (cooked that at the same time!)
New starter solenoid (spilled oil on the old one and it shorted out after awhile)

I've driven it almost daily for the last 5 years. It has around 120k miles on it, I'd say. Cooked the speedo cable a couple of times from me being a retard and hooking it up improperly. Like I said, I stopped doing my own work on it two years ago.

Suggested work:
Re-seal the rear end and transmission, they're not going to die any time soon but I suggest it.
Interior... It's old and faded. Cloth is torn on the seats, has seat covers currently.
Doors... The window motors and such could use a good refreshing. They currently work, but they're old and slow in one direction and faster in the other. (Passenger goes up fast, down slow. Driver's side down fast, up slow.)
Oil temperature guage isn't currently hooked up, all of the others are, though.
Computer isn't hooked up, obviously, if you want that stuff working again... Have fun!

I'll put a pic up when I get home. I want the new Camaro and don't want two cars right now.

Here's a semi-recent picture, though.

You can contact me through the forums here and I'll check often.

I believe my IM contacts are in my profile, on here, too. If you want to IM me.

It's currently insured for $7,000. Get in touch with me, if you're interested.

Remember, in California this one DOES NOT have to smog. So if you want a late model C3 to modify in CA, this is a good 'un.

Oh, I have the original wheels still. If you want them.

Last edited by Kalway; 10-26-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for good measure.

If you're wanting a project car, this has a lot of your work done for ya.
If you're wanting a daily driver, it can be made in to one. I currently drive it every day.
If you want a race car... It can do that too.
I wouldn't enter it in any NCRS competitions, though.

Quick Reply: FS Red Bastardized '81 (Worth a look no smog!)