Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: [VA] Salvage Title 1974 Yellow L48 Coupe Auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 10:56 PM
loquinho
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default [VA] Salvage Title 1974 Yellow L48 Coupe Auto

This listing is a follow up to this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...y-the-end.html

If you want all the details on the accident, that's the place to go. I had the car inspected by both a classic car insurance adjuster and a mechanic that specializes in classic Corvettes, and both told me the same thing: It was just enough damage to tweak the suspension and possibly the frame in the front driver's corner of the car.

I had the shop run a full estimate for the insurance company to bring the car back to beautiful, and it came in over 2K above what I had the car insured for. After speaking to a lot of classic car guys and people savvy with insurance, in the end it didn't make any sense for me to get it repaired. I took a total and received a salvage title for the vehicle. After 16 years of ownership and love, my corvette and I have to part ways.

My loss could be your gain. All the damage is confined to the front driver's quarter of the car, so 90% of it is in good shape. It's a perfect car for donor parts, or to restore if you want to tackle it. With the salvage title you'll have to decide if it's worth it for you. If you're using it for parts, it's a GREAT donor car to make your corvette, that's beginning showing its age, a lot nicer. Here is a list of new parts that could be easily salvaged - note, I'm not selling these parts individually, I'm just explaining what's on the car and what I paid for them so you know what your'e getting.
  • Borgeson Steering Kit - $650. I installed this in 2017 - it has less than 100 miles on it. I checked the car, and it's outside the area of damage - so good as new. This was a massive improvement to the steering system. It steers tight and drives true and improves the car's handling immensely. It's a fairly straightforward replacement - installed it in an afternoon. Actually, I installed it twice, since the first one had a factory problem.
  • Magnaflow Exhaust - $340. I installed this in 2015, so it has 300 miles on it or so. It's the 2 1/2" system and sounds great.
  • Mickey Thompson Tires - $590. Good looking white-letter tires with good reviews. They were replacements for my Firehawks back in late 2015. About 200 miles on those so far.
  • New calipers, master cylinder, and power booster - $400. I did this back in 2013, but the brakes still have well under 1K miles on them.
  • Lars Rebuilt Carb - $200. I had no idea how bad my QuadraJet was until Lars fixed it all for me back in 2013. To be honest, if you don't need this I'd love to keep it for whenever I manage to get another corvette.
  • New Radiator - $400. Also replaced this in 2013.
  • New Interior - This was done back in 2004, but I've babied the car and it's been kept under roof or cover, so the replacement parts are still in almost new condition. New carpet ($300), leather seats ($750) and new seat backs ($100), new deluxe door panels ($900). Total value is around $2,000.
  • Rebuilt transmission - this was done in 2004 as a gift from my dad. I don't know the details of it, so I'm not putting a price on it, but it only has a few thousand miles on it.
There's other various stuff I've done, but a new timing chain or rear transmission mount aren't exactly big selling points. Just the parts priced above come to $4,500 when new, but obviously the items are not all new. I understand there's some depreciation involved, and the time for you to pull the parts one you get the car.

Then of course, there's the rest of the car - wheels, glass, doors, trim, everything else in the engine bay, lights, rest of the interior, etc. The car was in really good shape for a driver.

I want to sell car in its entirety - for now I'm not interested in parting it out, because I'm at a busy point in my life and won't have the weekends available to pull parts. If you want to do a good refresh on your existing corvette, and put in a new interior, steering, exhaust, and tires, this would be a good choice for you.

Price is $4,000 OBO, local pickup only. Car is located at Collision One in Mechanicsville, VA. I can meet you out there if you want to check it out in person. Zip Corvette is right down the street if you want to make the most of your trip.

All the photos below are from a visit I made to visit the car at Collision One on Aug 28th. The car has been sitting under cover since its accident in April. Obviously the car hasn't been cleaned (in fact it's still full of pieces of the body) so for other photos of the vehicle in better times, you can search for other threads by me. I also have the estimate from Collision One - PM me if you want to see a copy of it.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:21 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I realize you're trying to sell the car, but if it comes down to parting it out, I'd be interested in the carb and possibly the borgeson box. Good luck with selling it, and hopefully it will work out as well as possible for you.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:24 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Pm sent.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:56 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Any part is 4k, comes with a free car.
Looks salvageable to me ,how bad could it be for someone with the ability to fix it?
Old 10-10-2018, 03:22 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi, I sent some pms, I am very interested if you are still selling. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2018, 05:20 PM
loquinho
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys, I wanted to apologize to all of you that have been PMing me over the last couple months. The car has sold to a forum member and is off to its childhood home of California. It might be rebuilt, or it might become a parts car, but as of a few weeks ago, it no longer my decision. Thank you all for your interest. I really hope I get to enter back into the fold of Corvette owners someday.

Get notified of new replies

To [VA] Salvage Title 1974 Yellow L48 Coupe Auto

Quick Reply: FS: [VA] Salvage Title 1974 Yellow L48 Coupe Auto