Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 1970 Corvette Coupe Restomod 435+hp 4-speed, side pipes, black

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 11:09 PM
Double_take
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Default 1970 Corvette Coupe Restomod 435+hp 4-speed, side pipes, black

SOLD!!!

I present my 1970 corvette coup restomod/outlaw with 435+ HP GM SP383 crate motor, Holley Sniper fuel injection, M20 muncie 4-speed, and fully upgraded suspension.

Asking $59,900 Located in Boulder Colorado

Name:  sJB5dUd.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  3.89 MB

Name:  c4bvXjE.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  3.77 MB

Name:  8ulGEsu.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  3.84 MB

Name:  BHcA53X.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  3.38 MB

Name:  OkGyymx.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  2.71 MB

Name:  SYF4jYa.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  3.09 MB

Before I discuss the significant upgrades intended to improve the drivability and enjoyment behind the wheel, it’s important to understand the project started with a very complete small block 4-speed coupe needing paint, and the second engine had drank coolant into the oil. All of the 1970 corvette specific parts like lenses, side gills, and ultra rare front grills are original and in great better than driver condition. All of the body panels including hood and T-tops are original and fit perfectly. Most of the interior is original or replacement from a reputable repo shop. The chassis shows no signs of damage or a crash, the minimal surface rust has been banished using POR15 converter and paint. I have the original tilt/tele column freshly rebuilt, but not installed. The entire wiper door and headlight systems are in place and restored original parts. I even have the build sheet, however its difficult to read.

This is a long way of saying it wasn’t a basket case or a rusting wreck brought back to life.

On to the fun bits. My goal was to create a period looking custom corvette and upgrade all of the ancient tech for a significantly improved ride and reliability. Every inch of drive train and suspension/steering is upgraded.

Engine: GM SP-383 435 hp rated crate motor. Looks like a small block, but this 6.3L motor is an LS in disguise. Topped by an Edelbrock air gap intake and a Holley Sniper EFI carb setup and custom L88 style ram air intake. Dynod at 355 HP at the wheels in Denver CO (altitude causes 15% reduction on top of drive train losses), immediately after install so no optimizing. An MSD 6AL box, hidden behind the driver’s side side gill, and Blaster SS coil handle ignition. Exhaust escapes through hooker style stainless steel side pipes with 1 7/8” mains and gently muffled by STS baffles. The sound is out of this world and ear plugs are strongly encouraged. Finally, its fed by an Aeromotive in tank fuel pump and braided lines from the tank and return. Engine has about 500 miles on it and was broken in carefully.

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...s/sp383-deluxe

Behind the 383 is a 11” McLeod clutch, steel flywheel, and rebuilt muncie M20 4-speed with a Hurst shifter and period Hurst shifter ball. Connecting the M20 to the diff is a custom steel 3” OD drive shaft with HD spicer joints. The rebuilt diff is stuffed with brand new 3.73 gears. Work performed by a highly reputable shop, I have receipt and images of the wipe pattern. The drive shafts also received HD spicer joints and connect to the original steel wheels through rebuilt trailing arms, no offset.

Rear tires are 255 Mickey Thompson Drag Radials which perfectly fill the rear fender. Front tires are the matching MT 10” Sportsman S/R fronts. The PO2 hub caps are original corvette pieces, but not original to this car. They perfectly set the look of the car and I get compliments every where I go.

Front and rear suspension has been completely upgraded.

Front is a VB&P adjustable transverse composite spring with upper and lower tubular steel A arms and stiffened by a bolt in spreader bar. Damping is handled by QA01 shocks designed for this setup.

Rear is a 360 VB&P composite spring, Bilstein shocks, new lower camber rods and center mount.

Brakes are rebuilt sleeved calipers, new rotors, and hawk pads. Front lines are 100% new including braided steel flex lines, rear flex lines are also new braided steel.

The original steering rack was removed and a Bergosen box installed. This completely changes the steering feel, dynamics, and control vs the ram system.

Electrical: The alternator was upgraded to a Cadillac CS144 to handle the extra draw of the EFI and Mark VIII electric fan. The -0 gage power line from the alternator to the starter and the heavy duty fuses/relays for the fan and to protect the battery (instead of fuse-able link) should give an idea of the level of detail in the wiring. The factory harness is still mostly intact.

The interior has also seen upgrades. First, the tachometer was swapped with a 1975 electric version so it looks stock, but works flawlessly with the EFI. The rear of the car was stiffened by a Shark Bar Harness bar which are now discontinued. This allows the 5 point shoulder harnesses and connects through the factory seatbelt mounting points. The steering wheel is a 14” wood version which looks prefect peaking above the side window sill. The fiberoptics work along with all of the gauges. The radio, HVAC, and lighter areas have been blocked off. The entire heater core has been removed from the car. The passenger side footwell houses a fire extinguisher. I have a brand new Al Knoch carpet set Ill include in the sale.

The body was stripped to bare fiberglass using a razor blade and small batches of fiberglass paint remover. Headlight mounting bar was replaced, rear exhaust exits closed, and antenna deleted before being painted in 1970 chevy black two stage paint. The bumpers are all original to the car and rechromed to show quality.

Full disclosure section:

I have the following parts which are not installed:

Complete power window assemblies including original glass are out of the car. I always had the windows down so not worth adding the weight. Includes new rollers, bumpers and other hardware. Regulators both work.

Rear window weather stripping is not installed, will be included with sale. Again I dont use the windows. The rear window tray is in the car and intact.

The original Tilt/tele steering column was rebuilt but not installed. The standard one works for me. Installing the tilt/tele is a two person job and Im happy to help the new owner make the swap before taking the car.

Headlight vacuum system has all new lines and diaphragms are good. Still can be a little stubborn. I have propped them open the few times Ive needed the lights. Wiper system is complete, but is intentionally not operating. No need for wipers with no windows. This is a good time to say its never seen water or rain.

Windshield surround has rust, but below the body line is 100% fine. The windshield and T top trim is all original, looks good for its age, but is not new.

Passenger T top has a small hole. Don’t ask. It can be repaired and repainted if desired. A sticker works for me.

Speedometer is still geared for 3.55 gears vs the 3.73.

The clock reset **** spins freely, however the clock keeps good time.

Im sure I forgot some details. I have at least $45K in receipts for parts, paint, and component rebuilds, not including the car. It starts up every time and drives unlike any other C3 corvette out there. The combo of big power with the small block makes for a more agile car than a big block and will beat any stock big block in a straight line. I think the car weighs less than 3000 lbs but I’ve never had it weighed. Will include high quality indoor car cover and all extra parts.

Everything you want done to a car like this is done, time to enjoy it. Im more of a build it and look at it type, time for someone to enjoy the car at its limits, the way it was built for.

Im happy to facetime, discuss on the phone, or take more photos of anything specific. I have experience shipping cars and can help facilitate and get quotes. The car is reliable enough to drive anywhere, however due to practical concerns like side pipe noise, 3.73 gears, and lack of side windows I highly suggest only planning to drive it within Colorado, shipping or a trailer is highly encouraged.

Album in first post....

Last edited by Double_take; 08-23-2022 at 07:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikeski (08-08-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 11:20 PM
Double_take
Racer

Name:  j1qOGzf.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  2.70 MB

Name:  KGTXKaC.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  3.73 MB

Name:  AqlnD0a.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  2.37 MB

Name:  ceypHAG.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  2.92 MB

Name:  HC4WFMG.jpg
Size:  3.02 MB

Name:  zkM7Q5e.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  3.05 MB

Name:  g9QCsmT.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  2.67 MB

Name:  Pha77WD.jpg
Size:  2.72 MB

Name:  xPb4fMC.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  2.79 MB

Name:  FYkOfB1.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  2.86 MB

Name:  8VSifaU.jpg
Size:  2.76 MB

Name:  BNZiFc8.jpg
Size:  2.98 MB

Name:  nyCvTaJ.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  3.43 MB

Name:  ely7W9d.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  2.03 MB

Name:  fLAUnFH.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  2.31 MB

Name:  kguh3BK.jpg
Size:  2.54 MB

Name:  btpGyph.jpg
Size:  3.17 MB

Name:  25c5zy1.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  1.93 MB
Name:  W3WOuhb.jpg
Size:  3.54 MB

Name:  DNb3UCo.jpg
Size:  3.15 MB

Name:  sDltU1T.jpg
Size:  2.44 MB

Name:  ah7leqc.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  2.67 MB

Name:  ZYGsMlN.jpg
Size:  2.95 MB

Name:  u2rje6n.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  2.82 MB

Name:  IsAbXWP.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  2.49 MB

Name:  6xK7LEU.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  2.76 MB

Name:  zEA2mJe.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  2.01 MB

Name:  bkXMVWz.jpg
Size:  2.07 MB

Name:  VuFSGMg.jpg
Size:  3.50 MB
Old 06-16-2022, 02:40 PM
Double_take
Racer

Thanks.

It is the same displacement has an LS2/3 with similar power numbers and factory reliability without having to redo a few systems to work with this car.

Here is more information about the engine.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/te...t-performance/

This engine definitely exceeded our expectations—check out the numbers. Advertised to make 435 hp, the SP383 saw those numbers and raised them by another 11 hp. Peak torque was a bit more than advertised, too, as this engine twisted out nearly 450 lb-ft on Westech's dyno. Even better, look how flat the torque curve is. This is a great combination for a hot street machine
The following users liked this post:
BKbroiler (06-17-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 03:36 PM
Double_take
Racer

Bump. Open to offers.
Old 07-15-2022, 04:39 PM
Double_take
Racer

Weekend bump. Open to offers.
Old 07-15-2022, 09:12 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 601 Likes on 317 Posts

Wow, what a car! I'll bet it is a blast to drive. Unusual choice of wheels for a resto mod though. A lot better than some hoopty clown shoe wheels and rubber band tires though. GLWS
Old 07-24-2022, 12:42 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Some Serious Bling. You have Really spent some time and $$$$$$ on her.

Nice ride-
Old 08-06-2022, 05:03 PM
Double_take
Racer

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage
Wow, what a car! I'll bet it is a blast to drive. Unusual choice of wheels for a resto mod though. A lot better than some hoopty clown shoe wheels and rubber band tires though. GLWS
Thanks! Think of these wheels as the cruise and show wheels. I always planned for a set of 17's with sticky rubber for auto cross or non-straight track days.

Originally Posted by Alwyn678
Some Serious Bling. You have Really spent some time and $$$$$$ on her.

Nice ride-
Thanks. I built it for myself and spared no expense. Its a beast to drive and handles really well.

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 Corvette Coupe Restomod 435+hp 4-speed, side pipes, black

Quick Reply: FS: 1970 Corvette Coupe Restomod 435+hp 4-speed, side pipes, black