Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOLD : 1970 LS5 454 8,913 Original Miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 10:24 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by piste
Interesting and beautiful car. My comments here are not meant to be critical nor show what I know. But rather to further my budding education.

Generally what was the mileage accumulation over 53 years? Been driven much in the last say 20 years.

Bellhousing - thought these were natural not painted orange...at least in 69s?

heat shields - why were they removed?

SMOG system - completely missing; does it come with the car?

Wiring - I would give it all a good hard look being 53 years old. Not saying it NEEDS replaced but.

And unless all serviceable things have been maintained it will indeed need a "soft" restoration...meaning just about anything rubber should be considered for replacement. There are infinite degrees of "restoration" from extremely minimal to basically rebuilding the entire car. i personally would take a minimalist approach but also believe CorvettePassion knows what he is talking about.
My '71 LS5 bellhousing came painted from the factory.
No smog pump on 1970 LS5's.

Old 03-11-2023, 12:45 PM
piste
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
My '71 LS5 bellhousing came painted from the factory.
No smog pump on 1970 LS5's.
Thanks for the response and info.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:53 PM
vettco
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

One of the best places to sharpen your knowledge is to study original cars than have not seen many paws. The next best way is to purchase a ncrs JRM for your specific year and read it over and over.
Lastly latch onto one of the senior team members and don’t let go, because that’s where you learn the most.

All of your questions are answered in the JRM..

Good luck
Rob

Interesting and beautiful car. My comments here are not meant to be critical nor show what I know. But rather to further my budding education.

Generally what was the mileage accumulation over 53 years? Been driven much in the last say 20 years.

Wiring - I would give it all a good hard look being 53 years old. Not saying it NEEDS replaced but.

And unless all serviceable things have been maintained it will indeed need a "soft" restoration...meaning just about anything rubber should be considered for replacement. There are infinite degrees of "restoration" from extremely minimal to basically rebuilding the entire car. i personally would take a minimalist approach but also believe CorvettePassion knows what he is talking about.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:33 PM
DKM-106
Melting Slicks

Received 708 Likes on 429 Posts

The bellhousings on 69's did have orange paint present from the factory.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:36 AM
piste
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vettco
One of the best places to sharpen your knowledge is to study original cars than have not seen many paws. The next best way is to purchase a ncrs JRM for your specific year and read it over and over.
Lastly latch onto one of the senior team members and don’t let go, because that’s where you learn the most.

All of your questions are answered in the JRM..

Good luck
Rob
I have to presume you meant the TIM&JG which is THE single most valuable restoration reference guide by far. The JRM is very poorly written and completely worthless in comparison.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:12 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,053 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Note that post #1 has been amended to show SOLD. Congratulations on the sale of a great car. I certainly hope no one restores this original example.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:19 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,712 Likes on 1,425 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Chris Hewitt
Passion you’re trolling right?
If it were me, I’d get the truckload of awards, then drive it sparingly. Do the brakes, put some radials on it, remove the original exhaust for preservation, and call it a day.
I actually don't even know what trolling means....but I will refrain from saying any more.

I know people value originality, and that its a "thing"......but brittle wiring harnesses / deteriorating rubber parts, 40 years of moisture / corrosion, and general neglect all does damage....no matter how "original" or special or whatever investment value involved. But... it makes no differenence if the car is just going to be a garage museum piece as many of these are. And.I know many buy these cars for these very reasons......but thats not me,....they are too fun to drive. This care to me would be no more special or less special than any other C3 Corvette. And if you are going to really driving them, like I do, ......car needs restored....FACT, .or its just one problem, one fire, one frustration at a time.

I also am curious as to why my 77, complete body off restoration, is somehow less worthy, when for me,..its a beautiful car in the long line of beautiful cars....and 90% the same as any other C3.....but it gets no respect. Yeah.....I know...no chrome bumpers, and nobody likes them. Thats what I have to put up hearing / reading all the time.

Thats enough from me guys....and nobody asked me anyways. Sorry to interrupt. I know my viewpoint is not popular on this subject. Enough said....sorry. If it offends you guys....I can delete my posts.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 03-12-2023 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:54 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,053 Likes on 1,935 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by CorvettePassion
I actually don't even know what trolling means....but I will refrain from saying any more.

I know people value originality, and that its a "thing"......but brittle wiring harnesses / deteriorating rubber parts, 40 years of moisture / corrosion, and general neglect all does damage....no matter how "original" or special or whatever investment value involved. But... it makes no differenence if the car is just going to be a garage museum piece as many of these are. And.I know many buy these cars for these very reasons......but thats not me,....they are too fun to drive. This care to me would be no more special or less special than any other C3 Corvette. And if you are going to really driving them, like I do, ......car needs restored....FACT, .or its just one problem, one fire, one frustration at a time.

I also am curious as to why my 77, complete body off restoration, is somehow less worthy, when for me,..its a beautiful car in the long line of beautiful cars....and 90% the same as any other C3.....but it gets no respect. Yeah.....I know...no chrome bumpers, and nobody likes them. Thats what I have to put up hearing / reading all the time.

Thats enough from me guys....and nobody asked me anyways. Sorry to interrupt. I know my viewpoint is not popular on this subject. Enough said....sorry. If it offends you guys....I can delete my posts.
I am in agreement with driving these car and if I were to buy this car that is what I would do. However I would take lots of detailed pictures for the hobby first to show what these cars really looked like when they were new. As I said previously no need to restore it. Most of the things you mention you think it would need will be taken care of by simply changing the fluids I recommended. I have a 1965 80k mile Corvette that has the original wiring harness that I can find NOTHING wrong with and have no intentions of replacing just as this subject car likely has. Regarding the rubber components if they are still subtle I would not replace them as the old rubber is MUCH better then the new replacement rubber even if made in America.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:44 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,045 Likes on 2,912 Posts

Questions:

What was the asking price?
Was it a 4-speed?
Did it have air-conditioning?

Thank you!

(A military academy classmate from college is looking for a car like this.)

Quick Reply: SOLD : 1970 LS5 454 8,913 Original Miles