Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Low Tire Pressure Warning System message on dash (LTPWS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Tigerhawk
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low Tire Pressure Warning System message on dash (LTPWS)

How do I make this turn off. Tires are not low!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Mark_Sheehy
Racer

Is it the "Service LTPWS" light or the low pressure light? I have a bad sensor on mine so I get the service light. I have one of those clear logo panels over the idiot light screen (89 digital dash), so I just put a piece of electrical tape over that part of the screen and put the plate back on so it doesn't bug me since I check the pressure in the tires fairly often. The fuse for the system also has the cruise control on it, so if you remove it that won't work either.

If it is the low pressure light, you must have a bad sensor.

I think from 91 and up you can actually tell which one is bad with a trouble code.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:34 PM
RED95CONVLUVER
Instructor

Check your trouble codes... my light was on... my codes showed 3 bad tire sensers.. i bought some used ones off ebay(each wheel is different) and replaced them, reset the codes and everything was fine
Old 03-09-2005, 01:02 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Originally Posted by Mark_Sheehy
The fuse for the system also has the cruise control on it, so if you remove it that won't work either.
Well hell I wish I would have thought of that... I don't use my cruise anyway. I'm glad I read this thread
Old 03-09-2005, 03:43 PM
dnut24
Racer

the tire sensors are on the wheels? i'm getting ready to put some new wheels on. do the old tires need to be dismounted and move the sensor to new wheels? i'm kinda confused to where this sensor is. thanks.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:44 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may not be directly related to this thread but, I am wondering where inside the rim are the sensors located...using the valve stem as a reference?. Also where should the decals on the outside of the wheel be located...using the valve stem as a reference?.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tigerhawk
How do I make this turn off. Tires are not low!!!
As someone else mentioned, which light is it? If it's the "Service LTPWS" light *and* you just don't wish to have the benefit of the system as a whole, you can take the display unit out from the dash and remove the bulb that illuminates that particular message. It's just a matter of removing the trim pieces from the center console, on up.

Originally Posted by dnut24
the tire sensors are on the wheels? i'm getting ready to put some new wheels on. do the old tires need to be dismounted and move the sensor to new wheels? i'm kinda confused to where this sensor is. thanks.
Yes, the tire sensors are on the wheels. They are held on by bands that go around the wheels. Think about how a belt goes around your waist - it's similar to that. If you are putting new wheels on and you wish to retain the LTPWS functionality, you will need to have the sensors moved over to the new set prior to installation of the new tires. Just be sure to inform the shop that you have the sensors so that they can exercise caution when removing the tires from the wheel. A mention of the price for a new sensor to the shop manager should do the trick...

Originally Posted by TommyL
This may not be directly related to this thread but, I am wondering where inside the rim are the sensors located...using the valve stem as a reference?. Also where should the decals on the outside of the wheel be located...using the valve stem as a reference?
Of course it's related to the thread! If I remember correctly, the sensors are located 180 from (or, directly opposite) the valvestem. As for the decals, I'm not sure what you're referring to...
Old 03-09-2005, 04:25 PM
RED95CONVLUVER
Instructor

it seems like the sensers are located opposit the vavle stems. They are clamped around the rim.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:03 PM
dnut24
Racer

Originally Posted by Perfusion

Yes, the tire sensors are on the wheels. They are held on by bands that go around the wheels. Think about how a belt goes around your waist - it's similar to that. If you are putting new wheels on and you wish to retain the LTPWS functionality, you will need to have the sensors moved over to the new set prior to installation of the new tires. Just be sure to inform the shop that you have the sensors so that they can exercise caution when removing the tires from the wheel. A mention of the price for a new sensor to the shop manager should do the trick...
awesome! i will do that, i'm glad i read this before going and getting tires on new wheels. and yea i'll mention the sensor thing. is it something a regular tire shop can do, or does it require a gm dealership?
Old 03-09-2005, 05:35 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Perfusion rules !!!
Old 03-09-2005, 05:38 PM
dnut24
Racer

i just read something on another post that makes me think. if i'm putting 18's will the sensor bands even fit around the wheel? forgive me i've never taken off the tire to see whats under there.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:15 PM
BlackRoseC4
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The decal is (should be) located on the wheel that tells the dealer (or whoever is doing something with your tires) that there is a tire sensor in there and says "do not break bead here - tire sensor damage may occur" or something of that nature. Discount tire didn't read mine and broke the band. They DID buy a new one though and replaced it.

Last edited by BlackRoseC4; 03-09-2005 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 03-09-2005, 06:24 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the decals, I'm not sure what you're referring to...[/QUOTE]

When these cars were delivered from the factory, there were decals put on the outside lip of the rim to let you know where to break the bead for tire repair, "so the sensors don't get damaged". I'm assuming that these decals were placed 90* of the valve stem if the sensors were located 180* of the valve stem. Is this correct?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:27 AM
dnut24
Racer

from that pic it looks like it has a worm gear on it. is it big enough to change from the 17" wheel to an 18"?
Old 03-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kwik_ta
Perfusion rules !!!
Aw shucks...thanks kwik! :o

Get notified of new replies

To Low Tire Pressure Warning System message on dash (LTPWS)

Quick Reply: Low Tire Pressure Warning System message on dash (LTPWS)